NuTrek's Starfleet

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Crazy Eddie, Nov 20, 2013.

1. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, based on this "deleted"/cut scene from "Into Darkness"...April's ENterprise (at least at one time) looked VERY MUCH like Kirk's in TOS (pre-refit) in the Prime Timeline (with only a few minor changes - like 2, instead of 3 little circle windows/deflector on the front of the saucer. And the window arrangement around the saucer-edges. It my have been wee *bit* BIGGER too. Plus there is the NCC # beginning in "0"...):

[​IMG]

^But none of the DVD releases - even the expensive boxed sets - have any deleted/cut scenes....so that they can try to make the fans double and triple-dip...

(But, after these were leaked, Paramount took them all down...of course....)

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's sad that they didn't keep it in. I like all the little historical details of Starfleet that ended up in Marcus' office.

The prequel comic "Countdown to Darkness" featured a couple of shots of the precursor Enterprise. Not a lot to go on, but gives some decent information to work from, I think:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701's_predecessor)_(alternate_reality)

3. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Letting everyone know I'm not dead yet! A combination of things has drawn my attention away from TrekBBS, not least of which is a sudden increase in my work hours in addition to me having obtained an internet connection powerful enough to actually play Star Trek Online without an insufferable degree of lag.:techman:

But the Illustrated Guide to Starfleet lives on! First rough draft is available and I'm going back and making some revisions to the project, which means I'm back to looking for some feedback and/or suggestions and requests.

Expect more updates coming in the next two or three weeks.

I've got some Vengeance data from what little is actually known about the ship, and I'm combing through some of the NuTrek novels for little tidbits that might be useful. I'm also working from the assumption that some of the more militaristic designs from TOS fanon (the Akyazi class perimeter action ships, for example) would have appeared in this timeline as Section 31 vessels and would be otherwise unknown to anyone outside of that organization. Whether to include them or not in the guide is a different question, though.

My opinion is and has always been that "transwarp" is a physical concept in the Trekiverse with a very specific scientific meaning and should not be interpreted to mean "warp drive, only faster." By analogy, it is similar to the concept of "transonic airflow," which is why I expanded the definition to be shorthand to "trans-dimensional vortex warp drive."

By extension, the warp drives we're familiar with in the 24th century would function by generating those vortexes artificially in a very limited region around the ship; they would not rely on pre-existing vortexes (artificial or otherwise) and would be able to take advantage of trans-dimensional effects anywhere they wanted. Slipstream drive would probably work the same way, except the warp field would extend tens of lightyears ahead of the ship while in flight (and is also inherently unstable, which makes it much harder to use).

Voyager would have a much shorter series if the ship had been as fast as the Enterprise-D was in "Q Who?" in which Data calculates the ship would be able to travel over seven thousand light years in about 31 months. Or, for that matter, if Voyager was as fast as the TOS Enterprise, which managed to cover the 1000 LY sprint back to the Kalandan Outpost in under a day.

This being an alternate timeline, I see no real reason to take Voyager into account AT ALL. But if I absolutely had to (if, say, Rick Berman was holding a gun to my head or if I was trying to talk Kate Mulgrew out of jumping off a bridge) I would simply suggest that the lack of accurate navigational charts for the delta quadrant meant Voyager could not take full advantage of the natural trans-warp vortexes and was limited to more conventional FTL speeds.

Appreciated! As I said, I could use more feedback to see what does or doesn't make the most sense, just so I can see if I can make what we've seen self-consistent at least as far as the Abramsverse. I am far less interested in making the Abrams timeline consistent with the TNG spinoffs; I'm thinking in the context of TOS, ST:Enterprise and the first six movies.

I had this cap in mind when I started writing the Bonaventure pages. I am still trying to decide which imagery to use: I thought Gabe Korner's Enterprise would fit pretty nicely into a TOS-based continuity, but I'm starting to really like Madman's "Prime Alternative."

FWIW, the "powerwall" graphics were also present in Admiral Pike's office. To a certain extent, that makes them canon.

4. fireproof78

Well, real life has the effect of drawing people away. I too am just getting back here to revisit this project. I will give it a detailed read through and comment within a week or two.

