How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson, May 3, 2009.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

All the more reason to avoid forcing it down people's throats by making a TV series in addition to the films. Too much of something tends to lead to fatigue and apathy. Star Trek's brand is enough to attract interest, but unless it's done well, it's not enough to sustain interest over a protracted period of time. That's why Enterprise failed: the writing and character development weren't enough to carry the series after the novelty wore off.

--Sran

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    CE Evans, please stop that. This is the third time I say that I know that. My puzzlement IS NOT at why people don't like the new movies. It's at why they want to go back to the old timeline rather than just ask for better movies in the new one.

3. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

So it would be a show about a ship captained by a ghost? Or a Zombie??

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Have you considered the possibility that people are so put off by the more recent films that they would prefer to avoid the new timeline altogether? It's not as though there's no room for further exploration of the primary timeline, a universe with which fans are much more familiar with and accepting of.

--Sran

5. Belz...

Yes. And I don't understand it. Can you consider the possibility that I might not understand some people's opinions or reactions ?

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Absolutely. What I don't understand is why you insist on continuing to argue with them. It's not always possible to see another person's point of view. If you don't understand or agree with their opinion, simply acknowledge it and move on.

--Sran

7. Belz...

Well, first I like arguing, and second I like understanding stuff, so I ask.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

I can certainly relate to both of these issues, Belz. That said, it's probably best if you don't question people too frequently, even if your only aim is to understand them better. People can become defensive when pressed about an issue with which they're uncomfortable.

--Sran

9. Belz...

Yeah but that's when it gets fun ! (kidding)

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

What makes you think critics of JJ Trek didn't give it a 'fair chance'?

I was initially excited about the idea of a reboot when Trek 09 was still filming, although I didn't particularly like the casting choices. I think anyone who liked TOS was jazzed about revisiting that era. I was thinking maybe it would be the way Enterprise should have been. Retro 60s, but with a higher budget look. That would have been really bold. I just didn't like how JJ realized that world. I don't like how it looks, how it functions, or what kind of message he has to deliver.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

No, I'm not going to "stop it" because it's the simplest, straightforward, and most honest answer I can give. It really is as simple a case that not everyone likes the same thing. Some people just prefer the original timeline over the new movies, while some people prefer the new movies over the original timeline. Some like both. It's just how people are.

12. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In the old timeline the Ent is an explorer wessel, in the new timeline the Ent is a war wessel.

13. Belz...

And yet it has absolutely no bearing on what I said, which is that I don't understand why they want to go back to the old timeline. "Not liking this movie" is an irrelevant answer.

I'm not talking about the last two movies, but the clean slate of the new timeline per se.

I like chocolate. There, my post has as much relation to yours as yours had to mine.

How is the Enterprise a warship ?

14. C.E. Evans

No, it's the only answer. Why is so incredibly difficult for you to understand that there are still people who prefer the original timeline over the new one? You say you understand that not everyone likes the same thing, then what else is there to be said?

15. Captain Clark Terrell

I agree with this, adding that there's not always rhyme or reason to what different people like. I enjoy drinking Mountain Dew because I like the taste. I don't know why. I don't waste time thinking about it. It is what it is.

--Sran

16. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Bad Robot Trek has only fractured the old guard Trekkers.

The new Trekkers like Bad Robot Trek and/or Prime Trek.

Every time #I# complained about TNG, V and ENT I was told to shutup and better Trek would come out.

Nemesis failed. There is no going back to Prime Trek.

Abrams Trek: 2245 on the Kelvinprise.

Robert April, Sarah Beagle, a young Christopher Pike and Number One.

Yes! :techman:

17. Captain Clark Terrell

No!

--Sran

18. Belz...

You're still not getting it. Even if I prefered the original timeline to this one, which I actually do, I still think it's silly to want to go back again.

I can understand that someone thinks X without understanding why.

19. C.E. Evans

No, you're still not getting it.
    That's your opinion. Other people don't feel the same way.
    Then what's the problem?

20. Belz...

Just that I don't get how some people think. I'm sure there's tons of things you don't get about other people. I don't know why you don't understand that.

Anyway, it seems we're talking past each other, and we're a bit off-topic, aren't we ? I say we drop the matter and live to ...er... post another day.