New Digital animation for TAS- would you want it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Chrisisall, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

HA- got ya!
    But what IF?
    Where does it stop?

Well, I'll tell you. With the new FX for TOS, that's where.
    Why you ask? Well, I'm glad that you did.:)

TOS is the only series that HAD to re-use old effects that, BTW, had optical drop-out, over & over again.
    TAS had no such imperfections in the picture.
    And while TNG had poor resolution due to video post, finding & transferring the live action film digitally and THEN recreating digital FX to match it would be a HERCULEAN not to mention cost-prohibitive effort that could not possibly turn an immediate profit IMO.
    No my friends, it will end here, now. It goes this far, no further!!
    (Sorry, my inner Picard slipped out :lol:)

So, while Lucas is STILL at work adding a digital Yoda to the Blu-Ray release of Phantom Menace, we Trek fans need neither anticipate nor fear further "enhancements":techman: or "tampering":scream: on the horizon, IMO.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Paramount announces new Digital animation for TAS!!!

If the animation were totally re-done, I could go for that as an option. but someone else here (in a TAS) thread argued in favor of the original animation, mainly for the backdrops and citiscapes having their own look that is cool. They remind me of the first Tolkein paperback covers I knew, or those 7-Up bottles you would melt crayons down the side of, in 1970 for . . . what purpose . . . I can't really remember . . . .

Gonna go put on some Moody Blues . . .

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

Who'd want to watch cartoon that looks modern but sounds retro? It only works the other way around, and even then it's just for parodies like Sealab 2021.

Modern animation wouldn't mesh with '70s music, '70s voice acting practices, or '70s writing. I'd rather they did a new cartoon from scratch.

4. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Filmation's character animation might not be the best there is, but their backgrounds are always A double plus. Don't touch em!

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where does it stop indeed. Bogus thread titles usually stop late in the day each April 1st. Any time other than that, and it borders on the ignorant. :confused:

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

thread retitle

This is why we have moderators. Requesting a change of thread title.
    If there is no official announcement from CBS Television (not Paramount by the way) and it is not April 1 it is not a joke. Please change the thread title for those that are serious fans.

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I await the technology that will convert TAS episodes into actual "live action" style TOS episodes. :cool:

8. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

You had me going there! Not funny! :(

9. Chrisisall

Re: thread retitle

Hey- I just tried to change the title (I didn't realize it would irk some), and I can't! What's up? I can change titles on other boards....:shrug:

10. Chrisisall

We have it, but it's 'spensive.:rommie:

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I changed it for you. Took me a few minutes to find the function, LOL.

12. Chrisisall

Thanks!:techman:

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

TAS had much, much funnier imperfections. Like the time they accidentally gave Scotty a mustache.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Might make for a interesting remake, new actors doing lip sink, but the dialog of the original actors (Shatner, Nimoy).

Like at the beginning of the movie "Space Cowboys," younger actors but with the voices of Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones.

15. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you gave TAS better-looking animation, it would absolutely lose its charm.

The funny thing is that when I was a kid I thought that it was far, far superior to TOS. Because of all of the cool aliens, no doubt.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

audio

Wow. You are right. I totally agree with this.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I just liked it better because it was a cartoon. And cartoon versions of live action shows was pretty common whe I was a kid. There were animated versions of Mork, Gilligan's Island, the original 60s or 70s Ghostbusters, Trek, Flash Gordon... to say nothing of animated versions of popular personalities like Gary Coleman.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The 1975-6 The Ghost Busters was a live-action series from Filmation Associates, the company that produced the animated Star Trek, Gilligan, Flash Gordon, and other adaptations but also did live-action shows like Shazam, Isis, Ark II, Space Academy, and Jason of Star Command. Columbia Pictures paid Filmation a license fee to use the name Ghostbusters for their 1984 film, and when the film was successful, Filmation capitalized on it by producing an animated sequel to their own The Ghost Busters, this time calling it Filmation's Ghostbusters. (That's why the DIC animated series based on the movie was called The Real Ghostbusters -- to distinguish itself from the competing project.)

19. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As far as losing its charm, I must agree because I've taken that aestetic-integrity argument against the Star Trek Remastered CGI effects. Although . . . the effects interrupt the live action '60s feel; all-new TAS animation wouldn't be interrupting anything . . .

As to TAS superior to the live action, i can think of several facets of it I'd agree with ya there. Be well.

20. Chrisisall

I was thinking about this- what if they took Fantastic Voyage & updated the FX with new CGI? It would be a totally different movie! That's mainly because the live action included practical effects on a HUGE scale, and altering the FX means altering MOST of the live action once the shrinking is engaged. Now THAT REALLY WOULD lose the 60's feel!
    Plus, it had a rather large budget, so the only really questionable FX are, IMO, the opticals showing live actors looking out the Proteus' windows because of drop out. Basically, it's entirely watchable without alteration necessary (to me).

In TOS, it's almost all just the space shots that were redone. Opticals. Mattes. The live action is nearly untouched.

I lose no "60's" feel with TOS-Rw/NFX.:techman: