BSG '78 & 1980 Blu-Ray set (Amazon.de Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Borjis, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

As pointed out by one of the poster's in the linked threads, the FX need to be fixed. One of the worst parts of the show is the re-used stock footage especially in the combat sequences - it's so repetitive that it's distracting.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

At this point, I wouldn't want to see any of those old effects "fixed." The show is what it is. Hopefully it hits Region A at some point, and comes out at an affordable price.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As blu-rays, are they remastered or upscaled?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

From screencaps at the Blu-Ray.com forum, they're not upscaled.

Not the greatest transfer in the universe, mind you, but not upscaled.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Why bother with BR? Get them on DVD. Unless there are some amazing extras included in the set, high-def isn't going to fundamentally change the viewing experience. I've enjoyed my BSG (and Galactica '80) DVDs just fine.

7. Borjis

I have the DVD set and your right that it was a really good transfer.

I got the Blu-Ray of the theatrical pilot that came out earlier this year and it's a massive upgrade in sharpness and detail though.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Like I said in the DVD vs blu-ray thread, if the difference is substantial, I will replace a DVD with a blu-ray, especially for FX heavy stuff.

If I'm buying something for the first time, it would be blu-ray when available.

^ I might think about the theatrical release on blu-ray now. With that one, the entire thing was on film and could be remastered (at least as well as possible).

9. Borjis

Every episode of the original BSG was shot on film and the screenshots of this set appear to have had some re-mastering / clean up done. The film grain is intact, no DNR and only an occasional dirt spec.

The theatrical movie and TV version of the pilot appear to be the same quality.

10. Ar-Pharazon

^ But weren't the FX added later, on video tape, for the TV episodes?

11. Borjis

no it was all done on Film, mostly using the exact same equipment used for Star Wars. Unfortunately they ran out of budget for a lot of new shots over the course of the series, so the frequent complaint about the show is the use of f/x footage used over and over again.

It actually looks pretty good in HD. It wasn't nearly as bad as the TOS star trek compositing.
    Not great, but not bad...the detail in the model work is seen.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The only new footage was the computer sim of an attack on Earth in Galactica 1980.

I might have pushed for a cross over with Buck Rogers, showing the Thunder fighters (original viper concept) landing on the Galactica at last.

13. Borjis

The attack on Earth in Galactica '80 was existing cylon raider attack footage composited over stock footage from other universal movies of the time. I guess you can deem it new, but in reality both foreground and background elements were previously used.

There was some new footage shot for BSG: "The Gun on ice planet zero" which also served as R&D for the upcoming model shoots for The Empire Strikes Back. (they were just figuring out how to do blue screen with white snow backgrounds properly) and a few other episodes but almost all of the space ship combat footage used in the episodes were originally shot for the pilot episode, then re-used over and over.

I've always liked the Thunder fighter but glad the Viper was chosen. A cross-over with Buck Rogers could have been great and very possible since both were Universal productions.

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Cylon attack footage was created using footage from the movie Earthquake with opticals of the ships from the space scene overlaid on it (You can still see black support pylons sticking out of the rear of some of the cylon ships).

I think the only added FX was a couple of blast points matted onto a couple of buildings.

As for remastered FX, all I know of are a few fan created "Remasters" using CGI I've seen over the years. Well done, but not really official.