PICTURE POST!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by firecrackerrrr, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I know this isn't a video thread, but it still seems like the best place for the following since I posted some wedding related pictures already...

If you're on my Facebook you've probably already seen this, but this is the surprise Bollywood dance that my wife and I performed for our entrance to the wedding reception. Had to rely on someone getting a cell phone vid, and this was the best one.

I had to practice for 2 months to get this even close to right, and made a couple little flubs, but my wife was a natural. We even got some volunteer back-up dancers to frame us.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK1qHBWO64[/yt]

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Aww, I love that song! You two were perfect. :)

3. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

That is brilliant! Thanks for sharing it with us. Your wife looks so stunningly beautiful in that outfit. And you look good, too. :)

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

That's awesome! Last fall, I flew back to Princeton for my best friend's wedding, and we (the groomsmen) did something similar for the mendhi event the night before the wedding (you can hear Will, the groom, laughing his ass off seeing all his childhood and adult friends dancing like crazy as he was the one who recorded it on his iPhone):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100160542598297

True story: we rehearsed this on the fly, about ten minutes before we actually did it... which is probably why it looks so silly. Your video was much better! :techman:

5. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice, who's the guy on the right? ;) ;)

That was so great, Ruaidhri!! Congrats to you and your beautiful bride!

6. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Terrific, Ruaidhri! But your bride seems to be much more "musically coordinated" than you! :p

(You're much better than I could hope to be - congratulations again!)

:beer:

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Amazing video, Ruaidhri! Your bride seems awesome and I loved that music. I've had a growing appreciation for Indian culture in recent years and it throws some of the most impressive weddings I've ever seen. Again, congratulations!

8. Kestra

Thanks guys. I'm a little :alienblush: because I didn't mean to try to show off our place; I was just expanding on what I had posted earlier because of eddie's comments. It's an apartment that we're renting right now so I can't take credit for most of the style anyway. But I do enjoy decorating and after moving countless times, I know what little pieces are important to me and I enjoy arranging them around the place. Has helped make the cross-country move easier.

Okay that and the weather ... and the pools, and the farmer's markets and parks and ...

Yeah. Not so homesick anymore. :p

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That is the Company Commander, Captain Lathrop. He looks so young to be a Captain, I know I'm getting old. The person on the left is the Company First Sargent, Sargent Warren.

10. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, that is a Purple Heart. Actually he was injured in Vietnam. Its a very interesting story, out on patrol they encountered land mines. He saved the life of a buddy who stepped on one, injuring him and his buddy. He was actually put up for the Congressional Medal of Honor but was never award it, we don't know how seriously it was considered. He finished his tour of duty and got out. After several years of being out and missing the military, he re-enlisted.

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

That was wonderful! It's people like you who make me reconsider my plan to elope!

What was the song? It was great!

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Bravo Ruaidhari, Bravo!!!
    That was great and a wonderful memory for all involved!! Those are the type things that make weddings fun. I've been to some boring ones where the reception is quite stuffy.

I will agree with a fellow poster that your bride seems to have a tad more rhythm but that really wasn't the important thing. It was a celebration and in that my sir you excelled!!

13. Ruaidhri

Thanks everyone! She loves going dancing, and her sense of rhythm puts me to shame, no doubt about it. I was messing up major portions of the routine even as late as the morning of the reception. We practiced a couple more times in the afternoon with the backup dancers and suddenly it all clicked.

Captain Craig, my wife's brother got married last fall, and the reception was as dull as dishwater. That experience was part of what made me agree to do the dance entrance. We wanted people to have some freaking FUN, and I new that people would be blown away if we did it (especially that I did it). I wish I had a dollar for every time someone said to me, "Sean, I didn't know you had it in you!"

The song is Salaam e Ishq, from the Bollywood movie of the same name. Pretty entertaining movie as those things go. Some big names in it.

That's hilarious! I've busted out some bhangra moves a few times when the appropriate music comes on at weddings and engagements. Drives the old Indian aunties nuts!

14. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

The real Finn
    [​IMG]

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    You have a beagle? Me too! :adore:

16. Ruaidhri

I love dogs with stuffed animals!

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

So, I've like, been listening to the song on a loop for 20 minutes now. My roommates thank you for this, I'm sure. ;)

Ahhh...Bollywood. I tried really hard to like it. I do love the music and the dance numbers a lot, but I don't have the attention span to invest in one of those things. Plus, the gear-shifting throws me. My friend Sonia's (from Delhi) theory is that since Indians traditionally haven't been able to go to the movies often, they want their money's worth when they do get to the cinema, which means the film (in her exact words) "better fucking well be 4 hours long and include every genre!"

18. Kestra

We grow up dancing to this stuff so someone else coming in and doing that well is awesome. And it's more about having fun and trying to participate in your SO's culture. I love dancing at Indian weddings because it's about having fun, which it looks like you definitely did. It's awesome to be able to marry someone you love, but it's even better when you can have so much fun doing it!

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Is the real Finn wearing a tie? I kind of looks like it.

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

He's wearing a harness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.