Netflix Presents: Orange is the New Black

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by tighr, Jul 12, 2013.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think I saw a thread over in the Voyager forum, but this probably more accurately belongs here. Orange is the New Black is the new show from Netflix, about an affluent woman who is convicted of a crime she committed ten years ago, and her struggles adapting to prison life. It stars Taylor Schilling, Jason Biggs, Laura Prepon, and Kate Mulgrew as an older inmate.

I watched the first episode last night, and thought it was hilarious. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of this season, and from the reviews it looks like Netflix has another winner on their hands.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope it's as good as Weeds season 1.

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Saw episode one a short while ago, liked it a lot. I think it's more in the vein of lighthearted drama than comedy per se. Liked Janeway (didn't recognise her at the time, because I'm rubbish at that) and am pleased that her character is a bit of a player.

Also, shower in the first minute. Nice of them to not dance around the issue. :devil:

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Episode 4 was very well written and I'm starting episode 5 tonight. I like the show. It really gives you a sense of how hard and unpleasant prison life is. And over time, you even start to feel for the characters, something that might not hit you right away when you're introduced to them. Then there's the Lost-style flashbacks. I like how they show us that these hardened women weren't necessarily like that before going to prison. And what's especially interesting is that those flashbacks either haven't shown us what they did to get locked away or they just give us glimpses into their criminal activity.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  5. Agent Richard07

The show is also like a mini American Pie reunion with Jason Biggs and Natasha Lyonne in the cast.

6. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like a female version of Oz (except for Shirley Bellinger). I just heard about it on FB and I want to watch it.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between this and stuff like NTSF:SD:SUV I'm really digging the Mulgrew renaissance in out there roles. As over-the-top her role is she really seems to be putting an effort into it.

8. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have seen upto episode 3 and its really well made light drama and comedy. I think it would be better as a 30 minute show and condense the drama side. Mulgrew is topdog and top notch!.

9. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I am liking this show and didn't expect to. At first I was put off by the show's tone, then I realized it is a comedy/drama and got into the rhythm. Kate Mulgrew is great and I was one of her biggest critics at least with respect to her performance of Janeway.

Only on episode 3 and liking the show a lot.

10. tighr

Just finished the season last night, and was very impressed with the show as a whole.

The way the season ends, it begs for a season 2, so hopefully this is a success and Netflix will greenlight a second season!

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It greenlit a second season 3-4 weeks ago.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched the first two episodes and so far I'm really liking it. The cast is taking some time to get used to, but I was really happy to see Mulgrew play a major role more in the second episode than the first. I'm assuming each episode is going to feature a prisoner and how they got into the Jail, since we've dealt with Piper and Red so far. Not sure if I'm going to binge watch this, but after two episodes, I'll stick around and finish the season.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We're doing screencaps in the HiJs thread on the VOY forum.

Loving the show, good stuff!

Kate Mulgrew played the lead Taylor Schilling's mother in the (one season, cancelled) show Mercy. That was a comic role for KM, and now it's great to see her in this comedy drama.

14. Agent Richard07

I finished episode 11 last night. At first, prison looked like a horrific experience but I've gotten used to it and settled in a bit just like the lead. I like how the show can take the viewer on a journey like that.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Only seen the first 2 eps, but really like it so far. And while I don't mind exploring the other characters, I really hope it doesn't stray TOO far from the central character, because it's her cluelessness and unfamiliarity with this world that I identify with the most.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Watched two episodes so far. Not the worst thing I've ever seen.

17. tighr

It doesn't. Every episode is about her and her interactions with the "character of the week".

18. Katie O'Clare

Katie O'Clare Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've watched the first 2 episodes as well and it had me laughing out loud many times. I like how they tell each characters story in flashbacks, like throwing bits and pieces of information into the storyline, just as much as the viewer needs to know for the moment.
    And Kate is really impressive as Red. I'm looking forward to seeing her more although it will take some time getting used to seeing her with that red hair....so un-captain-janeway-like...lol
    I also like Taylor Schilling. I've liked her in Mercy as well. Kate cracked me up in Mercy. Just hillarious!!!

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's interesting. I've been hearing the whole laughing out loud thing in regards to this series, yet I haven't been. Maybe what I think is funny is different (And hey, it happened during the first season of Girls too, and now I think that show is shit) but I thought this was a drama, with a little comedy overtones thrown in.

For example, in the first episode we met Lorna, who I thought was awesome. The way she talked, the way she pretty much owned the place and Piper's reactions to her were spot on. 4 episodes in, she hasn't been in it that much and actually the last episode I watched, the best scenes were the quiet introspective scenes, like Nicky and Alex (Who stole the episode IMO) in the library.

I also am getting used to the format of seeing various prisoners backstories and how they relate to the present. People have compared this to Lost, yet I haven't seen lost so this is pretty much original to me. Good series so far, 4 episodes in.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You haven't seen lost?

Do you like have a job, children or a life?

I finished episode 13 a couple hours ago.

I think Kevin Nealon is going to be the Warden. :)

Isn't the title a little jarring if only the fish from county wear orange?

OITNB is pale compared to weeds, but Taylor impressed me enough almost to go back and give Mercy another try... Which I still feel repulsed by 5 years later.