It's kind of odd that NOT ONE recurring player was promoted to regular

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by t_smitts, Mar 27, 2014.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always liked seeing long-running recurring actors get promoted to main cast billing (David Berman and Jon Wellner on "CSI", Bill Brochtrup on "NYPD Blue", Jim O'Heir and Retta on "Park & Rec", etc.) so, while I know nine actors is a rather large case, in retrospect I'm surprised that NOT ONE of the show's dozen or so recurring actors were promoted to regulars, even when a vacancy opened up at the end of season 6. Aron Eisenberg or Andrew Robinson would've been the most likely candidates, in my opinion, but really I would've been happy to see any of them get their names in the opening credits.

What do you think?

2. Drusilla

Drusilla Ensign Red Shirt

Re: It's kind of odd that NOT ONE recurring player was promoted to reg

I agree. Nog and Garak did far more for the show than Jake Sisko (whom I didn't mind at all - it's just that Jake was a fairly minor character).

They should have axed Jake as a regular by the time Nog was assigned to DS9. I think they should've axed Dax as a regular in S7.

I would have liked to see Damar/Weyoun as regulars as well, only because they're my two favourite Trek characters, EVER.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You could argue that one of the leads was a recurring character who was promoted. After all O'Brien was a recurring character on TNG who was promoted to regular on DSN.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The only Star Trek series to add a recurrin' character to the openin' credits was the original series, when they added DeForrest Kelley. Rumor is if it had gotten a fourth season, James Doohan would be added, as well.

TNG subtracted from their credits, and Diane Muldaur was only a "special guest star" for the entirety of the second season.

VOY didn't have enough recurrin' characters to justify a promotion to openin' credits.

And again, rumors, but had ENT gotten a fifth season, Jeffrey Combs would have been added...though how he would have fit in the command structure of the NX-01 is anyone's guess.

Point is, I'm not surprised that recurrin' characters weren't added. The franchise doesn't have that kind of history, and a name in the openin' credits means a paycheck, whether ya are in the episode or not, which is why some main characters only get a scene or line of dialogue in episodes (see Odo & Quark in the second Mirror Universe episode).

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Does Worf count? He appeared on DS9 on TNG before being a main cast member.

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

A significant part of why Avery Brooks agreed to do the show was the father-son relationship. So if they'd dropped or demoted Cirroc from the cast, Avery likely would have left too. No joke. Those two are as close in real life as on screen. Avery's son is also Cirroc's best friend.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

it's all about $$$$ and budgeting.

8. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Out of all the recurring characters, the only one I could see being promoted to regular is Nog. He was a Starfleet officer assigned to DS9. He may not have been a senior officer, but he appeared often enough (I think he may have had the most appearances of all the recurring cast) and even served as Defiant helm officer in the last season.

The others served a specific purpose and didn't require an appearance every week. This includes Garak. While he was a great character, having sporadic appearances meant that they could save him for the bigger episodes and not have him needlessly appear every week just because he's contractually obligated to.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only recurring player in STAR TREK who's ever been really jerked around was Diane Muhldar (sp.) who played Dr. Kate Pulaski. Especially someone like that who played such a pivotal role in a couple of the best episodes of TOS. Kirk just LOVED kissing up on Pulaski, when her rose was in bloom, that's for sure ...

10. t_smitts

Actually that one's legit. Mike Sussman and Manny Coto have confirmed it. Interestingly, Jeffrey Combs didn't learn this until after the show was cancelled.

If they could find some vague position for Worf (what exactly does a "Strategic Operations Officer" do, anyway?), it couldn't be any harder to find one for Shran.

But not on the same show.

No, because he was never a recurring character on either show.

11. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that whole "Muldaur/McFadden/Maurice Hurley thing was pretty crappy...my dislike for Pulaski as a character did not prevent me from empathizing with the screw job Muldaur got...

:klingon:

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Worf's transfer to DS9 counted as a promotion, though, when he went from tactical to strategic operations, which was a command-level position, thus the red uniform.

Shran was already a starship captain. Any position he took on the NX-01 would make him subordinate to both Archer and T'Pol.

