Star Trek Uncharted...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Overgeeked, Jun 19, 2015.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm curious to see the outcome, myself, but I see a lot of it as a fan's hope and wish and dreams.

More power to him, but I'm not certain this approach is going to make it, and I don't buy in to every facet of the story.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because, as has been mentioned in the 12 pages of this topic, Paramount does not own the rights to produce a Star Trek television series. They only have a license from CBS to produce films. So either they handed Gummelt some bullshit in order to get the use of his website name for the upcoming Star Trek: Beyond film (the most likely explanation), or Gummelt severely misunderstood what Paramount wanted from him.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

While it's obviously a farfetched thought, and I wouldn't necessarily look to this situation as the defining reason I'd ever buy into the idea, it's always possible that Paramount will one day manage to wrangle further rights from CBS.

Unlikely, but... remotely possible.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

For all we know, Paramount bought the rights to make a Trek TV series from CBS, they just haven't made it public knowledge yet.

5. Quinton O'Connor

Yeah, pretty much what I was getting at. It's not like there's zero way for it to ever happen. It could have happened a while ago. Or it might never happen.

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Let's play devil's advocate and say that this is true. Whey then would Paramount go to some unknown fan whose idea is ten years old (and takes place in the prime universe no less, which the new Paramount movies have avoided) instead of, say, JJ Abrams to create a new TV series? And why would they let this guy blab about it before Paramount made an official statement that they now have the rights to make a new Trek series?

7. Quinton O'Connor

They probably wouldn't.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. If such a deal was signed, it would have leaked to someone in the trades by now.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The lack of actual journalism applied to this whole affair is truly pathetic.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS will always own the rights, that's the wrong way to look at it.

Paramount and CBS need to re-negotiate their film contract , since it expires after STB comes out. From what I have heard, Paramount wants to produce a Star Trek TV show for CBS. So it's entirely possible that CBS will allow them to produce the show to help offset costs. CBS still owns all the rights, Paramount is just contracted out to produce the show. This happens all the time with other shows. There is also rumblings at CBS about doing a series. We should know what is happening in a little over a year from now. A new series will happen in soon enough (most likely in 2017).

As for ST: Uncharted who knows. I wish him the best, but don't get your hopes up. There are several ideas they can go with for a series.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

I agree. Especially disappointing was that NPR article/interview. They should know better.

12. Quinton O'Connor

That's... pretty damn intriguing. Thanks, Tom. (And thanks for the BSG site, while I'm at it. I spent many sleepless hours lurking it back in the day.)