Larry Nemecek to announce new book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by RAMA, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And having finally listened to the interview, I'm more convinced that this is a good "next step" project to buy into.

It's just that I want to support my local bookstore as well, but there's that cost issue too...

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I meant who cares if it is consistent with the Star Charts. If it's a good product I'll be thrilled.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I once read about a fan making their own, using a plotting program and the co-ordinates from the Star Trek Maps and Shane Johnson's Worlds of the Federation.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It isn't like there are many choices left - even in Ottawa - any more. There is Octopus Books - but your best bet is still Chapters. It is Canadian and the prices are usually pretty much on par with Amazon.ca, if that's who you are trying to avoid. Chapter's/Indigo didn't have it on their website yet, but Amazon.ca is showing it at $52.

5. DEWLine

True, we've had a lot of attrition over the last year in our neck of the woods. In addition to Octopus, though, there's also still these outfits in Ottawa:

Books on Beechwood
    Perfect Books

6. DEWLine

That would be an interesting piece of coding to play/work with, as different from the whitten.org Starmap as it would be.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not quite the same, but there's this:

http://www.whitten.org/starmap/

It's a mix of real astronomical data and Star Charts information. You can only view it from the same angle that SC shows, but it does provide some more real-world information. It was my source for the identification of "Beta Rigel" with Tau-3 Eridani in Rise of the Federation.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Cool, thanks!