(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can understand Wenger's frustration and anger, but I believe Shawcross when he says that there was no malice in the tackle. It was poor, and unfortunate in that he made contact just after Ramsay had planted his standing foot. There was just no give. I can't see the FA doing anything to increase Shawcross's ban, and rightly so IMO.

Shame about Chelsea. :lol:

2. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I couldn't care less about Shawcross and whether or not he felt there was no malice, I don't feel anger towards him, but I think he has to take a good look at himself. Ramsey's the one in hospital with a potentially career threatening injury, so Shawcross gets little sympathy or time from me, he'll be playing next week for England, and for his team again very soon.

Chelsea? Well what can you say, they'll definitely drop more points before the end of the season, their run-in all but guarantees that.

3. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

It's official, this season sucks :scream: :(

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

0:3, hm? Ouch.
    My club had a painful defeat today too. Only 0:1, but it probably cost us a realistic chance at winning the championship. :(

5. Shaytan

0-3 but not against an random team, AGAINST THE DEADLY ENEMY :scream:

Edit :

Hey, you won't have to change your sig for the next season :)
    (ok, I've said nothing...)

6. Roger Wilco

Yeah, I understand, that hurts. Alcohol helps though. ;)

I'm fine with just winning it once a decade anyway, I'm not greedy. ;)

7. Shaytan

Hurting is not the word but yeah I will have a beer ;)

I won't disturb you in your state of deny ;)

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah crap, another day another Man Utd trophy.

I'm sure the ref will be able to explain why two Villa players got carded after Vidic comitted a similar foul that led to a penalty (and when he might even have been the last man) and didn't even get a yellow? Then again much how Rafael got a mere warning after two fouls in quick succesion.

I'd have loved to see Villa win this. I loved the coment from one of the commentary team though..."Well Capello's probably glad that Owen's injured himself, that's one less hard decision." :lol:

9. Angel4576

Yes, a shame. Villa looked good until United scored. After that, I didn't feel that the result was in too much doubt. Villa only really looked dangerous again after United went ahead.

Vidic I would say deserved a yellow card. I don't think that you could justify a red. If the foul had been committed when Agbonlahor was clean through then yes, but as it was, the lad lost the ball in his feet and had to check, giving Vidic the chance just to get goalside again, which is when he brought Agbonlahor down.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd agree it didn't warrant a red, and I think you'd have to be a brave ref to send off a player mere minutes into a Wembley final, but he definitely should have had a yellow, especially considering what happened not long after to the Villa players, and the fact Vidic got a yellow in the second half as well.

Yeah unfortunately Villa didn't keep up the tempo of the start, which is a shame as they made Utd look vulnerable.

11. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

^ Yeah, it was a good first half of football I think. I couldn't watch the second half so in my head United haven't won. ;)

That there were two other 3pm Premier League kick-offs shows how poorly perceived the competition is though.

12. Angel4576

One of the reasons that I enjoyed the match was that it felt like a proper cup final. Might be because Villa were there and it wasn't just Man Utd Vs Chelsea, AGAIN! I think in part the competition is devalued when you get the same teams in the final year in, year out and they make it apparent in their lineups how seriously they take the competition.

13. Eleanor_zhDarjel

Eleanor_zhDarjel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the year of the flood, St. Stephen King Day
    My poor Hertha is going down. My best friend team probably too. We alredy agreed on getting really pissed when that happens.

2. Bundesliga. Pf.

14. Roger Wilco

I have to admit it's very enjoyable for me to see Hertha go down, no offense. It would have been even funnier if they had switched places with Union. ;)

15. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had been hoping for a relegation match Hertha vs Union. :)

16. Roger Wilco

Yeah, that would have been great, for a while it looked possible but now it seems that Union isn't quite strong enough for that yet. Still, if Hertha gets relegated, I think that would be the first (non-friendly) Berlin derby in a long time for Hertha, or even in the Bundesliga generally I think. Maybe the first one ever near the top flight of German football, or at least since WWII, except BFC v Union in the DDR Oberliga?

17. Eleanor_zhDarjel

Sure, no offense (makes voodoo-doll).
    Gr. No. I don't want to see this derby. At. All. And now excuse me, I will go and by some alcohol.

18. Roger Wilco

It will still happen though. ;)
    Unless Hertha makes a miracle comeback which btw wouldn't be as much of a miracle as it looked like in the winter break anyway. There's still hope for you to get to the relegation-play off place at least.

19. Eleanor_zhDarjel

Not listening, nonono.
    Pf. Meany. There is still hope.

20. Shaytan

:wtf: Wow !
    Good bye Madrid :lol: