Boardwalk Empire - Season 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tom, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't doubt it. Like I said, the singer reminds me a lot of Josephine Baker which lived in the same era. She was a groundbreaking performer for her time, breaking a lot of cultural and conventional rules.

Good point. That does explain why we might not be seeing her much this season. If that's the case though, I can only hope we'll be seeing more of her next season or towards the end of this one.

2. Owain Taggart

So nice to see more of Margaret. I guess there really wasn't a reason to fear, as it seems it was only a matter of reintroducing her.

I loved this episode, and it's my favourite of this season so far. So much going on in this one. Capone starts his revenge, Hoover officially takes the reigns of the Bureau, and Margaret gets a visit from Rothstein.

Speaking of which, I wonder what he really was up to. Margaret really seemed disgusted to see him knowing he'd done business with Nucky and as someone from a past that she's tried to escape from. Made me wonder since he knows her real identity if he'll end up being a problem for her. If he mentions who she really is to her boss, there's possibility of her not seeing that promotion that was hinted at.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Valentin Narcisse and his followers are making me nervous. I really hope Chalky gets wise to it.

And Nucky's right and I hope he can catch on to the FBI dude before it gets bad.

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Remus liked this episode because Remus was in it.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Gotta love Stephen Root's characher.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, I hate being right. Daughter Maitland is in league with Dr. Narcisse, who is attacking Nucky from all angles: His associates, his business, his community, and his personal life. I really hope Chalky wises up before the jaws snap shut. I fear his daughter will be the "good" doctor's next target.

It's great to see a lot more Margaret this week including an accidental run in with Rothstein. Beyond the obvious implications of this meeting, I felt a bit weird out by the golly persona Rothstein took on with his fake identiy. Very weird.

It was also great to see the return of Julianne Nicholson and James Cromwell as well as more of Stephen Root. I do wonder what's going on between him and Agent Knox (or is it Tollimer?). Jeffrey Wright finally returns and more going on with Ron Livingston, although I still can't figure out what his game is. There has to be more to it than Piggy Wiggly, right?

Al is going full throttle. And I love every minute of it.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It was a bit rough, but I think Chalky is finally wise to Dr. Narcisse being a genuine peice of shit. Chalky mighn't have academic smarts, but he generally seems to have good instincts. Now that Daughter Maitland just saved Chalky's ass the question is where do her loyalties now lie?

The FBI schmuck has just played his hand openly so now we wonder if Eli is going to sell Nucky out. At this point it looks like it, but you never know.

8. Owain Taggart

This season is kind of depressing me. It feels less developed than any of the previous ones and feels rather different, and it has something to do with the locations they're using. One of the things that made the earlier shows unique and set it apart from other shows was the beautiful boardwalk set, which had an open feel to it. But this season has an indoor feel to it and it feels less atmospheric.

9. The Nth Doctor

Good to see Chalky has wised up not only only with Dr. Narcisse, but also with Dunn. I genuinely worried for Chalky's safety when he was talking to Daughter Maitland to sing the song that was sung over his father's grave. I got this strong sense, along with what Narcisse said to Maitland earlier, that Chalky might met his maker, and with this show, you can never be too certain. I wasn't too surprised Maitland saved Chalky's ass, but it was a relief nonetheless. Chalky will probably be more on the offensive now. And about time, too.

I fear Eli has sold Nucky out, but I hope not, and not simply because I don't want Nucky sold out; we've already gone down this route with Eli and it would feel awfully repetitive if he did this, no matter how understandable his actions would be. Yet, based on the look on his face after Nucky successfully brought Willie back into the family's good grace.

No Richard, Margaret or Al again, alas, but no Gillian either, so that's always good.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If Eli would lay it out for Nucky then they could devise a plan of action to deal with FBI schmuck.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well Chalky is wise to Narcisse and I can only hope that Nucky sees Narcisse for what he is, too.

Stuff for fans of Van Allen.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. Owain Taggart

Nice to see Richard finally settle down :)

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Rothstein looks like he's beginning to slum for lack of cash. :lol:

The scene where Nucky is only to happy to get rid of Eddie Doyle was a riot. :lol:

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's "Mickey" Doyle, actually.

As for Rothstein...well, remember why the Historical Rothstein got killed?

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Yeah, I just retread his background about an hour ago.

16. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

When Rothstein says to Nucky that he was the victim of an unscrupulous broker, is he talking about the meeting he had when he ran in to Margaret? If so I find it kind of hard to believe that he would fall for such a scam. Gambling debt I could understand, it's been established that he had a weakness. But falling for something like that just makes him look like an idiot.

17. The Nth Doctor

"I am relaxed."

Watch out, everyone. Van Alden's fire is back. He's not taking shit anymore (again). I wonder if he'll finally work with Capone properly.

Good to see Richard getting married to Julia, even if it's not strictly for love between them. It's clear things aren't the same with each other now that she knows what kind of person he is, but she's willing to do this for their mutual love for Tommy. I can just only hope she can find it in her heart to see what she loved about Richard in the first place, although that might be difficult with Richard working for Nucky, just as war is about to explode.

Chalky is a hair away from losing everything. His reputation, his club, even his family. Open war with Dr. Narcisse is going to come at some great cost, I fear, even if Nucky gets dragged into the war.

I never thought I would say this, but I don't want Mickey to die. The little bastard has grown on me and I would hate to see him go just so Rothstein can pay his debts.

I've known from the get go not to trust Roy Phillips, but I think I finally see what he's aiming for: Tommy. The question is why?

18. Owain Taggart

Hmmm, I didn't realize he might have been talking about her, but that's likely it. But I don't think he fell for it so much as giving Nucky a hint of who he met. Kind of like a code, as knowing his gambling history, it would make falling for it a bit too obvious. Rather, I think it tells Nucky, "You know who I met? She's trouble, but I have an eye on her." That said, it would indicate to Nucky that he owes him.

19. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone else get the feeling that this season will be Richard's last? The focus on him in the first episode suggested that something big was going to happen to him this season, like the writers were preparing to say goodbye to a beloved character. Now he's married and has a family, it feels like he's being set up for a fall. Maybe I'm just over-analysing things, I certainly hope it's not the case.

On the plus side, Van Alden is making a good stab at returning to the position of my favourite character. I loved him back in season 1, but wasn't such a fan of what happened to him in seasons 2 and 3. But now he appears to have completely lost his mind, which should be interesting going forward.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda surprised Alden's ex-coworkers went after him know how unhinged he can get, still great scene, somebody might want to pick up those bodies in the ally. LOL

This was a great episode, the acting is so top notch in this show.