Which is why I can't imagine where he'd be as a regular on the series...'cause I just don't see Shran takin' orders from T'Pol.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I am surprised that there isn't much explanation to how Shran would have fit on Enterprise. Proud and experienced, he could not be Archer's inferior. Indeed, there probably was little thought given to how Shran would fit it, so maybe it might never have happened.

That said, Garak is the model for Shran as a permanent role. Shran could not be a SF member or even an Enterprise crewmember. Instead, he could be a strategic or technical attache. Or he could have commanded a group of Andorian marines who replace the MACOS on the ship. Either way, Shran should be a rival to Archer, not an inferior.

14. t_smitts

I suppose you could argue that Worf's assignment was a promotion, of sorts (if not in actual rank), since he apparently took on greater responsibilities (though we still don't know what they were), and became the de facto first officer of the Defiant ("Paradise Lost" / First Contact), until he wasn't ("Tears of the Prophets").

As for Shran, yes that would've definitely amounted to a demotion, but premise isn't totally out of left field. It was hinted at at the end of "The Aenar", and his superiors may have felt his close association with humans was compromising his judgment.

And yes, I think there's dramatic potential in this new arrangement and seeing Shran cope with it. His relationship with Archer would clearly have to change (he probably wouldn't be able to keep calling him "pink-skin", which, frankly, I thought was getting old anyway). You certainly wouldn't be able to have him be a "rival" to Archer (you can't have someone challenging the captain's authority week after week).

So, yes there'd be some technicalities to work out, but I think it would've worked out quite well.

15. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, though I would like to see Trek break out of x number of characters sitting on the bridge in pre-defined positions, staring at a TV. I believe that Garak did some button pushing in Sacrifice of Angels, but mostly he was there as an expert rather than someone doing a job. It expands on DS9's vision of collaboration between societies. More of that feeling could be maintained if Shran were out of uniform (like Garak) or in an alternative uniform (like Kira or T-Pol, season 1-2).

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I would guess that the recurrings had some kind of ongoing contract like the main casts, but were not required to appear in every episode and probably earned a little less.

Shran would most likely have been assigned as a liason on board of the new alliance's flag ship.
    His goverment would have demanded the same presence there as the Vulcans.
    Which Shran himself would have regarded as a punishment because it meant losing his own command and only accepted because he respected Archer so much.
    Could have meant some interesting stories with him competing with T'Pol more than him competing with Archer.

17. t_smitts

Shran could offer an outsiders' perspective (though, to be honest, we already had T'Pol and Phlox doing that), but it's hard to imagine a career military guy like him questioning order. Garak wasn't military and even he wasn't being insubordinate when they brought him on missions.

Actually, if I could see Shran having tension with anyone, it might be Reed, as they might have some disagreements on tactical matters, though I wouldn't just want a rehash of when he was butting heads with Hayes.

Maybe to some extent, but I don't think we can have him "competing" with T'Pol on a regular basis.

18. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Recurring actors don't have long-term contracts. Deals are made episode-to-episode. An agent would make a deal like "we'll do 4 episodes and the actor is available these two months." This helps the actor if they want to work on other projects at the same time, and this can make it cheaper overall for the production company to get someone for example like Louise Fletcher; because you don't have to pay for a 26-epsiode contract even if her per-episode rate is higher than a lot of the cast.

19. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

These days, recurring characters get bumped up to regular a lot, but (Correct me if I'm wrong) I don't remember that being the case nearly as much in the 90's. 24, The West Wing, Person of Interest, Community, House just off the top of my head.

20. t_smitts

Plenty on both "ER" (Laura Innes, Paul McCrane, Ming-Na, etc.) and "NYPD Blue" (Sharon Lawrence, Gordon Clapp, Gail O'Grady, Bill Brochtrup, etc). Jeff Conaway on B5. Kelsey Grammer on "Cheers", Andrea Barber on "Full House", Richard Karn and Debbe Dunning on "Home Improvement", Tony Schaloub on "Wings", David Boreanaz, Seth Green, Emma Caulfield, and James Marsters on "Buffy"...