(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

From what I've seen/heard about the Scottish Premier League, it seems kind of like La Liga where unless you're a fan of one of the top two teams, you're probably not going to see your team win the league very often.

2. GoldsBawHair

GoldsBawHair Lieutenant Junior Grade

3. Elmer

Elmer Guest

Hi Jax,
    Great threat on football and I most of the members updated my information so thanks for that. I will keep checking this threat for more updates.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I assume you mean thread and not threat :p

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's probably just about the only conceivable way in which you could compare the SPL with La Liga without p1ssing yourself laughing. :lol:

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

7. Skywalker

:lol:

I can't speak for the quality of either league, as I've only seen a few matches of La Liga and pretty much only one match between Celtic and Rangers about two years ago. I'm more familiar with the EPL and Serie A because that's mostly what Fox Soccer Channel shows over here.

8. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As far as my knowledge of Scottish football goes I'm afraid it begins and ends with Celtic and Rangers.

All I know is Liverpool just got beaten shit out of by fucking BOLTON WANDERERS so I'm not a happy chappy!!

I support the Scouse but I'll give an honourable mention to Fulham for beating Toon 5-2. Hell of a result for them.

9. Sandoval

I have a similar reaction when I hear people commenting how Swansea City are like Real Madrid! :lol:

10. Angel4576

Yes, I heard on the radio this morning someone interviewing Hugh Jenkins, the Swansea chairman, and referred to them 'playing like Barcelona' - presumably that's Swansea like Barcelona, like how The Beano is like The Times because both are produced on paper.....:rolleyes:

11. Skywalker

Yep, and my boy Dempsey got himself a hat trick in that match. :techman:

12. Sandoval

Mario Balotelli is a fucking lunatic who deserves to be out for the rest of the season.

13. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

The locals refer to their team and area as 'Swanselona'. And they think everyone agrees! I dunno, they have one good season in about 25 years...

We're in the Carling Cup final. Bloody hell - would never believed that if you'd told me at the start of the season (not to mention still sitting pretty in 3rd in the league!). And after the most one-sided match I've ever been to as well - defeat on penalties seemed inevitable!

Que sera sera - Wembley's become our second home!

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I had a funny feeling you might post on here today :)

Well done anyway, not having a bad season are you.

15. Angel4576

I think most Cardiff fans seemed to be expecting the worst this season, but Malky looks like he's doing a great job there. In fact, two very good managers at work in that semi final. Freedman's done a great job at Palace as well.

Nice that there are two teams doing well that I have no axe to grind with.

It's usually Leeds, Leicester, Forest etc......! :lol:

16. BRG

BRG Commander Red Shirt

My Killie are in national Cup Final again!:)

Kilmarnock beat county rivials Ayr Utd 1-0 in a hard fought, low quality League Cup Semi-Final at Hampden.
    It was the first time an Ayshire derby was played at this stage of a national cup, and just over 25,000 fans made the trip up the M77(15,000 from Killie 10,000 from Ayr) an excellent attendance from two provincial sides!:techman: Proof that there is a lot of support for teams outside the Old Firm, but scottish football really has to find a way to get them turning out every week(Killie are only hitting around 5,000 home gates this season).

Anyway. We will play either Celtic or Falkirk in the final in mid-March. While Celtic will be odds-on to lift the trophy, the League Cup in the only domestic title Killie have yet to win, so hopefully 2012 wil finally be our year!
    BRG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  17. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^

That's a great story. I love it when rivals got pulled together in a cup game after years and years like that.

I nearly didn't, but had to get the Swanselona dig in ;) This season is bizarre - by rights we should be in transistion, yet this entire new team has come together so well so quickly and we're flying. It helps the Championship is so open and we got a bit of luck with the cup draws, but still. Incredible - and the team are so much more fun to watch too. No real sense of expectation, unlike the crippling weight of demand for success under Dave Jones (amazed he's still not taken another job yet).

I know my attention is elsewhere, but am I the only one who's not finding the FA Cup (with Budweiser) at all interesting this season? Just seems like the same old teams playing each other all the time and no shocks at all... The only game I've enjoyed was Wrexham v Brighton on S4C and I think that was more out of Welsh solidarity than anything else!

18. Angel4576

I think they should do away with the League Cup. Teams are always complaining about the number of fixtures and fixture congestion, and more and more unless it's a big game, or the latter stages most of the bigger teams field weakened sides.

Personally, I'd rather that they dispense with the League Cup, and hand a Europa League spot back to the league positions.

19. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The utter devastation of going undefeated through a 16 regular season and making it to the Super Bowl, only to have a historic season snatched away should be enough motivation to push the Pats past the Giants. If it turns out not to be then Bellichick is going to have to answer a lot of sensitive and not easy to answer, questions.

However, on the surface the Giants do appear to be quite capable of once again spoiling the Pats' coronation. They can put pressure on Brady, control the ball on offense, and have a quarterback with the skills and poise to add yet another Patriot's pelt to his belt. In fact, were it not for the substantial psychological advantage I believe belongs to the Pats, I'd pick the Giants by a 3 or less to win it.

The pressure is all on the Pats, they either win it and quell the demons created in 2007 or lose it and make their bitchdom to the Giants official. There is nothing in between, although I'm sure that if the Pats do lose to the Giants again a Pats fan or two will show up here to claim that there is.

20. Angel4576

^^ Wrong thread fella. This one's about football with your feet. You're looking for football with your hands...... ;)