Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Abby/Ichabod scene before he swallowed the poison was beautifully done. The writing and performances were top-notch.

"You never called me 'Abby' before..." Great stuff.

Add in more Katerina, more Abby's sister, and the introduction of John Noble's character and this episode was full of great stuff.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think the sister sounds weird without he fake English accent.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually that line was my least favorite part. I felt it undermined the impact of the "OMG he called her Abbie" moment when she actually said "You called me Abbie," as if we weren't smart enough to figure out the significance of the moment for ourselves. Sometimes words are unnecessary.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, the line could have been smoother. Maybe if he had started with Abbie and then corrected himself instead of her lampshading it.

"Abbie - Leftenant"

5. Christopher

Why would he have corrected himself? That would've worked against the impact of the moment even worse. Using her first name wasn't a mistake, it was a meaningful gesture, an acknowledgment of what she's come to mean to him. And that spoke volumes on its own without her needing to state the obvious. Nicole Beharie could've sold her reaction with her face alone, because she's awesome. She didn't need the words as a crutch.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Wish John Noble would've said "Astro"....

7. sojourner

OK, then reverse it, "Leftenant -Abbie,"

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode. I enjoyed learning more about Ichabod and Katrina's history, and it was great to see Abbie's sister and John Noble. I also liked the scene where she actually talked openly about what was going on with Irving, it's nice that for once the boss isn't a constant hinderence, with him constantly getting in the way as the heroes sneak around being all heroic and stuff. It was weird seeing James Frain actually playing a good guy for once.

9. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the dialogue was a bit unnecessary, but I think the spoken sentiment worked better because of how she nearly choked up as she delivered the line. The show is still fairly new so maybe the producers were hesitant to allow a remarkable moment to slip by without a, ya know, remark. Spoon-feeding the newborn viewers who may not have seen every episode and understood the significance of him calling her "Abby."

Speaking the line or not speaking the line, I will completely agree with you on the actress' awesomeness.

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really wish that they hadn't given the Headless Horseman's horse red eyes. It's so silly looking.

11. sojourner

Yeah, it's a real nightmare.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yiou know what I really love about the show? The cinematography. They really go out of their way to give us creative, clever and beautiful camera work.

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Agreed - they're doing lots of different things with angles, lighting and lenses without resorting to that tired old cinema verite shakey-cam crap. So glad that's starting to go away finally.

14. Christopher

Oh-h-h-h-h-h. Well-played, sir.

15. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Word coming down today that the issue of Icabod's clothes is going to be addressed.

According to SyFy

The only thing that has really bugged me about the clothes is that after all those years in the actual ground (not in a coffin), the wool and cotton should have decomposed, at least partially if not all the way.. He should have come up out of there with nothing but his boots on!

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It could be argued that, since his apparent immortality is magical in nature, that his clothes may have benefited from magical "spill-over", as it were.

Granted, I pulled that one out of my arse, but it's as good an explanation as any.

While he does look righteously good in those clothes, I suspect that they're a bit ripe by now, in a way that not even an industrial washing machine could purge.

Then again...magic... :)

17. sojourner

According to SyFy?

18. Christopher

Blastr is Syfy's news site. It used to be Sci-Fi Wire.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

We had the Roanoke episode in the UK last night, and Abbie did mention that he could use a change. (they must stink by now!)

Not as dodgy an episode as I expected from the comments here- I dunno why the colonists spoke Middle English when even Ichabod himself dated that language to centuries before them, but so long as he mentioned that fact, then I can hold out hope that it's a deliberate mystery.

Oddly, neither Lesley nor myself needed subtitles for the adults speaking it, but did need them for the kid's lines...

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, his clothes looked rather clean in the last episode. How he cleaned them while having NOTHING else to wear...could make for an interesting image. Too skinny for my preferences, but those eyes....amazingly blue eyes.