Space Quest creators are making a new game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pcj, May 12, 2012.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Decaffeinated Jedi

Decaffeinated Jedi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those who said it couldn't be done, check it out. Closing in on 400k with four days left.

Never give up. Never surrender.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, I think the new game should either be the next chapter in the Space Quest saga (ignoring 6. ;) or a reboot. The new adventures of Roger Wilco: Space Janitor!

God, I fucking loved those games growing up. I've got a CD of them around here somewhere I need to install now. I just wish it had the original EGA version of SQ1 with the text interface on it rather than the SVGA "remake" with the icon interface. (For all of the Sierra Adventure games I wasn't too happy with the point-and-click interface.)

Second to SQ5 I might go with SQ4 which was a great time-travel story that even let you travel back in time to the EGA version of the first game. Damn... where's that CD?

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Two guys don't own the rights to space quest, so this will be a spiritual successor with the same tone/ humor/ aspects.

But this is also the beginning of a brand new company by the two guys, and if they succeed, they will eventually most likely acquire the rights to space quest one day. So I think this kickstarter is really your only hope of ever getting a new Space Quest by the original creators.. one day.

Also, pretty sure the EGA version of SQ1 is on gog.com under the space quest collection. Which by the way you get a FREE credit to download along with many other rewards at the $50 pledge level.

6. stonester1

Closing in on 415k...

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Excellent news. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it. :)

For my money, SQ III was the best game in the series, even if it was a little short compared to some of the others.

8. Trekker4747

Checking out, "gog.com" nifty. I'm tight right now on money but I may have to get that. I like the artwork with Roger sitting in the pilot's seat of the Aluminum Mallard from SQ3.

9. stonester1

Just letting you fellas know, now closing in on 440k. Will almost certainly be at 450k before sunset stateside Sunday.

Not there yet, but y'all, a mighty thing is happening here...

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll probably throw in some cash, just need to decide on a tier. Might be a close one on getting funding, hopefully the game sites will mention it again and give it a bump.

11. stonester1

I recommend the 100 buck level. You get a physical copy of the game in one of the old school Sierra style boxes along with some other schwag.

12. Yoda

$100 is a lot to pay for a game though :)

And I question whether I actually want a big Sierra-style box. They're cool and all, but they take up space... and over time it'll get damaged, and I'll lose some of the stuff that came with it, and really it's a little depressing.

*glowers at the tear in his Star Trek Judgment Rites Collector's Edition box*

13. Trekker4747

Well, as of now it's passed 450,000 the goal amount has now raised to $500K so another near $50K has to be raised in two days.

14. stonester1

For a great small press game whose costs are going to actually standing up a company that will produce MORE of this?

IMO, 100 bucks is a good deal. IMO.

Good art is worth paying for. :D

15. Yoda

Went in for $15, looks like it hit the $500k :techman:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  16. stonester1

And it has, on it's way to 520k now...

This game WILL happen, done deal.

:D

17. Kelthaz