IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Sure, it can be rationalized away. And I certainly get that's how it's supposed to come off. But as a sequence, I felt like something exceedingly obvious was being portrayed as some serious mystery. It pulled me out of the story and I felt like characters who should be smarter were dumb for the sake of a rushed, silly sequence.

That's true. it's just that Picard's objections are a lot stronger than they were in similar situations in the series. I don't mind it, it was a nice touch, but just not necessarily in line with what we know. (Maybe DTI is cracking down post Hobus?)

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Picard just wasn't in the mood to be dealing with Q and wanted him to shut up?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The way the scene read to me was that Q was trying to get Picard interested in getting involved in the events of that timeline, and Picard figured it was a good idea to nip that in the bud before Q dragged the Enterprise off on some highly dangerous spacetime escapade.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Is Picard ever in the mood to be dealing with Q? :guffaw:

And robbed both Q and us of a classic "My Enterprise (Kirk's) is bigger than yours" moment. Ah, cest la vie...

5. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

October (part 4) solicit's up: http://trekmovie.com/2014/07/16/trekink-star-trek-comics-coming-october-2014/

Odo's on both the main & photo covers, but who's the Cardassian meant to be? (if it's Dukat, he's way off model. He looks familiar, but not him...)

This is just hours after the events of ST:Countdown. Not that much time to start a crackdown :)

6. Christopher

I think it is Dukat. Q is even more off-model.

7. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Is that a Klingon bird of prey flying alongside two Jem'hadar battle cruisers? :wtf:

8. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yes, the design is unmistakeable.

BTW, I wonder whether we get to see Alternate Reality Dax at some point.

9. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Heck, we should get to see the 23rd century Dax at some point.
    I'd be all for Emory or Audrid to be in the movies for that matter as a love interest for McCoy, as well as a strong and interesting character in her own right.

10. Markonian

But she's a woman. I don't think that works with the movies.

11. Christopher

You haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Captain America: The Winter Soldier, then.

12. Markonian

Guilty as charged. I didn't like to see a reboot so soon after the one super-hero story I cared about, especially when it was just produced to spite the creative head of the original trilogy.

I'm going to see both movies anyway sooner or later. Anyway, I guess they had strong women even though they're movies? Reminds me of this cartoon:
    http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3408#comic

13. Christopher

Gwen Stacy is a fabulously strong character in both Amazing Spider-Man movies, a hero in her own right (to the point that I wish they hadn't been so faithful to the comics in the way her story ultimately resolved). And The Winter Soldier should really have been called Captain America and Black Widow: The Winter Soldier, because they were pretty much equal partners.

14. borgboy

The new Trek movie really needs more strong female representation. Carol had a few moments where she did shine in the last movie, but overall I didn't warm up to her. I like Uhura, and I'm intrigued by her relationship with Spock, but I'd like to see her shine more than just as a girlfriend. I'd really like to see some strong characterizations of lead females like Chapel and Rand added to the cast - and, yeah, one of the female Dax of the era, Emory or Audrid. Probably asking too much from just a movie, when there's not enough time to really explore the characters. I wish we could get a tie in tv show to complement the movie, such as a space station setting or something, with little cross overs into the movies. The Enterprise crew is, as it always was, too human. A Trill would help bring a little alien diversity to the mix as well as adding a much needed female character.

15. Markonian

They'll stick to the original TOS characters and won't add a Trill simply to not offend some 'fans'.

Surely Dax will still be around when the movie trilogy concludes and we get the relaunch novel series. ;)

Or the comics carry on the story. Any chance we could meet Captain Tiberia Kirk again? There's a setup that was underused.

16. borgboy

Is the reboot movie series limited to just a trilogy? I thought the series was open ended. I hope the next one isn't the last of that series. I'd be interested in seeing how the novels could explore and expand on the reboot universe though.
    I do have this weird fascination with wanting to see the 23rd century Dax in the reboot. Dax, with Chapel as my second choice, would be a good love interest for McCoy, who deserves more story and characters to interact with. All the action focuses on Kirk/Spock/Uhura and Urban's McCoy has been excellent but underused.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The actors and producers signed a 3 movie deal back in 2007(8?)

There was one interview posted online with Chris Pine after ID hit theatres, saying he had signed for two more movies - although it's quite possible it was just an old interview from 2009 reposted.

18. Christopher

That's why I wish they'd done a wholesale reboot instead of an alternate timeline. Then characters could've had their gender or ethnicity changed.

What's interesting is that TOS started out with two female regulars. In "The Cage," it was Number One and Colt; and in the early first season, Rand was the female lead and Uhura was semi-regular. Rand was higher in the credits even than Scott and Sulu, about on a par with McCoy. So things could've gone differently.

We don't know. Hollywood these days seems to default to trilogies, but there's no reason why it would have to end there. Just because a trilogy is what they have planned to date doesn't mean it's limited to that. It just means that's as far as they've planned. What happens after that, I suppose, depends on how the parties involved feel about their future plans. I'm sure Paramount will want to keep making Trek movies -- they've been doing it for 35 years, why stop now? -- but there are various ways that could go. Maybe Abrams and/or Orci would do more; maybe someone else would take over the Abramsverse; maybe they'd start over with a new series. Who knows?

You know, it just occurred to me: Every studio these days seems to be trying to copy Marvel's multi-series shared universe. Fox is developing more X-Men spinoffs and the Fantastic Four (maybe in the same universe), Sony is trying to stretch the Spider-Man franchise into a shared universe, and Universal is developing a coherent shared universe around its classic monsters. Disney's even developing Star Wars into a wider film franchise, with a mix of "Episode" films and solo-character focus movies. I'd be amazed if Paramount were blind to the potential of Star Trek to support a multi-series franchise, since it's already been one on TV. Maybe we could see a master plan to reboot TNG, DS9, and VGR all together.

19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I think overall that is the most recent word from Pine and any of his co-stars, but I'm fairly certain that no one has ever said anything about no extensions allowed or anything like that.

All that said, I don't think Paramount is extremely keen on Star Trek since Star Trek Into Darkness didn't perform meteorically at the box office.

20. borgboy

Disney is planning to do a new Star Wars movie every year. It would be amazing if we could get a new Trek movie every year! They could do TNG, DS9 and VOY reboots, one new movie every three years. Or keep TOS -Reboot in the mix somewhere too, that would be good too.
    There has been talk of a TNG reboot lately, but I hadn't really thought about DS9 and Voyager reboots. I'd rather get the original casts, but if that won't happen, then reboots would be amazing, especially if we were getting the movies so often. The wait for a movie every three years or so is pretty long. Obviously, we want the quality to be good as well as frequent.