Captain Klaa - translator

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I always thought that Klaa volenteered to serve as Kirk's translator. He knew Kirk as a man of honor, and they had earned each others respect by the end of the Sha Ka Re informal "conference".

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...One wonders where Klaa would have learned English, though. Or are these "translators" in fact just censors, monitoring the workings of the UT as it translates the languages, and editing out anything that might cast the accused in a good light?

Timo Saloniemi

3. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

That's what I was going to say!

I've read that it's just another character played by the same actor, as in here and here, but I like that backstory better.

4. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the various Okuda resources (the Chronology and Encyclopedia), he pretty much outright says that Klaa is the translator in Star Trek VI, from what I remember, so this notion actually made it into a number of "official" Paramount publications, as well.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They do not discuss it with outsiders...

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bumps change. Ask Worf or Kor.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Okuda says a lot of things.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, you can't see the translator clearly (he is in darkness in the broadcast booth) so we have no idea what his forehead ridges look like.

9. Hober Mallow

Given how different the ridges in STVI were from those in STV -- which were smooth and uniform -- I'd say there's no question Bryant sported a different forehead the second time around. Then again, Worf sported different foreheads during TNG's run, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

10. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Ridges? who cares about ridges? Of course it's Klaa. STVI was written so to get everyone on board. Adm Cartwright, who worked so hard during the whale probe crisis, rebranded as the bad guy (I'd call him Cartwright-refit); Sarek hammered into a scene to do essentially nothing just because he is Sarek; Saavik (with her name changed). Clearly Meyer wasn't very inspired and just delivered a custom order by Paramount who was scared VI wouldnt be more profitable than V.

But if anyone really has a problem with ridges, remember Worf himself changed during the TNG run and no one went "hey, who is this other Klingon -- and where's Worf?".

11. Hober Mallow

I did. :) That last forehead change in season five was a big "WTF?" for me. I didn't like it at all. I thought it was too severe. It ended up being my favorite look, though.

If you look at Kurn's appearances, you can see they'd change his forehead to match Worf's.

12. R. Star

Yeah he got demoted after just randomly deciding to take his ship and attack a Federation ship risking war because he's bored. I don't think even Klingon commanders have -that- much latitude.

13. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

They have, but if they decide to make a mess they must succeed. Kruge did exactly the same thing Klaa tried but he kicked the galaxy in the nuts big time: in just one mission he blew up his informant's ship, his spy-lover, the Grissom, the Enterprise, a fucking planet, killed even his crew. A True Klingon hero. If Klingons had tear ducts I bet the Ambassador's eyes would have been moist when he demanded the extradiction of Kirk, JUSTICE!! while narrating Kruge's adventures. Kang and Kor never came close to so bold.

Klaa had a hotter first officer though. Maybe that's why he was calmer. Cost him.

14. R. Star

Yeah but the difference between Krudge and Klaa was big. Krudge wanted to obtain a planet destroying super weapon that supposedly threatened the Klingon Empire. If he was successful he would've removed that threat and obtained a powerful weapon.

Klaa was just bored and decided to start some shit for no reason. Big difference. I could see Krudge's latitude being supported. Heck it was, by the Klingon ambassador in STIV. There was a threat and a purpose to it. Klaa? Heck even drunken Korrd thought it was stupid.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I actually put the question to Todd Bryant at a Brisbane, Australia, convention. At the time he didn't even know that a few official books had connected his two Klingon appearances as both being Klaa, and he told the audience that the bumps were definitely different, so it was a different character. But I read an interview with him a few years later where he mentioned Klaa's demotion to translator, so it's more of a retcon.

Kruge.