POLL: Best Movie from the Disney Renaissance?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Oct 27, 2010.

?

Vote for BEST

1. The Little Mermaid

10.7%
  2. The Rescuers Down Under

1.8%
  3. Beauty and the Beast

30.4%
  4. Aladdin

17.9%
  5. The Lion King

26.8%
  6. Pocahontas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7.1%
  8. Hercules

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mulan

3.6%
  10. Tarzan

1.8%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Rescuers Down Under, Pocahontas, Hercules, Tarzan have no votes. I can't say I'm surprised. They are good but not classics.

The Rescuers Down Under REALLY looks like the odd man out when compared to the other movies from the Renaissance.

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's criminal that that didn't win Best Song that year; wasn't even nominated. But then, the Academy never nominates the villain song, for some weird reason.

"Hellfire" is easily the greatest villain song in Disney. It's especially interesting because of how Frollo's character progresses: at the start of the movie, by our standards, Frollo is already pretty evil; in "Hellfire" he embraces evil even by his own standards.

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Beauty and the Beast is the best balance of drama, comedy, music, story, and animation of all the poll's options. Plus, it was Howard Ashman's last. I wish we could have seen what his genius could have done with the stories to come. Though Alan Menken's work is also brilliant, the two of them together are simply magical.

The Little Mermaid really did revive Disney, didn't it! I often wonder if we would have gotten all those great movies - both Disney and Pixar - if it hadn't been for Mermaid.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

"Beauty and the Beast", barely beating out "Mulan". For once the protagonist was truly focused upon others' needs

5. CaptainCanada

Almost certainly no; it was the thin edge of the wedge.

While the various Pixar people and Don Bluth have always gotten a lot of press, I think Ron Clements and John Musker's enormous influence on the last twenty years of animation gets overlooked a lot. They directed The Little Mermaid, which basically set the template for the Disney female lead story that all the subsequent films would follow; and Aladdin (and Hercules), which more or less set the model that Dreamworks and other animation studios have been using ever since.

6. Jptrekker

Jptrekker Captain Captain

Little Mermaid has Constable Odo singing in a French accent. That's gotta be worth a point or two around here.

7. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Lilo & Stitch, so I can't comment there.

However, I'm not at all surprised that Hunchback isn't out on Blu-ray. It is, after all, the red-headed step-child of the Disney canon. It seems like the company has gone to extreme pains to distance itself from the movie.

Case in point - I was at Disney World a mere three years after The Hunchback of Notre Dame was in theatres. I had to search long and hard for ANY Hunchback merchandise; they simply were not promoting the moive at all.

8. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Brother Bear.

:borg:

9. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

^ Actually, Brother Bear is the only one since Hunchback that I've seen that was anywhere near worth a damn.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

My favorite, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE, was released right before this period. Since it is not an option, I'll opt for THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, though I must admit I haven't seen it since my childhood, so I have no idea if it holds up.

11. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and Beauty and The Beast were the best. The others just seemed a little less than stellar. I think when they began churning out the cgi animation it kind of changed things. When was the last time they released a decent film in theaters instead of an umpteenth direct to video sequel?

I like how they are slightly changing their vault system to rush out blu-ray and 'Diamond' editions of the classics. It was a stupid 'artificial scarcity' thing to do in the first place.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I liked Aladdin. However Brother Bear is my favorite Disney movie...ever. :)

13. CaptainCanada

Last year?

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Princess and the Frog was a good return to form for them. Not the most amazing movie but definitely up there in terms of story, characters (good villain), and the music. I really love the music from that movie.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it possible Princess and the Frog could be a springboard of a Second Renaissance of traditional animated fare for Disney?
    So that begs the question, do they have anything in the pipeline using that format for release?

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

^I confess, The Princess and the Frog bored me. The only worthwhile sequence for me was the lead character's dream sequence of opening her restaurant. I thought the animation and design there was superb. The rest of it was forgettable.

I'm looking forward to Tangled though. :)

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Tangled(The Rapunzel film) is Disney? I thought it was Dreamworks.

Maybe P&tF is the start of a Second Renaissance.
    Princess did have a good showing, all things considered, for it being the first 2-D format picture in the traditional style in some time.

Tangled is in 2-D as well, right?

18. CaptainCanada

The Princess and the Frog underperformed expectations, so it's kind of indeterminate at this point. There's one known non-CGI animated film scheduled (a new Winnie the Pooh in 2011; Lasseter is a big fan of that property) - one other, The Snow Queen, was cancelled post-Princess and the Frog. The other known productions are CGI, though I don't see why they couldn't do CGI musicals if that's what people want (actually, the other major studios haven't used that for the more traditional musical format yet, so there's an opening).
    Tangled is Disney, and it's CGI (a specific style they're using to try and mimic oil paintings).

19. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd like to see a nice Rapunzel film, but I'm not sure I'm going to like the way Disney's going to make it look. The Princess and the Frog was no big woop. As you say, most of their films 'underperform' it seems. Perhaps they should just stop making new movies and rerelease the classics? Nothing but restoration, no 3d or cg corrections, just the good stuff!

20. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Thank you, Harvey, for voting for Rescuers Down Under. I ALMOST voted for it, but I really do love my Beauty and the Beast.

But man, I've probably seen Rescuers Down Under more times than BatB, and I've DEFINITELY seen it more than the first Rescuers movie. I adore the movie, even now at age 25.