Countdown/Novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by phrog, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that again? That was a throwaway joke that got a bit out of hand. I'd really prefer not to see it perpetuated in earnest.

That's true. The beauty of the movie's approach is that the old and new versions of ST can coexist.

Indeed. As I said, background information -- species, planets, cultures, pre-divergence history -- established in the film is presumably real in the original timeline as well and could be followed up in books set in either version. But anything arising specifically from the events of the film would have no effect on the original timeline. That kind of followup would only be found in books or comics that are actually set in the movie timeline (as the recently announced IDW Spock: Reflections title appears to be).

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Harold is funny because it's actually the most convenient way so far we have to refer to it. What should it be? The old continuity? It's still going; that makes it sound like it's over. The original continuity? Sounds too much like the original series. What should we call it?

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I was going with "Trek Prime," but I think I like "Harold" better.

4. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

You do realize that you've now guaranteed the name will stick for a good five years at least now, right?

5. Christopher

Lately I've been calling it "the original timeline" with "OT" for short, although that does sound a bit like OT for "original trilogy" in Star Wars fandom.

And part of the problem with "Harold" is that it isn't even an original joke -- I was just referencing D.C. Fontana's joke that Spock's first name was Harold.

6. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others have mentioned, there's plenty of time between the recent 24th century novels and Countdown for pretty much anything to happen. I think that the only event that would probably have to happen soon (in order for it to be the most believable), would be B4 becoming like Data. There'd have to be a LOT of time between B4 making the transitions to becoming more like Data to eventually being captain of the Enterprise.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey I thought Spock's first name was Carl.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I know, it's not that at all.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The more I think about it, the more I think a book about B4 becoming Data could really be genius, watching him slowly change from fragmented and effectively retarded to the Data we know and love.

I'm all for leaving characters dead, generally speaking, but I think there might really be an interesting story here, especially if told across several years.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Can Jeff Lang write it? Please? Pretty please?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I already asked him, weeks ago. He isn't currently planning to pitch any Trek.

12. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

I think that there shouldn't be a Data "reborn" thing, if they choose to go down this line then it might be more interesting if they do it like they did the Trill ideas, ie Data is the symbiont and B4 is the host, rather than just having bing bang boom Data's back

I also agree Jeffrey Lang would be a good choice to write a Data rebirth story :)

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Particularly if there are setbacks along the way; like Flowers for Algernon, but with a more upbeat ending.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Christopher

Just a reminder that any discussion of bringing back Data should be kept entirely abstract, with no specifics about how you'd want to see it happen, nothing that might qualify as a story idea.

15. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. My original post was longer, before I realized I was doing just that. Perhaps it is stereotypical of me to say so at this point, but I really would like Data back eventually; and I do think there is the potential for some really beautiful story (stories?) to be told to that effect.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do agree, althought instead of one book, I think it would be more interesting to see it as a story arc in the TNG relaunch.

17. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

That was Jane Wyatt, actually. She was attending her first (possibly only? - not sure) Star Trek convention, around the time Star Trek IV came out, and some fan asked her what her "son's" first name was. Not knowing that there was any fan speculation on this, she just gamely replied "Harold." I've always loved that story!

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

:guffaw:

Yeah, good luck with that. I mean, really, have you met the Internet????

19. Elemental

Once Harold is dead, the only required reading for the new universe will be Articles of the Federation, right? ;)

20. Elemental

I agree. Which is one of the reasons I think it's disappointing that the new TNG novels booted B4 off the ship so quickly.