HP's competition for the iPad!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Brent, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

While I think HP is overpaying for Palm ($1.2 billion? Really?), webOS is actually a really nice mobile operating system, and is definitely a much better platform for a slate/tablet device than Windows 7.

But they'd better do something about the webOS SDK, which is a piece of shit, as far as I've been told. If nobody wants to write apps for your operating system, your device is as good as dead.

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Well i think it might be killed before it even gets started - "HP Slate killed? Rumor mill says 'yes'" - http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/30/hp-slate-killed-rumor-mill-says-yes/

Maybe Apple was smart going with the iPhone OS on the iPad? Maybe we need an Android slate?

3. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

If Microsoft were smart, they would try and release a slate type product, but link it with the 360. Tackle this particular type of device from a different angle.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Considering there are various interactions possible between the PSP/PS3, and the DS/Wii, this wouldn't be a bad move on Microsoft's part. But they could focus their device on media consumption, like the iPad, rather than gaming. Many people seem to use their 360's as media centers, so it's logical to have a slate device that can attach to it.

Of course, it would need to work away from the 360, too!

5. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, not really. Courier was never a real product and HP just had WebOS drop in their laps. Neither of them were "rushing out" and then stepping back.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well my iPad 3g was just delivered by Fedex. Now normally the Frdex guy is at my house around 1pm and he just delivered mine at 7:15. He looked like he has been through hell. I asked how has it been? He said "unbelievable." Then said "because of the iPad he is many hours behind on his route and that they will be delivering late tonight." I told him good luck and see him on Monday.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Actually they had one that hadn't officially been announced but was garnering some attention (a tried and true approach by companies such as Microsoft and IBM).

Except it's now been canned completely.

http://gizmodo.com/5527442/microsoft-cancels-innovative-courier-tablet-project

oh and a link on Slashdot about HP's latest aquisition - Does HP + Palm = facepalm?

8. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I remember hearing that Microsoft feels pretty burned about the Zune. that's probably why they canceled it. Seems pretty short sighted to me. If they work on creating an inovative product rather than coming across as an Apple knockoff they should do fine

Thinking about it, alot of the work is already done. The 360 OS is probably good enough for a portable device. It already has chat functionality, Facebook functionality, media center capabilities, netflix, etc. All they need to do is allow other people to develop programs for it and they should be fine. It could be pretty awesome if they have a little vision.

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member