You're the Producer ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Duncan MacLeod, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Given Star Trek's history of using actors of shorter stature in unusual roles (the Halkans, Ferengi, Platonian dwarf Alexander, little gold guys in Journey to Babel), Peter Dinklage has to be in the cast somehow.

And presuming this is still 2001, Dinklage is two years away from his breakthrough role in The Station Agent, so he wouldn't be expensive.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Natalie Portman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we are going to upgrade ourselves that much for the Doctor might as well have Cumberbatch.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Natalie Portman FTW!

I want her to be Jewish in canon. I want to see a seder in the Mess Hall.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd...

- Can Keating, or maybe make him a nurse. Cast a badass martial artist Asian dude as security chief.

- Can Montgomery, and hire an African, or someone who can do a flawless, reasonably thick African accent.

- Retain Polly, but keep her in standard Vulcan garb, and not in the chain of command - have the pilot be first officer.

- Terminate the TCW, but make the series a parallel universe show (not a XI-like altered timeline).

... The ultimate thing is, though, that the very concept of Enterprise as a show thrusts into the forefront the paradox at the heart of Trek, namely: why are humans so special/so central to the UFP? Dozens if not hundreds of other species have been warping around for centuries more. I've never quite figured it out, and have always thought it best to ignore the question, much as one ignores why Star Warsians speak English (/"Basic"), a combination of Latin and Germanic languages. Not sure whether this question should be addressed, or ignored further.

One more idea for y'all:

- Split the premiere into two parts: the first hour a real-time action ep, a la 24 but with transporters and such, and the second a repair-based ep that flashes back to the lighter times of assembling the crew (see: West Wing's "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen").

5. teacake

How about real bravery on the part of me, the Producer. Make Dinklage the captain and make him a slut.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I grew up watching Star Trek in Spanish (VHS).

ST: Enterprise is the first series I saw "live" in English.

I assume that much of what was spoken during Amok Time was in a Vulcan language and not a Human one.

When there are just Cardassians in the room, they aren't speaking English to each other.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Some of my earliest memories of Trek are with characters speaking German, so I also found it a bit of a cultural shock when finally saw them speaking native tongue :)

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And as other have mentioned, ditch the TCW. It served no real purpose. I might even go so far as to not have the Klingons in at all.

As for the Romlans slowly fold them into the story muchas DSN did with the Dominion, have the odd reference dropped into the odd episode.

Maybe add a new recurring character a civilian who is there to represent the United Earth Parliament, in dealings with new species.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This would've made a lot of sense. Certainly having a Vulcan on board as a diplomatic observer and advisor would've made much more sense too rather than ramming one in as an actual officer of the crew.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I agree with ditching the TCW and Klingons. They just feel over-used. But keep the S4 Augment arc. I'd rather have had Romulans much earlier and more prominent (but in better uniforms than NEM castoffs :p). A female Romulan Commander v Archer/T'Pol might have been an interesting dynamic as well as nod to TOS. :)

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

On further reflection, can Park too - nothing against her, I just don't find her very interesting - and get a British-accented Indian gal for communications.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the fact that the character was obviously afraid of being on a ship.

13. teacake

Her best moment was when she tried to kill herself so they couldn't extract information. My opinion of her shot way up. I also liked her little fling on Risa when the males were all too dumb to even have a good time.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    What I've been saying from the beginning:

1. Turn Trip/Reed into an "Odd Couple" situation. Their differences would be great comic relief.
    2. Go Archer/T'Pol for the romance plotline. Better chemistry between the two actors.
    3. More Billingsley. The man was brilliant.
    4. Add Shran "The Man" to the crew. Coombs is a strong actor who's acting abilities can only improve everyone elses.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Keep Blalock, give her long hair, the Vulcan ears and have her dance on a table top for forty-five minutes each week.

Ratings success and it would do Roddenberry proud!