The 12th Doctor's Wardrobe Revealed!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know....

I don't really see Pertwee. I get more of a Colin Baker vibe...

[​IMG]

And of course, bow ties are still cool.

2. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I like the outfit, the pants look like they are a little too long for him.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Parts of it I like, but I'm not a fan of the red lining; it's a little too Austin Powers for me.

I don't in general like the Doctor's outfits to get too eccentric. To me, the gold standard for Doctor costumes is still the Ninth Doctor's.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uninspired, but OK. Won't really subtract or add to the show.

Conceptually, it's a piece-for-piece modern translation of a 19th century gentleman's outfit; costume-by-numbers:

- For proper laced boots, substitute cheaper (and cheap-looking) DMs. Even Matt Smith's boots looked nicer, and they weren't exactly great either.
    - For a frock coat, substitute a sized-down Crombie.
    - For a waistcoat, substitute a cardigan (maybe sleeveless, given the french cuff shirt, but impossible to really be sure)
    - Keep a white shirt, but lose the cravat. French cuffs instead of lace frills.
    - Trousers are pretty much like-for-like, though these are probably a bit more rustic in material perhaps.
    - The choice of dark navy is straight out of Brummel.

Also, the styling details fall awkwardly between the scruffy Doctors and the smart ones. If that was deliberate intent, I think the lack of clearer direction is a mistake.

The sweep of the coat and overall Pertwee-esque pose suggests that they were going for a feel more in keeping with the elegant ones, but the details let that down. For example, the boots look actively cheap, as does the cardigan, and the trousers don't fit terribly well.

The same overall effect, but much greater style, could have been achieved by using a nicer pair of black laced boots (eg Trickers Stow) & cleaner-fitting (but still slim/tapered) flannel wool trousers instead of what looks like moleskin/brushed cotton. I'll assume the shirt fits acceptably well in a normal pose, though my gut says it probably doesn't. Its style is fine, verging on good. The cardy is OK too, but I don't like the shiny buttons (though it's not clear if they're smoked grey mother of pearl or plastic that's caught the flash; either way, horn would be much nicer. IIRC Sunspel do an almost identical v-neck cardy with better buttons). The overcoat is probably the nicest element of this modern interpretation, and it's nice a fairly traditional brand like Crombie get a high-profile shout-out.

I also think he'd look better in a suit rather than mismatched coat & trousers, but given the use of an overcoat as the top half, that would mean far too thick trousers if they did use the same material for the trousers, so OK, fair enough.

It's not a bad costume at all, though. Just a bit mediocre.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^A Holdfast sighting!

*waves*

6. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the simplicity of it and also, keep in mind that Matt Smiths costume changed and evolved during the course of the series.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hi!

Yeah, I stopped reading the board regularly a while back. Nothing really changed, I just lost interest. I still browse a couple of forums once a week or so though. Usually TNG (for the caption contest) and GTV & SFF. And so, a topic about the new Doctor's wardrobe grabbed my eye! :)

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The kind of suit you'd reverse the polarity of the neutron flow in. As a Pertwee fan, I'm VERY happy about where the show seems to be going. Pertwee wore a ring with a blue stone. Wonder if this new one will be similar?

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I miss having regular access to your sartorial insight. :)

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

^This is beautiful.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That's awesome. :lol:

He also seems to be wearing a bracelet, just like Pertwee. I approve. :) Not sure about the fit of the trousers - it seems a bit off but that might just be the pose.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think that was just about symbolizing the end of the Smith era through the ceremonial removal of the bow tie. I mean, they made quite a big production out of him taking the bow tie off and dropping it on the floor. That wasn't to set up Capaldi, that was to send off Smith.

14. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

While the red is a small call back to Pertwee, this outfit screams Smith more. And I'm okay with it since I liked Smith's Victorian outfit and thought it would've been perfect for Capaldi. Luckily Smith only wore that outfit for six or seven episodes and it's not really identified with him the way the tweed was. Glad to see they thought the same way and didn't stray too far from it.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I like the new look and it's different enough from past Doctors.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the trousers and Docs but I don't like the coat.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The pants seem a little long in the crotch, but that might just be the style. Or the crotch. :eek:

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they're his action pants. I remember as a kid they had magazine ads for Chuck Norris Jeans with Extra-Wide Crotch so you could kick someone's ass without splitting your pants. :lol:

Hah, should've known the internet wouldn't let me down though I can't find the "Extra-Wide Crotch" wording I remember.

http://joggingjeans.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/chuck-norris-kicks-ass-in-jeans/

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A bit underwhelming, really. It's not a bad outfit, it just doesn't really stand out that much. Maybe it'll work better when we see Capaldi in action wearing it. I do get Pertwee vibes off it, which I like, so there is some promise here.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

No one else thinks he looks like a magician? (not the modern grunge ones but the old school ones).

After 3 great outfits in a row (Tennant and Smith's two) this one underwhelms me.