(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love Arteta to play for England. Have to laugh at Lawro who says it's not right, when he played for Ireland despite being born in Preston :lol:

League Cup tonight, Saints are playing Bolton so I don't expect us to win but if they play a reserve side and underestimate us we could pull off an upset.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Why shouldn't Arteta be selected for England? Rugby and cricket don't seem to mind picking players who aren't 100% English do they? I wouldn't pick him, but I see why people would consider it.

My fantasy team also did well thanks to Bale and Drogba. I did fall into the Blackpool trap though and buy Wigan players for the first game, so points down the drain there.

City are at Peterborough tonight. I really couldn't care less if we lose this one. Glory awaits, but not in the League Cup, and I want Olofijhana fresh for the league.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

He's indicated that he would be and am surprised you all seem ok with it. Whats the point of international football if this trend grows in national football, it makes it no different than club football. The whole idea of international football is nations vs. nations and I couldn't care less about what other sports can do.

I know the England cricket team have benefited from this rule by winning the 20/20 world cup, becoming a top 5 ODI when before we couldn't win for our lives and our test team is probably in the top 3 but its takes away that its our achievements if we need non english players.

Far as I am concerned you should pass one of the following to play for England...

* born here

* At least one of your parents/grandparents/uncles/aunties are English

* Moved here as a child

My problem with FIFA 5 year thing is why can't British citizens play for any of the home nations at will because we all have UK passports not home nations passports be it English, Scottish, Welsh, N.Irish.

British players playing for England I could live with but not oversea's players.

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Once British footballers start with shit like that you'd risk losing the unique historic exception of being allowed 4 football teams in one nation; because what's the point anymore if players can pick and choose?

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ I was just pointing out FIFA allow Poles to play for Germany after 5 years and Brazilians to play for Portugal but not Brits to play for any home nation, seems a little odd. Like I said before I believe FIFA should scrap this daft you have a passport then play for them rule otherwise you might as well have Man Utd, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich in the world cup and not nations.

A little bit of ENG news...

Wilshire drops back into U21's but Gibbs is set to stay in the senior squad. I was very impressed with Gibbs debut for ENG but it seems odd that he has called up Gibbs who has not started any of the 2 PL games for Arsenal and drops Wilshire who has played both games (even if Wenger played him out of position too deep in the centre). Also Richards remain in the U21's so we will have 1 right back again...CAPELLO you need 2 in a squad FFS even if its just for cover, remember our other 2 RB's in Young/Brown have retired and Neville is a tad too old.

6. Roger Wilco

Uh-oh, Iasius is probably opening up the hard liquor right about now. ;)
    Still lots of time left though.

7. Roger Wilco

Well, Bremen made it quite exciting, but deserved it imo; brave fight by Sampdoria though. If Bayern had qualified for the CL like that I would have said "typical". ;)

8. HappyDayRiot

Wouldn't fancy running into Sampdoria in the Europa that's for sure. Let us hope Iasius is well :)

Unbelievable. Cardiff knocked out of the League Cup at their bogey ground - London Road - and managed to apparently get Olofinjana crocked in the first half.

Though most Championship sides have been knocked out already, so it's league glory for us now.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well done Spurs and whatever happens am sure they will be involved in entertaining European matches unlike Arsenal away games and Chelsea full stop :rolleyes:.

4 english teams once again, heres hoping one gets Rangers in the CL, I love me a good old ENGLAND vs. SCOTLAND tie

10. HappyDayRiot

Spurs need to get Roma - every other English team does!

11. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't in the stadium. Regarding fan support, keep in mind that our stadium is currently being renovated and the 'Ostkurve' is in mid-construction and lacked a roof (many 'Ultras' were distributed all over the place). Without a roof, the support was bound to sound weaker. Still, the atmosphere in the Weserstadion could be better overall.

The Sampdoria fans were quite impressive though. Based on what I've heard, they were really good fans that I'd love to see again in Bremen. A bit of too much "dying on the pitch" from some of their players, but the Sampdoria fans were quite nice and are welcome again if we meet them in the future.

