Merlin Series 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Bob The Skutter, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

if Excalibur can remove the undead from play, then it can most probably do some serious damage to the dead too. Not that merlin by himself seemed at all useful when the Vale was open, those frakks turned him into a popsicle.

He was able to Spell Uthur out a window, it's likely he could have spelled several parts of him out of many different windows... Not that Uthur couldn't respawn.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hang on a minute.

Is Merlin actually worth watching this season? :confused:

I watched a couple of episodes of its first season and quickly gave up on it being able to rise about a (admittedly, somewhat higher budget) kids show. Is it actually good now? Worth catching a VOD?

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

This season they have upped the game considerably. It's still bromance but they've basically got rid of the pantomime elements and started writing rather cracking stories. This is supposed to be the last season, from their original game plan. I think they're going for it despite the Beeb saying don't be silly this will run and run. It rather reaffirms your belief in British television writing.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's cool; I could do with a new fun show to watch. Thanks for hte update.

I'll try to catch the eps so far on iPlayer when I get a chance. :cool:

5. Guy Gardener

Arthur is the once and future king.

They can finish up this story.

Then Merlin and Arthur can save the 21st century from some dread new evil or just completely plagiarise the Camelot 3000 comic books....

Arthur comes back in 1897 to fend off HG Wells war of the Worlds.

Yeah.

Each season could be set in a different era.

Arthur returns from a big sleep in Avalon and Merlin is immortal.

6. Deckerd

Have you been on the cooking brandy again Guy?

7. Guy Gardener

Season three and four were worth watching.

Not too sure about this year.

But if you built up the momentum, it's rough to put on the breaks.

I saw a sitcom yesterday where an idiot says to a smart guy "I don't know if you know this, but you know how you keep saying jumping the shark? Well, there was an episode of happy days where Fonzie ACTUALLY JUMPED A SHARK and it was excellent."

Seriously.

I saw this yesterday and I have no idea what it was from.

My memory is all Swiss cheese.

(Oh.

it was Troy to Abed in Commmunity

:) .)

Arthur comes back plenty.

[​IMG]

The hilarious bit is that Lancelot is reincarnated as a girl and still goes after Guinevere sans penis. He's really angry about being being a woman in the future. Really really angry.

Then there's also Iron Man comics, Hellblazer comics and "almost" in Babylon 5 the actual tv show... There just comes a point where you have to admit that Michael York is a Ham who STILL needs thrity years bed rest from failing to keep up with Oliver Reed.

Oh.

Arthur came back in Charmed too.

Piper kept Excalibur in her closet burried in an anvil for the last 2 seasons.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  8. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Given how much more awesome Anthony Head is than the actual protagonists, I think they should just drop the whole Merlin and Arthur thing and make a prequel series about Uther just murdering the fuck out of everyone.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you wanna see awesome Anthony Head, you need to check out Repo! The Genetic Opera (if you don't mind quite a bit of gore).

10. Guy Gardener

We all want to get as much Head as possible.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be nice to know more about Uther's rich past.

12. Deckerd

Bob and I were talking about this elsewhere. It was good to see Uther stripped of the personal charm that let him get away with his despotism when he was alive. Bob pointed out that Head really is a pretty good actor, since he made this transition seamlessly.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, I still think it would have been interesting to see what Camelot was like before Uther/when Uther came to the throne etc, but I think that time has passed now.

14. Guy Gardener

You say it's past time for a time travel episode, but I say its PAST TIME for a time travel episode.

This all started because of personal loss. Magic was marvellous, until Uthur made a deal without reading the contract and suddenly his wife is dead. Then he spends 20 years building pyres to get over the fact he fucked up.

He transitioned his guilt into a heady body count upward towards 6 digits.

A time travel episode would give Arthur and Merlin a choice, keep everything as it always has been preserving the timeline, or sacrifice Arthur to side step all that ethnic cleansing by getting inbetween Uthur and Nimueh.

What would have been the negative consequences if Ygraine lived?

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Almost. It's Tristan (of Tristan & Isolde fame) who reincarnates as a woman in Camelot 3000. And he's very not happy about it.

16. Guy Gardener

Someone stole my copy 20 years ago, but my actual rooted memories of reading Camelot 3000 are from much earlier, when I was about ten.

I say stole.

But is it really stealing when a friend borrows something and never gives it back?

Yes.

Yes it is.