Fate of Orcs in LOTR

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EmoBorg, May 11, 2014.

1. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I was wondering what happened to the Orcs after the one ring was destroyed and Sauron defeated. Is there any source material that covers this? Were they put in reservations camps like in the events leading up to Warcraft III or were they hunted down and made extinct by Men and Dwarves.

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that with Sauron destroyed, the Orcs and Trolls literally became mindless. Without Sauron to control them the Orcs and Trolls lost any ability to organise themselves . It's possible some managed to make their way far east and hide there, but for the most part they were eventually hunted down and killed.

Tolkien toyed with the idea of writing a sequel to LOTR called 'The New Shadow' which would have involved people starting some type of orc cult. However Tolkien only wrote 13 pages before quickly abandoning it.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I believe the ROTK Appendices mention Aragorn ceeding the land of Mordor to the Orcs / evil humans as long as they remained demilitarized and didn't cross the border.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

RotK, "The Field of Cormallen"

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Orcburgers...

6. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

and barbecued Orc-ribs and fried Orc-loin sandwiches.

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Much like William Shatner, they were typecast and found it very difficult to get any work.

"Ah, yes, Mr Orgblatt, I see you've applied for a job working with the disabled. Unfortunately, I don't think you're the right person for this position."

"But I have all the qualifications!"

"I'm sure you do, but a heavy hand is not what these people need right now."

"What are you talking about? I can be as gentle as a kitten!"

"And add to that the fact that you disabled quite a few of these people yourself..."

8. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst I find this discussion fascinating, I was wondering:
    Can any of you RINGERS recommend a decent LOTR Forum?
    Thanks, alot!

9. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Orcs are like the fantasy world's ultimate villainous race.

10. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...with that sassy Sauron Sauce!...fer dippin'...Mmm mmm and ooo wheee, thems good eatin' :drool:

"One Ring to Fry Them All"

...we deliver...call our Hobbiton Location! :rofl:

11. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Have you not been to theonering.net? The folks there are generally quite knowledgeable about Tolkien.

12. 2takesfrakes

Thanks Ancient Mariner! I was not only unaware of theonering.net, but of any LOTR sites, honestly. I've never read the books - not one. In fact, I didn't even start watching the movies until late in '05, or so.

I only got into it that much in a very roundabout way, because of my being an artist, actually. I am interested in Art Nouveau and through conversations about that and, in particular, its resurgence in the Sixties, LOTR was somehow thrown into the mix as having a huge influence over the Hippie Movement. That really compelled me to look into the LOTR, but only superficially. That Tolkien's work could've - especially indirectly - been almost singlehandedly responsible for an entire generation's statement as to what they were about and how that, in turn, found itself reflected in the art of the period was something I wasn't about to just gloss over.

As far as the movies proper go, I found them to be absolutely stunning, visually. "Enchanting" comes to mind, as how I would describe it. And I did fall in love with Éowyn - I could not help myself! She was very charming and I was disappointed that she didn't get with Aragorn, as the movie seemed to suggest she was going to. But my interest in LOTR didn't go that far. Until recently, because of a documentary called "RINGERS," I believe, I wasn't particularly interested in the modern-day fan perspective. But this project brushed on so many aspects that intrigued me, that I have to admit, I find myself being charmed by the love the fans have for LOTR. How TREKKIE-like they are, in their own way. So, anyway ... there it is.

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

In that case, enjoy the site! And, if I'm not mistaken, that documentary originated with some of the people at TORn.

14. 2takesfrakes

Small favour's greatly received! Yes! This is the very documentary of which I speak. It's interesting how this fairy tale about Wizards and ... and so forth ... can capture the imagination of people whose daily lives would seem beyond mythical to any of these characters in Lord of the Rings. And yet, there's still some part of these RINGERS that wants to believe in Magic, the way ancient peoples might have. The escapism that fantasy offers is at least as interesting as the genre, in my opinion. And when I come across explorations into that, such as the documentary we have here, I'm right there along with them, popcorn and all ... Thanks again, for the link(s).