I was away from home since last Wednesday, helping my sister move*. I just got home yesterday afternoon. On Tuesday, I turned on the TV at 21.15 when Sampdoria was already 2:0 up at home. I went to bed at half-time, thinking that with that level of play Werder definitely wouldn't make it (shame on me).

However, I couldn't sleep and went downstairs again to watch the rest of the match at around minute 75.

I'm glad I did. This was really the kind of match I've come to expect from Werder over the last years. In some ways it was similar to our defeat in the EL last season when we drew 1-1 in the away match in Valencia and then drew 4-4 at home after being down 1-3 ... except with a happy ending. :D

Being a Werder Bremen fan is not for the weak of heart. :)

I hope Rapid can win their second leg today against Villa. Austria (the country ;)) has been doing really well in UEFA competitions last year and I hope this will continue this year, especially with Rapid (I also like the colors ;)).

Another good year, and you could see additional CL spots for the Bundesliga (the other one ;)).

Besides, your team has earned a place in my heart with your demolition of HSV at home last season. Shame you couldn't repeat that away.

* I can also expect another niece or nephew next spring if all goes well. :D It was really great being around my niece for a week.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. Iasius

Ugh. Inter ... again.

We were already drawn against them in 2004/05 (0:2 away, 1:1 home) and 2008/09 (2:1 home, 1:1 away).

Spurs are interesting and we beat Twente in the EL Round of 32 last season.

This also seems to be Arnautovic's group, his former clubs being Inter and Twente.

13. Roger Wilco

^^
    It's a very difficult group for Bremen imo, you'll have to improve compared to the games against Sampdoria. Bayern typically got the easiest group of all the pot1 teams except for possibly Arsenal.

Not looking too good for Rapid today, playing shite, although Villa sucks too. :(

14. Roger Wilco

UN. FUCKING. BELIEVABLE. Who the fuck is Villa 2.0! :D

Even more dramatic this year. I've got to get wasted now. I love you so Rapid! :)

15. Iasius

Congratulations. :)

Judging by the scoreline, it must've been a great game.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Watched the game and I don't get how Villa blew that one they were just awful for the last 1/3 of the game after looking comfortable. I don't see how MacDonald can get the job unless Lerner is only bothered with his cheque book because when it began to go wrong he looked clueless. When you need goals you don't leave Heskey on the field with Carew warming the bench :rolleyes:. Villa will struggle to finish in the top 10 based off the last 3 performances and a fully fit Dunne/Agbonlahor cannot come quick enough.

They need to get rid of some players without a doubt, Reo-Coker looks out of his depth, Guzan never had a good game for Villa period and Davies looks shaky than a Michael Dawson without King next to him. Not too mention Beybe is plain awful no matter what side of the defence he's on.

Lerner will regret O Neill's departure no doubt.

17. Roger Wilco

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

As for the CL draw, first of all I hate how Uefa try and turn it into some sort of hour long show :wtf: UEFA its tacky just draw the god dam balls next time please.

Man Utd should easily win there group with Valencia a shadow of the team they were last season now they loss Villa & Silva. However Utd should be careful to watch Juan Mata who is very good. Utd/Rangers will be fun and I look forward to an English team stuffing a Scottish one :p

Chelsea will face tricky away ties at Moscow and Marsielle but still should ease through as winners. Arsenal get the typical easy group out of the english clubs invovled so they will ride through to the last 16 but then get knock out soon after. I think Spurs can finish 2nd, there homeform is key and I will go out on a limb and say Spurs will finish 2nd if King plays in the CL games.

for me....

Spurs Last 16
    Arsenal Last 8
    Man Utd Last 4
    Chelsea to finally win the dam thing.

19. Iasius

20. Vurok

Vurok Lieutenant Red Shirt

Some of the Europa League groups are as comparable to the Champions League ones.