STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gotta love that phrasing. :lol:

Doubtless Into Darkness will be number three at best next weekend, which is relative - it doesn't tell you how much money it will make.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Tracking increased in the couple of weeks prior to release, as one would hope given that's when the marketing campaign is at its most intense, and indicated the film was on track for the kind of opening that would make a $250-300 million domestic gross viable. Given what Star Trek made, that kind of domestic gross was clearly something Paramount was hoping for this time around.

The fact that the opening weekend ended up falling short of that tracking and sets the film up for what is likely to be a drop-off in domestic box office of some tens of millions is no doubt disappointing to Paramount. That doesn't make the film a failure, particularly given what's shaping up to be a much-improved foreign box office, but acknowledging that the domestic numbers are a bit softer than Paramount would have liked is perfectly reasonable.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

And of course the problem with TMP was that it cost too much. Paramount decided to reduce the budget with TWOK and that movie ended up a success, even though it didn't make quite as much as the first movie.

Paramount will have to do the same thing if they wish to make a sequel to STID.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

FTFY :techman:

5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Let's see nuTrek take 8 times its budget like Wrath of Khan did, then talk about knocking it flat. Only about 2 billion dollars to go!

In fact, relative to budget, 09 ranks ahead of only The Final Frontier, Insurrection and Nemesis, by my count.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Uh huh.

I bought a two dollar scratch-off ticket last month and won ten dollars.

Five times as much as I invested!

It's still only ten bucks.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Eight times a dollar is still only eight dollars. Movie economics have changed in, oh, say the three decades since TWOK.

EDIT: Ninja'd

8. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Agreed Dennis, I'm not seeing the issue here... the film has taken in $168 million worldwide and will eclipse $400 million (probably more like $450 million), easily passing the box office take of Trek 2009.

I highly doubt anyone in Paramount is nervously wringing their hands when STID met the original projections by Paramount of $85 million for the total through Sunday. So some genius in marketing decided to announce that Paramount was projecting a $100 million take just before the release in an obvious attempt to drum up buzz about the film... Big deal, happens all the time?

The film is doing just fine.

Yancy

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Costs are much higher now, even adjusted for inflation, but so are revenues from ancillary markets. TWOK and Star Trek were similar-sized hits in the domestic market in their respective years and by the standards of the marketplace they were competing in. TWOK was #6 for the year, ST was #7 for the year.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

I imagine the only person nervously wringing their hands is whoever at Paramount proposed pushing the 100 million dollar projection at the last moment as a smart move. :lol:

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

$400 million is okay for a film of this budget level. $450 million or higher and you're on much more solid ground. I'm sure there'll be a sequel either way, but that sequel's budget level could rest on where in the 400s the film ends up.

Nervously wringing their hands? No. Somewhat disappointed after all the extra expense and the expectations that go with a sequel to a well-liked film? Sure. And, again, the initial forecast of $85 million was for a 3-day weekend, not a 4-day weekend. It makes a pretty big difference when it comes to the ripple effect as the box office run unfolds.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Rth just updated with Sunday numbers. Up 600k from BOM's estimates.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are we winning?

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Sunday was better than expected, so it's a good number.

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, except Wrath of Khan made $80 million profit at the box office, which in today's dollars is around $200 million - and at far less risk.

It's nice that you enjoyed the film and want to champion its cause, but you're being unnecessarily and inaccurately derisory to 'old Trek'. Why not just appreciate it on its own merits without needing to put other things down? It's such a tiresome attitude which really makes these forums quite unpleasant.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes. We're doing fine. Bad Robot will do another Trek film.

17. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to see its doing well though.

I was little worried the both times i have seen it, as both theatres, on Saturday evenings after work, were pretty much deserted in both showings. Obviously that doesn't effect the over all takings on the first week here in the UK but two Saturday nights, over here in my area it's usually a busy night.

Glad to hear its all ok.

Just need a decent director to carry on what JJ has elped create.

18. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very busy here in the UK the three times I saw it, the last two times was during it's second weekend here.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I've seen it three times, admittedly, all weekday early morning/afternoon showings, but the theatres were certainly busier than is the norm for those times.

I guess we can all throw our anecdotal recollections into the pot, but boringly, only time and hard numbers will tell.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

"Oh, the movie only made 100 million for us opening weekend? We should fire the director and kill the franchise" said no one ever.