STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

2. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

:censored: This is what I thought would happen.
    And its not the first time.They tried to rip off ST:TWOK in Nemesis. Only it came off like Generations. :brickwall:

The best I can hope for is it will lead new fans to watch TWOK. Maybe then they will demand better quality stories in the future and not mindless action and FX.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Yeah, and even going back to the original TWOK, Carol sez Starfleet has kept the peace for a century. So that would indicate they kept the peace in the LensFlareUniverse at least up until Kirk's birth, right? To do that, they HAD to be military, as talking tough and waving rolled up pieces of paper would not have sufficed.

4. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't see it as a ripoff from a previous film -- some bits of TWoK are there (some even scene for scene, but they're small scenes from the whole), but they aren't important to the overall story. In fact, Khan isn't even that important other than being a vessel to be used [and abused] for the main protagonists.

It's far closer to the story of Wing Commander 4 (which isn't a bad story to be like), i.e., certain elements in Starfleet want to change it into something that will be better served in a violent galaxy [and beyond].

5. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Starfleet can defend itself and its holdings for the most part, but what of the next Narada that shows up? Picard and Kirk pull off flukes via circumstance, and you don't want to rely on that. A whole planet just got wiped out in the previous film, and Starfleet couldn't do a thing to stop it. Enter Section 31 and its new designs for Starfleet.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I just rewatched SFS and TWOK recently (in that order, so as to feel like I was going somewhere) and Spock's death does still work for me too. Probably better than it did when there was such hype and baggage attached to it. And you know what really shows me how right they got it the first time? It is what I call being Python-proof.

If you watch LIFE OF BRIAN and then see LAST TEMPTATION, you find yourself laughing at 'blessed are the ... ' because you're thinking 'cheesemakers' not 'peacemakers.' Certain bit of knowledge or spin can ruin a movie moment forever.

By way of comparison, when I first read about the idea of Spock bleeding green on the glass at the end of TWOK and why it wasn't used, it made me think I'd never be able to see the scene again without howling with laughter. But it doesn't take me out of the scene, which means it must be pretty damn near bulletproof.

(in case you didn't know, they were really concerned about green blood on his hand on the glass might be corny, and everybody was tense about doing the scene anyway. So they're ready, and Nimoy has the glove off so the green blood can be applied ... and up comes the makeup guy. PLOOMF! He uses a PANCAKE of makeup on Nimoy, leaving his entire hand green, then walks off. Obviously didn't get it, and at that point they abandoned the idea. And Nimoy points out that the guy had been working THE INCREDIBLE HULK for years, so you can kind of understand his goof. But when you freeze frame on Spock w/ his hand on the glass, the story makes you picture a photoshop job with a trickle of green - which WOULD have worked -- or the big green hulk hand, and the latter makes you think you could never watch the scene with a straight face again. And you'd be as wrong as I was.)

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

After you were asked to desist from disrupting the thread with bickering and sniping, this continuation earns you a warning for trolling. Comments to PM, if you please.

8. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched it last night.

Is it possible to enjoy a film and yet not like it at the same time? :wtf:

It was right on the edge of what you would expect of a Star Trek film. It was still a Star Trek film. Just.

This really is the Summer-movie blockbuster version of Star Trek. There is a lot to like about this movie - they really took it to another level and they almost got away with it. I can forgive them playing loose with canon, treknology and the odd co-incidence and gap in logic as the movie was pretty enjoyable.

But...

The "death sequence" was right on the line of acceptability (I like the idea of a role reversal and I don't mind them riffing on the original scene if done right) but "that line" from Spock stepped right over it.

Really?????

That was too much. That was a mistake. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I mean, the entire sequence is supposed to tap into the emotional notes that the first movie hit but it just left me cold. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel emotional about a scene that plays almost word-for-word like the original. Not in a million trillion years are they going to kill off Kirk. The "magic blood" was so obvious it was running through my head as Kirk drew his last breath.

I liked the dude on the bridge with a hole in his head and I liked that the gold skinned chick got a line of dialogue. Pine and Quinto were good. Eve showed promise. Cumberbatch was incredible.

Overall - I liked it as a film, but not as a Star Trek one. Maybe. I dunno. Trust me, this film will leave a lot of people scratching their heads.

Also - something was changed in the edit at the end of the film. One year later? What the hell was that all about - it doesn't feel like one year later on the bridge. All that "nice of you to join the crew" business with Marcus. It feels like originally it was going to be 6 weeks later or something and then they changed it to a year to give them time to rebuild the Enterprise.

Thats a minor niggle. The major ones hurt more. More than ever this films convinced me that trek needs to come back to TV.:techman:

9. Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 1 - Bridge Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL!! :techman:

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Um... this isn't PM, sir...

11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

This thread is making me feel sorry for JJ (and its pretty hard to feel sorry for the director/producer of 3 Star Trek and Star Wars films).
    He attempts to fix many of the complaints made by fans for the previous film - eg Kirk gets command to early, the characters don't match TOS. He gives a thousand nods to Star Trek and TOS and he get Leonard Nimoy to appear in another movie. And people complain its too much like TWOK, its too full of fanwankery, too full of pretty SFX.

Even if you don't like it, you have to appreciate the effort to please the die hard fans.

Well I suppose we wouldn't be Star Trek fans if we weren't constantly nitpicking and complaining. Myself included. LOL

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Octuplets, IIRC.

13. Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 1 - Bridge Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thinking aloud......

On the basis of me getting an infraction previously for apparently continuing something that I wasn't, then you should get a warning to, which you won't so a PM would be pointless. I must refrain from having an opinion, silly old me!

;)

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Trying to help, really...

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Khan's blood is so regenerative as to bring Kirk's irradiated to death body back to complete health then why did Marla McGivers die?

16. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Starfleet is the military. Let's not kid ourselves. When the Borg or the Dominion come a knocking, who is there defending the planet? Starfleet, that's who.

17. Therin of Andor

A Ceti eel ate her brain.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plenty of time for a transfusion.

19. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Augment blood can't stop Ceti eels? He does say in that same scene that they killed 20 of his people.

(I can't believe that, out of all of the potential objections, people are focusing on a continuity error between films separated by 30 years, rather than this being yet another dumbass get-out-of-death-free reset button. For Pete's sake, can't anyone in Star Trek stay dead?)

20. Therin of Andor

So, you reverse the death, and maybe the paralysis, but the madness might be irreversible. Certainly even Khan's madness wasn't.