Spoilers TNG: A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido review thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brendan Moody, Jan 21, 2009.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*falls off chair laughing, bumping his skull on his drawing table corner on the way down...*

Now, here's the key question: is the book in Ottawa yet? Anyone here seen it?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wow. Actually neither of those is among the names I noticed. I forgot all about
    who George Sanders was, even though I was the one who gave Sanders that first name in The Buried Age. And I didn't recognize the name Sorlak at all.

So keep looking.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, really.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, charmed as I am by the notion of spending yet more time poring over a list of fictional characters in the hope that one of them will ring a distant bell, I think I'll just wait for someone who can be bothered to help me out by identifying them, thanks.

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

In the casualty list in question, three are characters we've seen on screen, one is a name we've seen before, and one is someone from one of my previous books. I'll say who behind the box....

The onscreen characters are B'Elanna Torres, Miral Paris, and George Sanders (whose death is then spelled out in the very next interstitial bit). The name we've seen before is Lt. Commander Thomas Alan Chafin, a fan who's been Tuckerized many times in the past, mostly by Peter David. The one from my previous book is Sorlak of Vulcan, who was a Palais lawyer in Articles of the Federation.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is starting to need funeral music.

7. Christopher

In the version I have in manuscript, there are two other names I recognized, both SCE-related:
    Captain Anna Maria Amalfitano, who was Sonya Gomez's captain aboard the Sentinel, and Orenthal V. Hawkins, who I assume is Vance Hawkins.
    Were they removed from the final list?

8. KRAD

^ The first name was removed and your assumption regarding the second name is false.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I take it that the second name is named after one of your fellow contributors to The Chronic Rift?

10. KRAD

^ I have no idea what you're talking about...............

11. Christopher

Okay, thanks. But could all those people with the same family name be relatives of the character I thought it was?

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Good grief, don't tell Lynx, she'll have a coronary...:lol:

It may be a little harder to find Trek books (this one in particular) in New York, Man of Steel. I just posted this in another thread:

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the future, there is only one family named "Hawkins".

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I don't know what Borders thinks they're doing. This was the same message they had for Errand of Fury Book 3, and it doesn't seem like they intend to carry Shards and Shadows in store, either. Not putting new releases into their stores (even if its just the less mainstream titles that are being sacrificed) hardly seems to be the way to bring customers in.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I guess they're targeting hardcovers...which are a SIN to buy at a B&M these days.

16. KRAD

Given how common that family name is, I'd say no.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I've ehard rumours of the chain being in trouble, and this does seem the wrong way to try and fix things. For my part, I've stopped going to my local Borders in lieu of a Barnes and Noble which is twice the distance and an extra bus transfer away. Their loss, I suppose.

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Sorry, that makes no sense what so ever!

You hear a shop is in trouble so instead of buying which ever goods you need/want from them in an admittedly tiny way to help there profits and remain open, you decide to go to the competition and thus possibly contribute to the decline of the first shop.

19. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

It's all unnecessary hysteria anyway. The way their site works is that the date they have stamped as the "release date" prevents the "check store inventory" zip code box from showing up and instead it says "not available in stores". On that day (in some cases a day before) the box shows up like normal. As will be the case here.

I've even seen this happen in the case of Gods of Night where the site listed the release date as the 27th and thus "not available in stores" but on the 25th I went to my local borders and there it was. Then on the 27th the box showed up like normal.

20. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

It makes perfect sense. They have ceased to carry the goods (i.e. ST novels) that I want to buy, so I am instead going to a vendor who does carry the books I want. If they my (and presumably other folks) business and thus keep themselves from going under, they should improve their selection (which has gotten more and more sparse in many areas other than just ST books).

Maybe so, but a bit more recently the third Errand of Fury book remains "internet only" at my local borders. Nor have they stocked Shards and Shadows at all.

Over the past year, the two or three Borders stores I visit here in the Seattle/Tacoma area have been stocking fewer and fewer titles. It started with them not carrying as many backlist titles. Now they are carrying fewer and fewer new titles. Recently the store in Tacoma and the one in downtown Seattle have gone as far as to rearrange their floorplans/shelves to make it look like there are more books than there really are in the store. *shrug* For the last decade, Borders was my store of choice. Good customer service, efficient at ordering in titles for me, etc. The last 12-18 months this has gotten to be less and less the case. So, I'll just go elsewhere where the selection is better and the service more accomodating.