Looking forward to the updates!

5. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can you repost the pictures that may have been posted in the first page of this thread? It appears they're all gone now.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There seems to not be a page for the Armstrong-class "flagships". Any reason for that? Is it the only ship not accounted for, or are there other ships not yet implemented? The NX-class/Columbia-class? The mentioned Saladin-class and Daedulas-class ships?

Also there are two USS Voyagers with different hull numbers in the Bonaventure-class, yet both appear to be "in service".

7. Crazy Eddie

Just noticed that yesterday. Imageshack wants a paid subscription now.:rolleyes:

For now, the PDF is on deviantart. I'm planning to re-upload when I get time to make some serious edits.

8. fireproof78

Downloaded and will review in detail. Just curious if you want/need/desire uniform information? I don't believe there are any in the guide currently. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I will be happy to track down any screenshots that would be helpful to your project :)

9. Crazy Eddie

Uniforms are pretty straightforward, and I've been working on some pages to that effect. What I'm really in the market for right now is backstage material and/or concept art that shows different Starfleet elements in isolation or in detail. Any help is appreciated right now.

10. fireproof78

Well, there are several uniform variants out there, I wasn't sure if it would be included or not.

Also, are there particular components you are looking for?

11. Crazy Eddie

There's the Starfleet dress uniforms seem on Earth, with the academy and officer versions being basically the same but colored differently (and the latter having a cover). The wetsuits are another, and the fatigue uniforms worn aboard ship have plenty of good material. What I cannot seem to find are good images of the skinsuits worn during the Space Jump scene in the first movie or the wingsuits used by Kirk and Spock in the videogame (which also shows up a number of times in the IDW comics).

Would love to get more info on field jackets too, any extra features the costume designers might have had in mind.

12. fireproof78

Ok, I will see what I can find. Here is some quick stuff and I will do more research as time allows.

Skydive suit (concept art):

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/orbital1.jpg
    http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/orbital2.jpg

Skydive harness more illustrated:
    http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/orbital3.jpg

Wing suit from video game (concept art):
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d_4suZMZ1...+The+Video+Game+concept+art+Kirk+wingsuit.jpg

I will see what else I can find.

13. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm really bummed about Imageshack now requiring a paid subscription. It was my all-time favorite photo hosting site. Now, I go to http://www.postimage.org.

14. fireproof78

Still working on more research, but I found some good pictures of internal images. I am currently still working on uniform research, which has proven more difficult to find. :klingon:

Enterprise torpedo launcher concept:
    http://static.squarespace.com/stati...fe4b0babc9253268d/1317885463883/?format=1000w

New Enterprise concept (with original coloration)

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...fe4b0babc92532688/1317884405083/?format=1500w

More skydive uniform concept art:
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/LaughingMagpie/Trek/STCostumes_p1_zannidLJ.jpg

Will have to work more on the uniforms.

15. fireproof78

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apologies if I already posted these in this thread, but here is the Concept Art and Set Photos thread, with everything from Vengeance bridge concepts to art for Khan's portable transwarp beaming device. Unfortunately it's quite a slog to find everything.
    Also the dreaded Starship Size Argumentâ„¢ thread, which has the exact dimensions of the USS Vengeance.... somewhere in there. As well as a graphic showing a whole bunch of extending torpedo rails which were never used in the movie. And wireframes of the Enterprise's shuttlebay near the end.

Oh, and here is some fan art I made, using the lobby/plaza set to establish saucer deck heights.

17. gerbil

gerbil Captain Captain

I quite like that cutaway you made. I'd love to work on a more high-res version of it at some point if you wouldn't mind.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course! :) Just credit me somewhere, "based on Enterprise cutaway by KingDaniel" or something along those lines.

I should also point out that the warp core section is from the 2012 NIF user guide PDF. I'm pretty sure the laser bays were the Vengeance engineering corridors, and that the diagnostics building is where the non-CG bit of the Enterprise shuttlebay was shot.

19. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm a bit more interested in early 22nd century weapon designs... how is a high output alpha spectrometer supposed to work as a weapon. By heat induction? Baking cats?

20. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Has there been an update of this? It was an interesting read so far.