Kindle Broken - Likelyhood of Replacement?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Queen Mab, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Queen Mab

Queen Mab Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am in the United Kingdom

I have a Kindle Keyboard that has broken. What kind of replacement or offer can I expect from Amazon?

I originally bought one on 9th April 2011 for £152.
    The screen broke once and they sent me a replacement for free on 6th Feb 2012.

Now in December 2013 this one's screen has broken again.

Before it was within 10 months. And Amazon were trying to prevent bad press about the Kindle because it was new.
    Now they no longer sell the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle is more well known.

What kind of response can I expect from Amazon? I would like to hear from people who have dealt with them regarding this (or similar).

What did they offer you? What was your situation? Did your Kindle stop working? Did you break it?

If they offered you a discount on a new model, how much was it? (either in £ or % off)

I would like to learn more before phoning them as even though I am not at fault. I don't want to say anything that would otherwise allow them to tick a box and send me a replacement or give me any offer. So please don't comment I should ring them and see what they say.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Makes no sense. Why include the spoiler info, or this thread at all. Only one that can answer the question you don't seem to want to talk to...for some reason...

Honestly, it's over 2 years old, and you've broken the keyboard and the screen (twice). Kinda seems like it's not a defect, but you not taking care of your equipment. In their place, I wouldn't offer you anything, especially since they've already replaced it for you once. But Amazon is pretty good about taking care of its customers, so there's a chance. Definitely getting towards getting your account flagged, though. They're cheap enough that I'd look at buying a new once, seeing as how it doesn't seem like Amazon's fault it broke (repeatedly).

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I don't understand why you don't want to call them. They're the only ones who will be able to tell you what they'll do about this.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the real answer though is to buy a case and treat your toys better if you want them to last. Not Amazon's fault that they've been through 2 of them in 2 years...

5. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

When I broke mine during the warranty period, they replaced it right away. When I broke one out of the warranty period, I just threw it away and bought another.

But yeah, get the case, it helps. I have the kindle paperwhite now, and I love it.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

So do I, and so do I.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

8. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

my sister had hers replaced twice without problems. Though the second time they asked her if she wouldn't prefer one of the new models at a cheaper rate. Not a bad bargain, I think.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Given it's probably out of warranty and most likely your own fault for breaking it, I doubt you'll get a replacement.

Where I work (one of the big three supermarkets) we have an insanely easy return policy, but if it's out of warranty or no receipt/proof of purchase, you've got no chance.

10. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

my sis got a replacement even though she dropped it (so it was her fault). I'd just try it. They can't do worse than saying no. Often, companies are surprisingly obliging.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

less so if you've clearly damaged it yourself, though. AND they've already replaced it once, for free, due to user damage. And it's out of warranty.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Why would Amazon replace something you bought two years ago?

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want my kindle keyboard to break so I have an excuse to upgrade to the new one, I've bought some for people as gifts and they look pretty sweet :lol:

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only way I would give up my Kindle 4 is if someone offered me a brand new Kindle Fire 2. That's it, because I love my Kindle 4 and to get it, one would have to pry it from my fingers with a crowbar, and even then I may just resort to biting.

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost asked why they would ever replace something broken by the consumer, but maybe they have a calculation where it's worth it to them to keep selling the content.

I have a four year old K2 that has never given me a bit of trouble. I have thought about a newer generation but (a) can't justify replacing something that's still working well and (b) the new e-ink models no longer have text-to-speech, which is unfortunate.

16. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the point of replacing the item to continue selling content... I wouldn't be surprised, a while back pretty significant coupons towards new Kindles (or maybe just Kindle Fire) were being sent out, and seemed like they were directed to people buying a lot of content. I've bought more Kindles than eBooks from Amazon, and naturally didn't get any coupon. I wouldn't be surprised if support staff also had access to that sort of information. Maybe some people would get Kindles replaced for free, but I seriously doubt I would unless it was in warranty.

17. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A keyboard? How quaint!

:D

18. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I was going to suggest that they probably would want to replace a Kindle for someone who made many purchases. I have bought over 300 Kindle books in the last three years via my Amazon account. Some of those have been for my son and best friend who have their devices registered via my account but at least 220 of them are for books I purchased for myself. Though I do own a Kindle I read them mainly on my iPad so I don't think I would care about replacing a Kindle if my Kindle broke especially as I plan to buy a iPad Air next year.

19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Well, speak of the devil. My Kindle paperwhite just broke. So I went to their support site and started a chat and they are going to ship me a new Kindle. Which is fine, but now I don't have my Kindle for this weekend. Oh well.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You have no right to a replacement, repair or discount - you've had it for over 12 months. No retailer would normally do that unless you have some sort of extended warranty or cover.

You might be able to pay for it to be repaired - a quick check on Google turned up places doing it for about £60.00.