Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The lack of K9 would have been at Lis' request - her doing the audio she wanted to do in a more serious fashion, and perhaps more importantly her series, not K9 and Company on audio. She could make such demands on audio.

One of my few Big Finish claims to fame is that I helped get Roy Skelton invloved with them, he has a great serious role in Test Of Nerve, from her first season.

2. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I've finally got a few Big Finish dramas under my belt now. Started with Sirens of Time, of course. It was okay, but not great.

Then I picked a 5th Doctor story at random and wound up with Spare Parts. Now that was brilliant.

And I just finished listening to Storm Warning. I liked it, but I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as I wanted to. I guess I was expecting something...more...from the first 8th Doctor story. Maybe I'll enjoy the separate Eighth Doctor series more...

So, as soon as I can, I'll get the Sarah Jane series. And as I can buy more from the main range, should I start back at the beginning with Phantasmagoria (the second story) and just go from there?

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I started with Big Finish I only went for the 8th Doctor stories, now I dip in and out, I find I enjoy the Colin Baker adventures the most.

A lot of the other ranges are worth listening too as well, Dalek Empire for example is excellent.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I couldn't take Dalek Empire seriously.

It's Micky pretending to be hard.

Micky isn't hard.

He's a tin dog.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Storm Warning is fun, but not amazing. You can follow the main range month-to-month, or just isolate the eighth Doctor ones if you like his performance-- that's what I did the first couple years.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sirens of Time, I actually enjoyed more than expected. Not one of the best, by any means, but, still enjoyable.

Spare Parts, yes, most excellent

Storm Warning yea, it's enjoyable, but, also not the best story, though I do enjoy Charley and The Doctor's performances

As far as where to go next, I've noticed many of the 2004 and earlier are cheaper then 2005 and later, especially for just download (Which is what I do), so, you may want to consider that in your decision.

#6 The Marian Conspiracy introduces Colin Baker's Companion Evelyn, and she is fantastic, as is Colin Baker as Six (I'm going through her stories myself for the first time). The story is pretty alright, though not fantastic, but, again, the Doctor and Evelyn are great together, and you'll be meeting a Companion from the begininng. Her next story is #9 The Spectre of Lanyon Moor which also features The Brigadier :bolian: and is a pretty good story, and her next story is #11 The Apolypse Element, which is where the Evelyn/Six Audios start to become pretty great, I believe, and it features Lord President Romana

So, yea, considering the cheaper prices, and so much Six/Evelyn early on, I would say go in order up to at least #15 (#14 The Holy Terror is very popular and #16 is Storm Warning and the next 3 are McGann/Charley next 3 stories). So, by that time, you should have a good sampling of Doctors, Companions, and Enemies and have a good idea where you want to go from there (Wether you want to continue in order or maybe break off into a certain Doctor, certain Enemy, or certain companion)

Side note: Ooh, #10 Winter for the Adept features Peter Jurasik (Londo Mollari from Babylon 5) and #5 features Jacqueline Pearce (Servalan from Blake's 7; Chesini from The Two Doctors)

Once I get all caught up with everything I already bought (And of course I'm getting Gallifrey Final Series in the Fall), that's what I'll likely do is fill in the holes of the early releases, since they are only $7.99 a download

7. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's only in series 4

8. TJ Sinclair

Waitaminute. How did Big Finish get to use Mickey? They can't use elements from the new series, except under special circumstances. Or do you just mean Noel Clarke does a voice?

9. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Noel Clarke playing a different character, Salus Kade.

10. Guy Gardener

But if you listen to all four in one day... I wanted to punch Susan Mendez. She was a bigger Muppet than Mickey had ever been.

11. TJ Sinclair

How's the Cyberman series? I wasn't really that interested until I noticed James Swallow wrote the second run.

Is there an intro story in or "jumping off" point from the main range for stuff like Cyberman, Dalek Empire and I, Davros?

12. Sindatur

I don't know any of those series, but, the first Dalek Empire story is this month's "Book Club" special, so, it's only 99cents. I purchased and downloaded, but, it's going into the queue, because I have all these Six/Evelyn I want to listen to (Tomorrow I should finish Evelyn's 9th story, and there's 13 left waiting for me to listen). I can't pass up the 99cent deals :alienblush:

I assume Dalek Empire and The Cybermen Series are basically seperate from everything else. I, Davros, I think is his origin story

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  13. Stevil2001

I'm a fan of Cyberman. Cold and heartless-- but that's what you want, I think! It has a very raw feel to it. I reviewed it all here:
    http://unreality-sf.net/2009/08/09/archive-scorpius/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2009/08/26/archive-fear/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2009/09/05/archive-conversion/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2009/10/23/archive-telos/
    http://unreality-sf.net/2009/12/20/archive-cyberman-2/

Kind of. The Dalek Empire draws vaguely on some stuff set up in the "Dalek Empire" strand of the main range: The Genocide Machine, The Apocalypse Element, The Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. But it's pretty minor.

Ditto, the Cyberman audios take place in the same milieu as Sword of Orion and Kingdom of Silver (the Orion Wars in the 26th century), but there's no plot overlap.

I, Davros also builds off some stuff established in Davros. You should listen to Davros, mostly 'cause it's brilliant.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, god, Susan Mendez! I had blanked her out in my mind!

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I also highly recommend I, Davros, especially if you're a fan of I, Claudius.

16. Guy Gardener

By the end actual Daleks were calling her "Suze".

Adopted kids must be so happy knowing that their parents have never had sex.

17. TJ Sinclair

Had a little windfall, so I was finally able to justify buying the Sarah Jane Smith audios. Finished the first one a while ago. I like the premise, definitely, and we'll see how it goes.

But please tell me I can't be the only one who notices the striking similarity between the intro/outro music for this series and the Torchwood theme...

18. Stevil2001

Oh maybe. I hadn't. I like David Darlington's musical stylings a lot. He's good at adding to the feeling of the play without it being sub-orchestral warbling (i.e., he's not Andy Hardwick).

19. Sindatur

Finished Doctor and The Pirates - I enjoyed the Musical Portion, and Evelyn's trauma juxtaposed with Sally's (Though did we ever get a clear answer how Sally was responsible for her boyfriend's death? I got the impression is was a car crash, but, don't recall it being actually stated, nor it being stated how it happened). The first two episodes, though, were pretty frustrating, waiting for something to happen, and I don't believe that frustration adds to the overall enjoyment, I would've preferred that had been handled differently. But the second disk does make up for it, and overall it's enjoyable (Could've been more enjoyable if not for the frustration in the first two episodes)

Finished Project:Lazarus - I loved the fact that it was a sequel to Project:Twilight, and Evelyn's secret was well done, and the additional trauma from Cassie really amped things up. Overall I enjoyed it, but, wish there was a smoother transition bringing in McCoy's Doctor or a little something more with Six and Evelyn before the end of it

Just started Arrangements for War - I'm glad to see they ramping up Evelyn's trauma, and not just sweeping it under the carpet. Anxious to see where this one goes.

20. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain