Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Casting Banks as Rita gives this movie a ton of legitimacy that it simply hadn't had before now. I'm surprised they were able to get her - but I've been a big fan of her (not only on Hunger Games, but as far back as her stints on Scrubs and 30 Rock) so I'd love to see her as Rita. This may just work after all...

And Carla Perez was very Asian - Fillipino as a matter of fact, in the American footage, and of course Japanese in the original Zyuranger. She was voiced by a caucasian actress in either case, Barbara Goodson (whom I've met).

Mark

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

You can search for TV-Nihon. They've been subbing since 2004.

Ninninger is the latest sentai.

Saturday will be the final episode

I personally would recommend Go-busters.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wasn't sure about that. I found that Julia Cortez, who played Rita in the first feature film, was Filipina-Australian, but I only found one reference to Perez being Filipina, so without corroboration I couldn't be sure it wasn't just someone mixing her up with Cortez. Do you have a source I couldn't find?

And I think you mean to say that Rita/Bandora was Japanese in the original Zyuranger, as played by Machiko Soga, of course. I don't think Carla Perez was in Zyuranger...

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Zyuranger and Dairanger have been released on DVD by Shout Factory, Zyuranger is also streamed legally by shout but it's kinda boring in my opinion.

A ton of other sentais have been fansubbed, the fansubs are technically illegal but Toei doesn't care, they contacted some groups to take down things like Kamen Rider The First when it was released commercially in the US, so they are aware of the subs. They probably like the exposure they get in the west and of course they and Bandai also like the money western fans spend on merchandise. ;)

5. Samurai8472

Not to mention that things go both ways.

Bandai of America used Gokaiger footage in some of the toy commercials for "Super Mega Force

Go to the 50 second mark to see the subtitles from Tv-Nihon being used lol

6. Mark_Nguyen

That's correct. Carla was Rita from the second season of MMPR onwards once they ran out of Zyuranger footage, except for the occasional re-used clip featuring Machiko Soga and the aforementioned movie.

No real source on Perez's ethnicity, but it's tough to have her look and last name and NOT be Filipina. This coming from a guy who is Vietnamese-Canadian by birth and constantly mistaken for a Pinoy, especially when I was heavier. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702102/

And I second 8472's recommendation on Go-busters, though we're in the clear minority on both sides of the pond. I tend to prefer tokusatsu shows where being in the suit is part of the job, instead of random familial or fantastical reasons people end up falling into the position. Hence why I also like SPD/Dekaranger, Lost Galaxy, and even Lightspeed Rescue (though IMO the SPD writing was very good for the franchise standard) as well as the recent Kamen Rider Drive. On the flipside, I'm also enjoying Dino Thunder, so there are exceptions. :)

Mark

7. Christopher

There are plenty of Asian Latin Americans in various countries, notably Peru and Brazil. (Remember Peru's disgraced president Alberto Fujimori?) Not to mention that there are plenty of both Latin- and Asian-Americans in the southwestern US, so intermarriage is certainly possible.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Can't deny or discount that. Still, the simplest explanation to me is that she's of Phillipine descent, explaining her Southeast-Asian look and hispanic last name. Not that it REALLY matters, as has been mentioned, Rita's an alien space witch first. I won't dwell - but it looks like she does the con circuit, I suppose someone could ask at some point. :)

http://www.lexingtoncomiccon.com/guests.html

Looks like she's an IT consultant these days. No word on maintaining technology used to make monsters grow.

Mark

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'd be hilarious (and pretty meta) if Banks physically played Rita, but her voice was dubbed by an Asian American actress.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, it REALLY matters as I need to update all my checklists and diversity algorithms. I'm still trying to work out Legends of Tomorrow since both Wentworth Miller and Ciara Renee claim to be 70% white, I'm not sure which boxes to tick.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to check out Zyuranger on Shout!, since that is the one I'm most curious about. I might go ahead and check out some of the others on youtube too then since it sounds like there's not much of an issue there.

12. Christopher

Dino Super Charge: "Forgive and Forget": I like the idea of the main villain infiltrating the Rangers as their friend. That's a dynamic that hasn't been used very often. There was Tommy in "Green With Evil," but he became unfriendly toward the Rangers as soon as he was put under Rita's spell. And there was Anton Mercer/Mesogog in Dino Thunder, but he wasn't exactly a friend hanging around with the team, from what I recall. Heckyl earning the Rangers' trust was a terrific setup, and it's a shame they had to cancel it out in the end with the memory wipe. (And why did they lose only recent memory instead of their entire memory like everyone else?)

I thought the plot of Riley and his old rival was going to go differently. I expected that Riley would risk losing his bond with his Energem by using it for selfish gain. I guess they didn't want to compromise him that much.

Tyler without his memory was funny. Brennan Meija's a good comic actor. He's a great improvement over the previous two Red Rangers, especially the walking mannequin from Megaforce.

13. Samurai8472

Ninninger just ended 2 hours ago

Here is the latest passing of the torch moment at the tail end of the last episode

It's a tradition started in 2004

14. Samurai8472

6th ranger revealed

[​IMG]

15. Mark_Nguyen

Great, how will that be done in English then? The Tricolor Ranger? Neapolitan Ranger?

Of course there are no guarantees, and they'll be doing Nininnger for two years (most likely), but IMO Zyuoger seems to fit in well with what Saban would prefer to send to Western audiences (i.e. dinosaur / animal or warrior themes). Given how they botched it with Megaforce, I'd expect them to sick to the non-vehicular themes where possible, if for no other reason than it doesn't confirm to the MMPR formula (animal robots, 5+x rangers, etc.).

Also IMO ToQger had little going for it in the first place. Wish they'd do an PRM-like job on GoBusters though, I think it's have done well with the Hot Wheels / Spykids crowd.

Mark

16. Samurai8472

I hada perfect name picked out for "Toqger" too.

"Power Ranger's Express Rescue"

17. Christopher

It occurs to me that it might be a good idea for the moderator to rename this thread "Power Rangers and Super Sentai," because there's at least as much discussion of the latter as the former.

18. Cyke101

For Americans, I got another one:

Power Rangers: SLAMTRAK

19. Christopher

Magic wand, make my lawsuit grow!

20. Cyke101

I summon Lawyer Ressha!

(Litigator Zord for the Americans)