Universal Homesexuals?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I am totally in support of same-sex relations. Yes, I use to be homophobic. Well, to be honest, I was male homophobic, but female/female has always been okay in my book. I am old enough now to respect that we are all humans and this is just part of the human condition, so I'm cool with it I guess.

Star Trek has had it's same sex moments. That passionate kiss between Dax and that woman was, well, hot. (Blacked out where I saw it in Mississippi). Then Kira/Ezri and so on....

But...what race do you think would never have same sex relations? Or is it universal. So, to be more to the point; are there gay Klingons? Jem Hedar? Hirogen? Breen? and, last but not lease, Hortas? (hmmmmmm...it would be like watching two pizzas going at it)

Robert

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Of course there are.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Whatever else may happen with this thread, the absurdity/surreality of a momentary mental image of two rented (or not) Hortas will have made it worthwhile.

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Infinite Diversity and all that. Why not? :) I'm still waiting for the half-human, half-Horta son of a surrogate Thasian mother living with an adoptive Breen and Tholian male couple.

Of course, Jem'Hadar are born not to have sexual relations, but to fight... not to say they can't become more than a fighting machine, of course.

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I love your picard's head chasing indianna jones thingy..did you make that???

Rob

6. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Well, no. What happened was I found it on the Internet by chance a while back and thought to myself, "That would make a great avatar!" Thankfully, it didn't require too much reformatting into the board's original avatar requirements. And I managed to make a bigger version for vBulletin.

Thanks! :)

7. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

You know ...
    I just thought of something that might have been explored as a same-sex relationship for example.

They could do it through the Klingons.
    Why ?
    They're a PERFECT example.
    Homophobia on a larger scale (but not in all cases) in the real world stems from religion.

Now Klingons were portrayed as a proud, warrior race.
    Highly religious and on numerous levels close-minded (or at the very least it takes them a lot of time to open to new ideas).

What if a male-male relationship between 2 Klingons was portrayed which would be highly problematic for a Klingon society to accept.
    In essence, have the Klingons portray the same problems with homophobia that exists today, and humans for having to resolve such issues.
    Having 2 male Klingons face problems for their relationship could prove to be interesting.
    Also you could make it 'universal' by having humans or our heroes in general mention in a conversation how there is a large number of same sex relationships in the Federation and that a lot of those individuals are highly decorated officers for example (if arguing in front of the Klingon court or something they could mention several well known admirals or even captains, perhaps even people who fought against or with Klingons in battle and saved/helped them on numerous occasions) and some of our heroes could be established as being in same sex relationships (after all, no one ever said that all of them were explicitly heterosexual).

I think a Klingon setting for this would be interesting if you want to use aliens to portray current day problems (and not just any 'alien of the week').
    But also, that doesn't have to be the main story of the episode.
    It could be made in a way that it causes major issues or a large conflict.

My apologies for straying (if it could be considered as such) a bit from the topic.
    But I would dare say that there are in fact homosexuals throughout the universe ... or at the very least the Milky Way galaxy where all life was seeded by that first alien race in 'The chase'.
    And if that was any indication (along with examples of same sex - albeit solely female type relations - because for some reason it would appear to be more accepted than 2 males :rolleyes: ) then it's a trait which is probably shared by most (if not all races in the Milky Way) ... unless some of those races are ultra conservative and resorted to genetic modifications/whatnot to try and eliminate that feature from their population (as distasteful it sounds to me).

8. Non-Trekkie Trekkie

Non-Trekkie Trekkie Captain

Klingon Ferries? Romulan Nancies?? Nausigan Picklesmoochers???

Somehow it just doesn't add-up. :guffaw:

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate agreeing with you, but I think you're on to something :)

If anything, I would think that, with the Klingons being the most Spartan or most Samurai-like of Trek cultures, they'd probably engage on some level of socially acceptable homosexual practices, just as certain Earth warrior cultures practiced hundreds of years ago.

And, really, what's so funny about the idea of Romulan nancies? That's all they've ever been! :)

10. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with a Klingon Ferry? It's just takes people and cargo from one side of a river to the other.

11. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Having a well-liked alien race handle the subject is the best way to go about it, agreed. If they can do that, then we can refine from there and make a major CHARACTER homo/bi.

I'm leaning twords bi myself simply because it can be handled with humor, like how I handle my "bi-ness" in real life.

CAPTAIN: "So, bringing Commander Swarth to the dance, Number One?
    XO: "Naah, we broke up. Stupid women, they're all the same."
    CAPTAIN: "So you're not going after all?
    XO: "Depends if Lt. Hoark makes up his mind or not.
    CAPTAIN: (deadpan) "Oh that would be nice you two make such a cute couple."

...see? Not so hard, and it's silly. :)

12. Non-Trekkie Trekkie

Hey, I'm cool with it! Just as long as it doesn't prance to the other side of the river.

13. Deks

True, but I'm personally tired of homosexuality/bisexuality/trans/other being equated on TV with 'happy'/'comedic' ... or even worse, with a 'joke'.
    It's getting tiresome and sometimes it's insulting even.
    Not to mention that some people could think of such a scene as 'silly' indeed (translation: 'that's all?', 'why do they bother?' etc ...).
    I mean, I like the idea, but I was thinking with something that has more ... substance and detail.

14. Deks

Oh you just gave me an image of a male Klingon dressed in a pink tutu with wings and a tiara, bouncing up and down while spinning and suddenly dropping over the ledge in the river.
    Reminds me on the overly feminine male gay character from a movie 'Producers' who went to answer the door while in a happy mood, jumping once out of excitement and spraying his spine in the process.
    I forgot his name but do know he was playing a part of Roger Debries husband. :D

They could just skip with the 'serious Klingon gay' portrayal and just do that.
    Although I think the sad ending would be that the Klingon high council would vaporize him the moment he made the first spin.
    :D

15. Non-Trekkie Trekkie

Just put a bat'leth in his hand and have him run-through a couple of targs along the way.

16. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

Someone above made a good point. Spartan culture (if I'm not mistaken) and all of pre-Hellenistic greek culture had a strong homosexual element. I don't see Klingons as so far removed from a warrior ethos that would encourage a closeness where lovers would fight fiercely for one another in battle.

17. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Well, this was a big dissapointment. And here I thought this was going to be a thread about people who like to have sex with houses; Alas, I guess I'm still the only person I know who keeps a few copies of 'Better Homes And Gardens' under his matress. :rolleyes:

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Brokeback Mountain style sex scenes could make Klingons interesting.

19. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Good point.

The trick would be to balance it just like any charater. Light moments like this, along with normal moments and dramatic moments. H

THIS REQUIRES MORE THOUGHT however Easter Wine has caused a distinct disruption in normal cognitive processes at the moment.

20. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, that makes perfect sense. I can see that. Totally. It would have been a bold move, one that Star Trek should not have been afraid of taking. Could have made a great episode.

Trek hasn't taken a risk in years. All we got were action episodes, which were fine - but the "issue" episodes of Trek died out years. I remember the Q episode about Euthanasia in Voyager, but I don't remember too much since then.

NuBSG confronts issues more than Enterprise never did.

Did Enterprise tackle any issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.