Kinda Off Topic: Bad reviews might be good for sales

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Seriously? You must not have lurked very much.

It's totally unfair to say that David Mack's quality has dropped since Destiny. His Vanguard work was amazing, and the stuff he's done with Julian Bashir as well as his Mirror Universe stuff have all been quite good. Destiny, being one of the best trek stories ever, can be hard to top, but it's unfair to say his quality has dropped.

Kirsten's Voyager books have been the best thing to happen to that crew and their little pocket of the 24th century since they've been back from their 7 year voyage. She has made them one of the most cared about crews in all treklit, and that's mainly by people who didn't even really care for the show. She gets high praise because she deserves it. I don't even think she was posting around here until after we already loved her work and had heaped on the praise.

I have no idea what you mean when you say that KRAD tries to be "Comic Book funny". I read comic books, and they are not all alike, so this makes no sense to me. What does this mean? And can you provide an example?

Christopher's "sciency" stuff is a problem? Treklit is supposed to be SCIENCE fiction, is it not? The way he explains everything seems to jive with fans. Who wants to be left in the dark? Why else would his stuff be so high rated? Books like The Buried Age, Ex Machina, Orion's Hounds and his Enterprise stories are liked for a reason. And believe me...it's not because he's everyone's best friend around here. A bunch of posters rag on his stuff, and him, on a regular basis. He doesn't seem to take it personally though. Plus..he was a member here before he was one of the regular treklit authors.

I think you are mistaking fanwank for appreciation of quality work. Even if they all stopped posting here, I'm sure the people on this STAR TREK BBS will still like plenty of the treklit we get month in and month out. It's why we are here. Who would come here to post if they hate it all? (I guess trolls would..)

Which books by these authors have made you feel this way?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen Data Soong's attitude pop up on the board before, and it's always baffled me. As you guys have pretty thoroughly proved, people are not afraid to post negative comments about the books written by the authors who post here. The only reason they get so much praise, is because they tend to deserve it.
    I find the whole "comic book funny" comment kind of baffles me, because comic books really aren't funny these days.

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

It´s a crying shame, because I usually like DRG III ´s novels very much.

I don´t know, if bad reviews are good for sale. I buy a Star Trek novel and read it and then I form an opinion. There are TOS novels that received bad reviews and I liked them and the other way round.