The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Not to mention the fact that pics from the Captain America 2 set show Natasha getting friendly with Steve. This thing is gonna explode. :lol:

2. OdoWanKenobi

Sorry, double post but LOOK WHAT I FOUND! EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

[​IMG]

Sandtroopers were already gone by the time I got there. Not surprising, since army builders will go fast. I managed to snag the very last Luke, R2, and Maul on the pegs.

[​IMG]
    R2 all kitted out. I'm really happy that he comes with everything that he does, considering he's much smaller than the rest. I don't quite feel right dropping 20 bones on him, but oh well.

[​IMG]
    And here is Luke and R2 together. So yeah, R2 is a bit too small. He should be about mid-chest height on Luke. Instead he's about waist height.

[​IMG]
    Another one of Luke.

[​IMG]
    Maul's cloak looks great, but it does restict the articulation in the arms a fair amount. It's interested to note that the head is actually sculpted to the hood which keeps it looking right, and he comes with an alternate hoodless head.

[​IMG]
    Seen right here.

Both of Maul's and Luke's lightsaber blades are removable and the hilt can be worn on the belt. That's a very nice touch. Also Maul's hilt splits in two so that you can recreate the later stage of the duel.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    NICE! Congrats, man!

I have yet to see the first of either scale in the Black Series pop up in my own local stores but I'm keeping my eyes peeled and they should be on the pegs soon.

Yeah, the R2 is way too small and isn't properly in-scale with the others - I think the company cheaped out on him and used less plastic for whatever reason(s) and still decided to call him a 6" scale droid - but he does look pretty great and comes with a lot of pretty screen-accurate tools and accessories. I'm glad you scored these! :cool:

4. OdoWanKenobi

The 3 3/4 Black series was on the pegs at TRU, as well. Honestly though, great as they look, with the 6" figures coming now I think I may be done with the smaller scale for the forseeable future.

5. cooleddie74

With much more exciting characters like Darth Plagueis, Vizam the Skiff Guard and Mara Jade coming in future 3.75" waves I'm probably going to be more focused on the smaller figures, but the new 6" stuff does have my attention and I want to get at least one of each in the new line.

6. OdoWanKenobi

Ok yeah, I forgot about Mara Jade. That's my one exception for the moment.

7. cooleddie74

The 6" Black Series Stormtrooper is going to be popular to say the least. One per case, and no carry forwards currently planned with any of these characters? The secondary market and eBay are gonna have a field day with that one.

8. OdoWanKenobi

Amazon Marketplace sellers already have the Sandtrooper at $45. I guess all I can do is keep checking back at Toys R Us and hope they get some refresher cases. Is it only TRU carrying these right now, or have there been reports at Wal-Marts and Targets yet?

9. cooleddie74

I can't speak for anybody else, but I myself haven't heard about any 6" Black Series reports coming from Walmart or Target. The 3.75" figures have been spotted at one or both of those chains, though.

10. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Wahoo! I scored all three as well today! Of course I live out in the middle of nowhere so I had order mine but that doesn't make it any less fun hunting them down. I had preordered them from Entertainment Earth but then found them cheaper on Amazon. Unfortunately, no Sandtrooper yet. I have a feeling I am going to have a VERY hard time finding him. I will have him though... just not for a freaking $45. I will make it happen for less. So excited though! The three will be here in a couple of days.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Generally, R2 is about waist high on people so the new figure does appear to be in scale.
    http://www.robotsnob.com/pictures/r2d2a.JPG

http://www.artoo-detoo.net/gallery/d/15212-2/5633937300_99703dcbac_b.jpg

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Build-Your-Own-R2-D2.jpg

12. cooleddie74

Something about his size is off. Height. Width. Something. Most folks I talk to over on the collecting sites think Hasbro screwed up in some manner or another with the new Artoo's scale compared to the humanoid characters. I suppose it's a matter of opinion and debate, but as fantastic as this R2-D2 looks and with all the great accessories and tools he comes with there's just something awry and off about his size and he doesn't look quite right next to the X-Wing Luke.

He should be a little taller or a little wider/fatter. Maybe a bit of both. I dunno, if I and OdoWan and others are wrong then fine, but it seems to be a strong and dominant opinion with collectors at the moment.

13. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I was also thinking he was a little on the small side, maybe by 10% or so. His body also seems to be a little short. Until I get my hands on the actual figure I won't be able to tell you exactly what is wrong but there is something wrong. (He still looks awesome though!)

14. cooleddie74

Yeah, he comes with all the bells and whistles and is one of the best R2-D2 toys that Hasbro or Kenner have ever made, but that isn't the correct size. It might not be off by all that much, but it doesn't look quite right.

If it were just a couple of random people saying so I might be inclined to dismiss their opinions as off-kilter perceptions because of the way the photos were taken, the angles, the lighting and so forth, but when you see the 6" Luke and Artoo side by side in OdoWan's photos and then you look at Mark Hamill and the Artoo shell/Kenny Baker costume side by side on the actual film sets there's an apparent scale difference.

15. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I checked the local Target the other day, no Black Series yet, of either scale.

Wow, that looks amazing. If I were only allowed to get one in the 6 inch line, it would be the Stormtrooper.

Awesome! :techman: Hmmm, and yeah, $20 is about I was expecting.

Really? :( I was so looking forward to picking one up from the store, but now... I've got a bad feeling about this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  16. cooleddie74

Hey, you never know. Just one per case or not your local stores might stock several cases at once and you'll find at least one of him. Timing is usually 99% of scoring characters like this but with any luck there'll be at least a few in your area and you'll have a shot at one of 'em.

The Slave Leia in Wave 2 will likely go just as fast. Carrie Fisher in a skimpy metal and fabric bikini doesn't seem to last long on store pegs no matter what size the figure.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Got the first of Mattel's new 60s Batman figures, a Batman and Robin 2 pack.

First things first. Right out of the box they have a terrible problem. Can you spot it?
    [​IMG]

What the hell, Mattel? That is just ridiculous. Well, one pair of scissor later:
    [​IMG]

They also have a climbing wall accessory:
    [​IMG]

It can be wall mounted, but I really wish there had been a base to set it upright on a shelf.

Overall I'm happy with them. The articulation is great, and they capture the look of the classic show very well. Mine are thankfully free from most of the atrocious paint problems I've heard plaguing others. You may want to wait until you find them in stores. It seems I got lucky.

18. cooleddie74

Tom Servo leaning out the Batman window to talk to the Dynamic Duo.

Glorious. :adore: :lol:

19. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I got two more Ezios (in assassin white) as well as Edward and Haytham with Connor on the way. They are all so awesome, looking just like the game characters.

20. OdoWanKenobi

Are these NECA's Assassin's Creed stuff? I'd love to see pics.