DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'll be getting Legion Lost and Frankenstein. I'm not going to lie, I'll probably dl the rest, which actually has proven effective, since it made me add Detective Comics and Batwing to my pull list for next month.

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe I remember a Legion special from the 1970s that revealed the Time Trapper was one of the Controllers.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I didn't realize they already changed this week to "this week" on Comixology.
    For my plans for this week, I'm hoping to get Batman & Robin, Batwoman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Suicide Squad, and Legion Lost.
    I still haven't gotten any of last weeks yet, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to these. I might see if I have enough extra money this week to get at least a few of them.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting back door in for Gen-13, main character is part of the scientific team involved in the Superboy clone saga.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Hooded Woman isn't an active part of Batgirl. She's seen in a window reflection watching. The black garbbed hooded fgure prominately in that panel is The Mirror.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for pointing out where to look. I just thought it was a coloring issue but I did overlook her totally in that panel.
    Thanks! :techman:

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It's pretty funny of DC. And marvel deserves it for it's douchey moves like "return X number of DC comics and we'll give you THIS."

Marvel, lately, seems to be on the defensive in this PR war...

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm sure that someone will quickly point out that "what counts" is where each company's sales are a year from now, and sure that's true. And Marvel's having a better time at the movies. All of that said, it's got to be a lot more fun to be working for DC this month than for Marvel.

12. Professor Zoom

Oh. Yeah. In the end, it IS only the number of books sold. Especially to those that hold the keys to the offices (Disney and Warners). But these things are about ego. Marvel didn't have to do a trade for DC books, they did it because they wanted to prove something. DC didn't have to buy the twitter stuff, just did it to prove something.

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah; this stuff has been going on for decades. Another example is Captain Marvel. Following good business practice, Marvel makes certain to guard their trademark and publish something with the title Captain Marvel every ten years so that DC is forced to call their book "Shazam" (that's why we had that weird little Captain Marvel special in 1989). However, Marvel also kind of rubs the trademark in DC's face from time to time.

Of course, I don't have any sympathy for DC on that one. When Marvel Comics created their character, the Billy Batson Captain Marvel was in limbo thanks to DC's court maneuvers; DC didn't actually own Billy Batson until the 1970's.

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DC reaped what it sowed with Captain Marvel. People think DC is shitty for enforcing a contract with the Siegels and Shusters? How about actively destroying a whole company just because they could? Where the fuck are the calls for "boycott" against DC for ruining Fawcett with a bullshit legal campaign?

And as for DC not knowing what to do with Cap anymore... Anymore? The plan was to destroy their major competitor. Mission accomplished.

That helps explain, anyway, why the Captain Marvel franchise has rarely (never?) been treated as much more than a nostalgia-laden goof-fest that only a niche of a niche care about, instead of growing and changing and remain in the forefront of the public consciousness, as Superman did.

15. Professor Zoom

I always liked Captain Marvel... though most of my exposure was when he was in the JLI (Giffen/DeMattis) and the JSA. I do wish they did something with him in this reboot.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, I wish I'd edited that faster. Even today, it would likely would survive a 12(b)(6) motion. I mean, they do manage to state a claim. However, it would surely get thrown out at summary judgment in any present-day court.

I like Captain Marvel too, but it's weird to think that at one point he was the most popular superhero in the world, moving millions of units, when now the Marvel Family can't really even sustain its own title.

ETA: However, I've gotta say, unlike with most characters I like, I've got no idea what I would do if someone held a gun to my head and told me to reboot Cap, either. I can say that after Infinite Crisis, I'd have promoted Mary to the position of Captain Marvel, instead of that scrub Freddy Freeman. This is because I'm not sexist, and am not keen, like Grant "Rape? What Rape?" Morrison, on seeing Mary Marvel's nubile young body being abused by an incorporeal New God.

But I have no idea what kind of stories I would tell with her instead. Pretty much anything I'd come up with would probably rip off Miracleman. But someone must have some idea, right?

17. Professor Zoom

I'd go back to Billy being Cap. Just restart it there. The basic thrust of the story would be Billy discovering that he's every much the hero that Captain Marvel is. A sorta Harry Potter thing, a young boy coming into his own. I would make it a "family friendly" book. But, beyond theme and tone, I don't have much specifics.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Woulda been nice if they had used Captain Marvel as "the big hero" in the flashpoint alternate timeline instead of Cyborg.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That would have been pretty cool. Geoff Johns loves Vic though.

20. Professor Zoom

I kinda like what they did, but I think they were using Cyborg to help launch him in the NuNuDCU