First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chris3123, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm thinking the carousel thing probably happens when he "powers up" (like in the clip), during materialisation & de-materialisation.

Hopefully it stays still the rest of the time....it's cool, but quite distracting.

"It's smaller on the outside". Jenna is completely adorable.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, I kinda like the carousel. I kinda hope its just full of gears and clockwork inside.

You know come to think of it, since the Doc isn't travelling much, I'm surprised the console room didn't have more furniture, bookshelves and such scattered around. Like Eights.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I wouldn't expect to see the Doctor's old clothes just laying and stacks of books with the last pages torn out. But there are other rooms in the Tardis, who knows what they look like at this point.

Although what I'm... curious about, he was WAY too eager to give Clara a key to the Tardis. I mean really. She walks in and he's already giving her a key. I would suspect Modern Clara would be like "Oi! That's a bit quick. We haven't even had a proper date and you're already asking me to move in with you?"

Buuut methinks the good Doctor hasn't gotten any in a while and well Clara is awfully cute and clearly into him.

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's pretty much it. He does recognize a good companion when he sees her. She's up for adventure, he can offer it. Voila!

Also, a pic in the new DWM shows what the new set looks like from the outside, and it is indeed a full 360-degree construct with removable wall sections so theu can shoot from every direction - at last! You can see that while the overall diameter seems to be slightly smaller than the 9/10 room, the central dias where most of the action happens is about the same size in all three modern configurations. With the upper and lower levels fully accesible, there is at least as much useable area as in the previous set, and better options to shoot it with the removable wall sections. It's grown on me fast, this one. B-)

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Well not yet ;)

We'll have to wait a few years for the backstage gossip

6. Nick Ryder

Clara kissed him, teased him about getting his 'get you out of those clothes' line, and if this was on Showtime or HBO, they would have done it in the Tardis...

I think the Doctor isn't just getting A Mate but WILL MATE...

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Will what, mate?

8. Nick Ryder

Mate with Clara

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure about the carousel thing, looks and sounds a bit cheap and I don't want it to replace the time rotor.

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How so? It's still there. I'm not quite sure what actually moves in tbe column this time (I think it's just the central bit with two crystalish doodads that rise and descend to meet in the middle, and six lit columns not moving at all) but it's arguably the most detailed of the central columns in the new series so far. The previous central columns were simple plastic tubes and a blown glass sex aid with shiny bits around it; the latest edition has both oscilating and rotating parts including the carousel. Pretty cool IMO.

Mark

11. Nick Ryder

It is pretty neat looking - can't wait until we see a bit more. I have to admit, I'm glad to see the rubber mallet on a rope gone and the fact that it looks like its not as random and chaotic as the other previous new series control rooms.

I still like the look of the 'coral' supports and the more 'organic' shape - but I think they are trying to take a definite look back at the past 50 years - since maybe they figure old series viewers will tune into the new series and they want to have a few things they'll recognise as 'familiar'.

12. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still not a fan. The floor is really amateurish and boring and the opressive greyness of it all is dour and off-putting. The extra motion of the rotating cylinders is pretty good, but this is definitely a step back from last year.

The Doctor wouldn't, upon seeing this console room for the first time, exclaim "Oh, you sexy thing."

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I keep seeing people complain about the floor and how it's boring and amateurish and whatever, but I don't see what they're going on about. Honestly, I didn't even notice the floor. I was too busy looking at the console, the time rotor, and the bulkheads, let alone paying attention to The Doctor and Clara. Seriously, I find the strong criticism of the floor utterly bizarre. :confused:

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The new control room is alright but I think it looks small. For the first time, the TARDIS seems to be just marginally bigger on the inside.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I honestly feel there's so much crap going on that I don't see how you have time to look at the floor.

I wish it were a bit bigger on the inside, though.

16. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

It is better than the Willy Wonka one.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

He was (probably) looking at the white on white console room when he said that. And in black&white no less ;)

18. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And again the designer misses one of the jokes the TARDIS had in the original series. Which was the high tech console room disguised the fact it was actually a glitchy and outdated piece of junk.

The room itself still looks like a Power Ranger power room to me. The console is okay-ish. I like the Idea of it having controls from different eras but, sadly it looks like 80% of the controls are from the TVM onward consoles rather than an even mix from all eras. Also a nice touch that one of the panels had a large monitor on it similar to one that the console during the Baker/Davison years had. Though it's a shame they didn't mimic any of the controls for that panel such as the joystick. The the controless panel and those two LCD monitors on flimsy stands are rather naff. The center column is really lame as well, with its innards consisting of static light tubes that surround what looks like two dildos that extend and retract while in flight. And that carousel thing was above the console is just plain stupid.

I still wish they would make an updated version of the "An Unearthly Child" console room. I really miss the inner doors, roundel walls, and the fault locator.:(

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The exterior doors are certainly closer to the console area than the last couple we've had -- just a hop, skip and a jump away (though Eleven is pretty good at that) :)

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

:confused:
    Seems like you can fit at least three or four police boxes in there.