The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone else notice how after Darryl had pulled Carol's knife out of the walkers face and wiped the goo off he held it up against the wound as though he was gonna stab it.

I think he was figuring out the angle at which Carol had stabbed the thing and the what way she would have gripped the knife and came to the conclusion that since the knife was buried into the things face practically to the hilt bringing her arm right up against its mouth without having killed it that there was no way she wouldnt have gotten bit which ties into a lot of peoples interpretation of Darryl sitting alone in the corridor angrily stabbing the floor and walls as him expecting to find a zombified Carol behind that door and had sent the others away whilst he himself up to the job of killing her.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Then he's a born sucker.

When he last saw Merle, he was violent, beat T-Dog, and had to be cuffed to the roof. Then, they abandon him (which you know is not going to inspire anything other than thoughts of revenge), and cut his own hand off. Again, there's that inspiration for revenge, which should have shocked Glenn into action the moment he laid eyes on Merle.

What part of his earlier experiences with Merle did he (Glenn) forget which would make him give Merle even a hint of a chance?

Glenn is a nice character, but he kind of asked for the kidnapping.

3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not very fair. He had a gun trained on Merle the entire time for all those same reasons.

Glenn didn't instantly and cold-bloodedly blow Merle away — therefore he's a born sucker and he was asking for it?

I see.

You don't do shades of gray, do you?

4. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Thank you! I always love looking at the scenes that get cut.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched this.

Here's an "attack with guns blazing" that was duplicated later at the barn.

I'm wondering if Merle was behind the attack on the seniors. Daryl, whose powers of observation were great but Rick should've noticed this too, didn't like attacking the helpless--which would feed into his resentment of Merle later.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assumed that the nursing home ended up like that simply because it was full of old people and they didn't know at that point that anyone who died would turn. The first geezer who kicked it and the whole place went down.

7. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

What i suspect is that a group from Woodbury went to Atlanta to look for supplies. They encountered the nursing home people and killed them all for their supplies. They then run into Merle and bough him back to Woodbury.

If Darryl ever turns against his brother, it would be for the reason that Merle is actively carrying out missions for Woodbury, raiding and killing others like that national guard unit for instance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I think Daryl has years of reasons to turn against Merle.

As for Glen, he was not a sucker. His behavior was consistent with what the average person would do in that situation.

That sounds about right to me.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's pointlessly convoluted.

The simplest, likeliest, and best occurrence is exactly what the G-Man posted.

10. the G-man

It also ignores the fact that the Woodbury group wouldn't have left anybody else able to turn.

Thanks. In fact I think that's part of the reason why this scene was cut. it would've telegraph too early that everyone turns whether bitten or not

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

They specifically said that the people were executed and the place was raided. It wasn't zombies.

12. PsychoPere

That egg on my face is what happens when one doesn't take the time to actually watch the clip being discussed first.

Since there's approximately 52 miles between Woodbury and Atlanta (around 1 hour and 30 minutes in non-zombie travel conditions), I suppose it certainly is possible that the Governor's people are responsible.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Sorry, the facts that Merle did wind up with the Woodbury group, that he was in no condition to travel 50+ miles on his own, and that it was specifically stated they found and rescued him all point to EmoBorg being far more correct than the G-man. At least as far as the Woodbury group having been in Atlanta at around that time. Doubly so when we've been exposed to what they do to innocent survivors who have weapons they want.

One of the theories incorporates the behaviors and natures of what we know to be true in the show. The other is completely random and based on no evidence whatsoever. It's a tough call as to which one is more likely to be correct...

14. PsychoPere

That entire last post was superfluous in the face of me already agreeing to the idea. Good work on keeping up.

15. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At some point, will the herds in Atlanta--or any city--ever leave? Are they technically not herds until they start moving as a group, because many of the zombies that we see seem to be on their own until distracted by a sound (or smell, I guess) and then start moving en masse, gathering more as they go.

Do we know if they cross rivers? Would an island with a single bridge, as someone posted above, be the best choice as a haven?

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I don't think Walking Dead has specifically dealt with the issue of water. In World War Z, zombies who ended up in the water somehow would just float on the currents until they reached land and then continue their zombie existence. So an island would be safer than the mainland, but there would always be the danger of a random zombie washing up.

17. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it would be pretty far odds that a zombie could ever make it to an island via currents.

1. I think the salt water would corrode their dead flesh before they got that far.

2. Any type of storm combined with the salt water and sun would batter or bloat a dead body apart.
    At some point they would probably bloat to the point of popping and then just sink.

3. Sharks and fish would eat or peck at them until there was nothing left of them.

4. Lastly I think the odds of making it from point "A" to "B' would be pretty astronomical.

18. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

Reading the above posts reminded me of this scene from an Italian zombie movie.
    I don't know what the original movie title was but, for overseas release, it was given the highly original title "Zombie"

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKIdtQsXCI[/yt]

19. the G-man

The herd that attacked the farm started in Atlanta and then moved out into the country

20. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

We have seen what happens to zombies when they're stuck in water for prolonged periods of time. There was one that had been trapped in a well on Herschell's farm for quite some time. He was pretty gross, but still a threat once they got him out.

It doesn't really matter though. Regardless of where the characters go -- an island, an underground bunker, a space station on the moon -- they won't be safe. If they were, there wouldn't be any point to the show.