Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by 22 Stars, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

lol what a piece of shit game. is anyone really surprised?

2. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Anyone have a good strategy in that Enterprise space level? Trying to get the achievement, but I can't seem to keep the hull above 85%. Got 31 out of the 49 or so achievements, trying to get as many as I can.

3. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I got the game. And I was right, I am loving it.

I don't know why people are expecting story-driven Trek here. It's a nuTrek game. Of course it was going to be all action. You just had to watch all the trailers to see that you were going to be getting Gear of War Trek-style.

Still don't like the radical Gorn change, though.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you been using shields?

I ask becuase I didn't even notice that until the last part of the level.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:techman:

I don't really know if I like it or not, but I can definitely live with it.

6. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

Yeah, I was using shileds, still can't keep the hull above 80%. Doing a play through on hard difficulty at the moment, might go back on easy or medium and try and snag the achievement that way. The Space Battle mission is probably one of my least favorite levels, just because it doesn't feel very intuitive. It wants to play like an on the rails shooter, but the HUD is pretty weak, and hard to figure out what targets you are supposed to be attacking. Although there are some nice visuals of the Enterprise launching a barrage of weapon fire after the tactical command.

Another strange moment is that mind meld scene in the shuttle bay, not sure why it needs those interactive bits that really serve no purpose, that whole segment could have just played out as a cutscene without interaction.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've noticed they make a considerable stuff that makes sense as a cutscene is playable in this game like the shuttle crash into the bridge scene.

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I do love the turbolifts, freaking balls of death rolling around the ship!

9. kev11106

kev11106 Ensign Newbie

I take it no one's heard of any SDK...

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

For modding? Haven't heard of any. I'm hoping we'll see some mods at some point down the road, but I'm not optimistic.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want someone to noclip through the ceiling and take some plan-view pics of the bridge deck. The Primaguides site has maps of most levels, but none of the bridge and corridors around.

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be appreciated if there were to be mods for this game.

13. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Played a bit more co-op on the Xbox today. Ended up glitched through several checkpoints on the Gorn planet with a power cell stuck to my feet. Couldn't shoot, jump, crouch, etc. We've had experiences like that on a fairly regular basis. Maybe the PC game is different, but the Xbox version is an unfinished mess.

14. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Just wait, they'll find a way.

15. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have a question (i like the game, its not fab, but its ok)...the question...how do you do a running jump over the chasm in the shuttlebay (currently at the Frontier Starbase).

16. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Could someone explain something for me?
    I haven't played it(Star Trek 2012 Game) - but watched the videos. And I noticed how everyone is talking about the "not-so-good"-graphics.
    Then there is Star Trek Online. I haven't played it either - watched screenshots and videos - and I wonder how Trek Fans would accept the Star Trek Online graphics, but slander over Star Trek 2012.

So, how does this work? It sort of bugs me for some weeks. I would like to understand the thought process, because I played none of the games.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Online is three years old. The standards are lower.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Star trek online is not that hot in the graphics department either, its all DX9 stuff from way back 2009, but i dont think it would be much of a improvement to this new game, both games use old tech but STO is simply more polished and tweaked than this new game.

This new game just did the same thing Legacy did a few years ago, promised much and did not delivery, although in this case they simply got greedy and tried to sell a game well past its value, this game would have faired better overal if they had simply sold it at a budget price of say £25, which is what the game it is, but going for that £40 full retail price has backfired on them somewhat.

Shame really, bugs can be patched and fixed at a later date, but if you dont sell enough copies the publisher is not going to spend money on patches, so they sort of shot themselves in the foot with this one.

What i would not give to have the Trek gaming franchise producing the quailty stuff it was making during the mid 90s.:techman:

19. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry to ask again, how do you do big jumps. Still can't get past the chasm in the shuttlebay.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Age aside, I thought STO looked weak because it's an MMO, and massively multiplayer games had to deal with tons of players and stuff going on at the same time, far more than a single or two player game does. Hence, less visual detail.