So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Kindred and Octavia Butler. She was a brilliant human being.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished "I, Q" by Peter David (1999) and enjoyed it. Also, thanks Idran, I listened to Parts 1 - 4 of "Understand" by Ted Chiang and enjoyed them. Am starting to read "Badlands 1 & 2" by Susan Wright (IIRC). Still reading the odd short story from the usual canon of usual suspects. Read "Death of Ivan Ilych" by Leo Tolstoy among others. "Bride Comes to Yellow Sky" by Stephen Crane (1898) was also cool. Also still hoping to finish "Primates in Nature" by Alison F. Richard (1985) which is an old science book suitable for Arts majors. Maybe I can finish this text and then watch "Monkey Kingdom" with a critical perspective.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America by Chris Hedges, having previously finished Christopher L. Bennett's ENT novel Rise of the Federation: Uncertain Logic.

I'm going back to reading Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, Book II of the Mars trilogy.

Comics-wise, I've recently completed Captain America: First Vengeance, Captain America: Red Menace, and Captain America: Winter Soldier. I've also read about the first half of Captain America: The Death of Captain America.

When I finish Green Mars, I think I am going to read The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia by Ursula K. LeGuin.

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm just about finished with the Princess Diaries series. They've been a nice, easy read.

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Star wars Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn. I really have liked his other Star wars novels I've read the last few years.

6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Vanguard Precipice. Will have a little Vanguard break before I go on with 6,7 and 8.

Going on with Serpents in the Garden.

7. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished The Walking Dead, Volume 6: This Sorrowful Life.

I'm currently reading Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Uncertain Logic by Christopher L. Bennett.

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished DS9: The Missing today. Not a bad read at all, a good read but it almost felt like a draft or an abridged novel. Very breezy. Interesting to see how it's tied to the rest of the books. I'm now two chapters into TNG: Takedown which is interesting so far. We'll see where it goes.

With Takedown, I am nearing the end of my "Read all of the books set after the series for DS9, TNG and Voyager" challenge which I began 5 years ago with DS9: Millennium. I do have the two most recent post-series Voyager novels to knock out, but I'm waiting to read them as a trilogy.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review for Slings and Arrows, book 4: That Sleep of Death by Terri Osborne.

Currently finishing up my re-read of World War Z for my book club. Forgot how much I enjoyed that book!

10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every time I see you announce a new review for this series, Kertrats47, it makes me want to purchase these eNovellas immediately, but I can't justify buying them at the current price point.:klingon:

Brooks really loaded that one with a ton of crazy new ideas and scenarios for the zombie apocalypse genre. To this day, I still remember the zombies on the ocean floor coming after the submarine and I read that book when it was first published. Great read.

11. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recently, I've gone through the Vatta Series by Elizabeth Moon, The Circle by David Poyer (I've read others of his I enjoyed more) and done a re-read of the Honorverse series by David Weber.

I'm currently on Ashes of Victory, though I have the new Trek book released on Tuesday and the Longknife series to get through as well.

12. Kertrats47

Yeah, I can't disagree with that. At the current price, I really can't recommend picking them up. If they were bound together in a larger edition like Mere Anarchy was, that would be different.

That scene still gives me the shivers.

I love how each chapter was basically Brooks playing around in a different genre, from straight-up thriller to war story to Japanese legend. Love it!

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the last few days I've finished up STTNG: Cold Equations Book 3: The Body Electric, and Captain America: The Red Menace. I really enjoyed both of them, I already posted my thoughts on Red Menace in my comic book thread, and I'm going to head over the thread for The Body Electric once I'm done here.
    After those were done, I started reading White Night, the ninth Dresden Files novel, and The Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day Vol. 3.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Return to Tomorrow: The Filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture", by Preston Neal Jones.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star wars The choice of one by Timothy Zahn.

16. Kertrats47

Posted my review of the final story in the Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series: The Dominion: Olympus Descending by David R. George III.

About halfway through Crisis of Consciousness by Dave Galanter and enjoying it quite a bit!

17. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    "Rihannsu: The Bloodwing Voyages" by Diane Duane.

18. Kertrats47

Love her Rihannsu novels!

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

As I sit here at my computer fighting a cold and trying to finish my first Stargate SG-1 novel, this post absolutely put a huge smile on my face. Thank you very much Sto-Vo-Kory for the generous words. :bolian:

20. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'll probably finish Pandora's Clock by John J. Nance tonight and begin another Nance book.