Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Exactly, I prefer the explanation that Ma Kent made the costume out of Clarks baby blankets, that way it still has a kryptonian origin but it's not something silly like a skintight, colorful body armour with a cape. A tight armor made with kryptonian technology is fine in theory, but why a cape? What's its purpose?
    Superman doesn't need an armor, so why the need to explain the costume as a armor (except to be able to show a bunch of Kryptonians in Superman suits)? The baby blankets with the seal of his kryptonian family are just as much a connection to Krypton and it actually makes sense for Lara and Jor-El to put them in the spaceship.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in many versions of the story, Jor-el and Lara actually intend for their son to go to Earth and become an inspiration to the people, and to use his powers for good.

So it's not much of a stretch to think they might have made his Kryptonian uniform look a little more colorful and dynamic for that reason. And it's not like capes originated with superheroes or anything. They can also be a sign of royalty, or something that people on Krypton just liked to wear.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

In that scenario, there's definitely no replacing a damaged or lost outfit.

I liked Smallville's early idea that he was sent to rule or conquer and that it was his upbringing with the Kents that made him a force for good. Too bad they backpedaled on that.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Again, I believe the New 52 doesn't have the cape as part of the Kryptonioan armor but is, infact a "baby blanket" from the spacecraft that Superman has somehow incorporated into his uniform. (Giving it the nano-properties of the suit so it can shrink/disappear as needed. Superman has sort of a Linus-ian attachment to it.) So while the cape isn't part of the battle armor it's still a Kryptonian material and just as "indestructible" as Superman's suit.

Also in the New 52 Supergirl was sent to Earth in suspended animation wearing ceremonial coming of age/graduation clothing (or something like that) that DID include a cape and is of a design that says a lot about gender roles on Krypton. ;)

I've never much liked the idea of Martha Kent making the suit out of the blankets/upholstery of the Kryptonian spacecraft simply because unless the spacecraft also came with Kryptonian sewing equipment she'd have a hard time cutting and sewing the cloth. ;)

I think I prefer the idea of it being some-sort-of Kryptonian garb that Superman simply dons as a suit. It's design simply resembles earth ideas on "superhero costumes." I mean, that makes as much sense as the family crest for the house of El happening to look like the letter "S" (for Superman. ;)) in the Latin alphabet. ;)

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus... no wonder I stopped reading Superman.

6. Trekker4747

I dunno, it makes more sense that the undergarment of alien material simply changes into a suit of armor and a cape than it does for Superman to stuff a suit and a cape inside of a business suit, not to mention boots inside of dress shoes.

7. Shazam!

It's a needless compromise aimed at satiating those too old to be reading Superman comics in the first place.

Grown ups ruin everything.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Are there superhero comic books in the superman universe? Is Superman one of those comics? That would be a weird coincidence too.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There are Captain America comic books in the MCU.

10. Trekker4747

Comic Books do exist in the DC universe, including comic books that based on superheroes that actually exist in the world. Which sort of folds the fourth-wall in on itself.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, Superman comics exist in the Watchmen universe.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, that's a bit strange.

Either way, since this is a discussion of the uniform in Man of Steel (provided they chose to go with the Kryptonian explanation), I guess the better question is the extent they exist in the movie universe.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Kryptonians have a very super-hero fashion sense.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I always liked to think that was a difference in perspective between humans and kryptonians. The Kryptonian symbol is the gold parts with the red being background. Human eyse pickout the red as the fore color and see the "S".

I also read an anecdote that John Byrne always drew it that way, seeing the fish shaped gold parts foremost.

15. Trekker4747

Hmmm. Could be, still it'd be a hell of a coincidence would it not? ;)

16. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

It wouldn't, the shape of an S is nothing special, it's just a curved line.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

18. Shazam!

Superman's pal (with benefits) Jenny Olsen

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with it. As long as Superman still looks like Superman, I don't care how much they change the race, sex, or hair color of the supporting characters.

They've always been pretty thinly defined in the comics and movies anyway.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously? did Comic Book News just change their name to distant themselves from allegations they steal other peoples articles(Superherohype.com)