Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Red Alert! This is not a drill!

It looks like the episode of The Virginian that COZI will be airing shortly (8 a.m. EST) is the one I saw some weeks back with Leonard Nimoy as Michael Ansara's deputy, if anyone wants to catch it.

As I recall, they come off like a couple of bastards, but the story turns in their favor.

2. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be nice to see.

3. The Old Mixer

They're also brothers, I'd missed that the first time around when I had the sound down pretty low in the background.

ETA: Here's a bit of extremely crappy home video from the episode that I found:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si6ediEs2bA[/yt]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I remember NOTL playing at the drive-in when I was a kid. Funny thing, none of the advertising (posters, print ads, TV commercials, etc) even hinted that the "Lepus" were giant bunny rabbits.

As I recall, the ads just showed ominous eyes staring from the shadows . . ..

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I guess biologists and Latin students had an edge over everyone else, then.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Guess that wasn't the demographic they were worried about. :)

Movie reviewers, on the hand, had no compunctions about revealing the what kind of "monsters" moviegoers could expect--and mocking the movie mercilessly!

7. The Old Mixer

Did any of the reviewers make Monty Python jokes, perchance?

8. Christopher

No, because Night of the Lepus came out three years before Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

9. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I was watching an MST3K episode that ragged on the 1977 SST Death Flight, because I wanted my Barbara Anderson fix. However, this film had a few people who were in Trek aside from Anderson: Brock Peters, Robert Ito, and a John De Lancie...

I also caught Barbara Anderson on an episode of Simon and Simon - the first episode I ever watched of the show, I was just familiar with the theme song - where she is a fashion designer.

10. The Old Mixer

Just caught The Shat in a 1973 episode of a series called The Bold Ones: The New Doctors. He and Alfred Ryder were in the hospital for heart surgery. Must have been all that ham....

11. The Old Mixer

Glitchy double post thingie.

12. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I'm surprised Night of the Lepus got so much traction.
    I thought it was a TV movie because I seem to remember watching part of it as a kid in the early 70's. And the credits looked like a TV movie of the era.
    I'd still like to know how they would explain one giant killer rabbit multiplying into over a hundred in just a couple of days. The rabbits in our neighborhood multiply, but not that fast. I've got two little cottontails that live in my yard. They're brother and sister born in our backyard last Spring. I usually feed them after dark a few times a week. After seeing that movie, I'm being real careful what I feed them. Our neighbors have been feeding the male carrots. But they are both still small. The male is stupid. He doesn't know how to hide and keep still.

On a related note: I've seen several Trek actors on "Hogan's Heroes" this week.
    The guy that played Korob from "Catspaw". The girl that played Miramanee. Celeste Yarnell has been on. And also Arlene Martel. And also the head chick from "Spock's Brain".

13. The Old Mixer

Huh...NBC is airing a one-hour version of the Shat's infamous 1986 SNL appearance right now.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you! Recording.... This is the first time I've been able to really make out the pictures hung in the background....

15. The Old Mixer

Hah! I didn't remember that they labeled the revolving restaurant sketch "Star Trek V". It's a heck of a lot better than the one we got in the theaters two and a half years later...!

"Dr. McCoy, this man needs medical attention!"
    "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a...oh, yeah, sure...."

16. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Hogan's is just full of Trek guest stars - as you mentioned, Theo Marcuse, all those ladies - Arlene Martel's Tiger shows up about once a season - all sorts of Trek actors show up. John Hoyt will (excuse the pun) generally show up once a season as a German general. Joe Tormolen is in the pilot episode..and on and on. Even though it was not a Desilu PRODUCTION, HH was filmed at Desilu Culver (Yes, there is a difference - many so-called historians somehow get confused about this for some reason.) About halfway through the series run, Marc Daniels shows up to direct a few episodes.

Although it was a stupid idea, Hogans Heroes is a great example of where. with right people running it, a show like that can be entertaing - for years!

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The idea of a group of Allied soldiers running an espionage operation from inside a POW camp isn't stupid, it's crazy brilliant!

18. The Old Mixer

19. Christopher

Yup. Before Herb Solow revitalized Desilu with Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, and Mannix, they only actually produced The Lucy Show and got by mainly through renting their production facilities to other companies.

The Stalag 13 camp was on the Culver City backlot, on the area once occupied by the Tara estate in Gone With the Wind. (http://www.retroweb.com/40acres_tour_pt4.html) The Mission: Impossible episode "Trial by Fury" (with Paul Winfield!) was shot on the Stalag 13 sets.

20. The Old Mixer

The Mission: Impossible episode now airing on MeTV has the IMF taking on the team supreme of Roger Korby, Anan 7, and Archie Bunker!