Favorite Trek Movie Rumors

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Sir Rhosis, Oct 15, 2015.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not a rumor. Search for Michael Piller's The Making of Star Trek: Insurrection.

2. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

To me the only "Justice League of Star Trek" would have been a full TOS/TNG crossover with the entirety of both crews. It could have been good if they'd handled it right.

3. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

I've heard it stated that Roddenberry offered the director's chair of TMP to Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Francis Ford Coppola, but they all turned it down. No idea if that's true or not.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When ST IV was being made, my club got "word from the set" from a Paramount security guard that he had seen them building a exact replica of the Guardian of Forever, hence the rumours of time travel were... TRUE!

When "Entertainment Tonight" featured their exclusive piece on the Klingon Bird of Prey crashing into the water, we assumed that the sequence happened at the start of their 20th century adventure, and we couldn't imagine how they were ever going to get the ship working again to return to the 23rd century.

Yes!

I remember when rumours were bouncing around GEnie and UseNet about the possible return of Saavik in "ST VI: The Undiscovered Country". We heard how Nick Meyer wanted Kirstie Alley, but she turned him down, and how Robin Curtis wasn't even asked, but suddenly Kim Cattrall (of "Porky's" and "Mannequin" fame) - who was supposedly Meyer's first choice for Saavik back in the days of casting ST II - was in, but not wanting to be the third actress to play the part. (So she called her character "Eris", and Meyer added a "Val'" prefix to make it sound more Vulcan. The final shooting script lists her as "Val'eris".)

At that point, we had no idea that Saavik/Valeris was to be a co-conspirator, but "word from the set" was that the new character would be explained as being the hyper-aged daughter of Spock and Saavik, due to Spock's Genesis Wave affected genes!

5. Therin of Andor

There was no transporter beam needed. That was Iman's character, disguised as Kirk, being vaporized. (Ah, I see that's been covered.)

Yes, but not a rumor. It was true. Although the scene works much better with Admiral Janeway, the second choice.

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad they didn't. At best, it would have been awkward for Picard to be taking orders from a former Borg with only nominal affiliation with Starfleet, and no actual rank. And that doesn't even bring in the things general audiences would remember from 'First Contact'.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I was sad when they destroyed the E in TSFS. My disappointment was made worse upon hearing the rumour that the ugly-as-crap Excelsior would now be the hero ship going forward.

They did do that on the comics, but onscreen they disproved the rumour.

Mind you we still got the lemon 1701A.

Way back I, too, heard the rumours of a Starfleet Academy film. I was horrified. It didn't materielize...until decades later as ST09.

8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but the effect and camera angle of the shot in the trailer was different than in the movie. It's a slower disintegration that could be mistaken for a transporter (and gives Kirk/Martia the chance to watch his/her demise).

Of course, at the time of the trailer, no one knew what the scene in the movie looked like!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I remember some of these rumors, especially the "Justice League of Trek" and "Emperor Tiberius" ones.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I remember a story treatment for First Contact circulating around the internet that somehow included Lwaxana Troi as a character. I don't remember it being terribly good, either. About the only thing the movie ended up having in common with the final project was the Borg as villains and the words "Star Trek" in the title. :p

11. Therin of Andor

When ST III was being made, a leaked "ST III: Return to Genesis" script treatment was bootlegged at US conventions. After the fact, it was obvious that the document, even though a very early draft of what became the final film, had been genuine.

With ST IV imminent, the same bootleggers distributed "ST IV: The Trial of James T. Kirk", a kitchen sink story of a script treatment (featuring Kor, Oxmyx, and the Female Romulan Commander, among many others), supposedly by John Peel (who was known in "Doctor Who" fandom and eventually did a Trek novel), but ultimately totally false. (Or perhaps pitched by him, to deaf Paramount ears?)

David Gerrold's early TNG script, "Blood and Fire", famously had a gay couple in it, and when "Generations" was underway someone grafted in a scene (almost word-for-word from B&F) to a leaked bootleg script, and the false rumours abounded that a gay couple would guest star. Of course, "Generations" came and went with no hint of that story fragment.

Years later, when pics for "First Contact" came up, UseNet went into rumour overdrive, with pics of blue-eyed Lt Hawk (Neal McDonough) as proof of the "new gay character" - and someone even resurrected the portions of the old leaked "Generations" script to make it look like the rumour was true.

Authors Andy Mangels (an out gay man) & Michael A. Martin had the last laugh, though, picking up on those old fan rumours when they did their excellent "Section 31" tie-in novel (and "First Contact" prequel), starring Hawk, and deciding that the character really was gay.

The first "Nemesis" cast listing on IMBd featured the names of every surviving Romulan character from TOS, TNG and DS9! It was hilarious!

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the same rumor popped up for Nemesis.

13. FormerLurker

Some version or other of that "Trial of James T. Kirk" script ended up being adapted by DC Comics during their run of Star Trek comics. It even had scenes with Kor and Oxmyx in it.

14. Therin of Andor

Mmmm. John L. Flynn, not Peel. Sorry about that. I think he also had Dr Who connections?

Ah, here he is:
    http://www.john-flynn.com/

So New Media Publishing and "SFTV magazine" in the 80s.

But it was probably a fluke. If you're going to put Kirk on trial, the list of significant witnesses of his past crimes will reflect the same roll call. John L. Flynn was not credited in the comic.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was a case of Peter David saying "Hey, that's not a bad idea..." and doing his own thing with it. He did a similar thing with an annual set during Kirk's time at Starfleet Academy after the Harve Bennett concept for STVI fell through. Not the same story, but it had the basic premise of Kirk at the Academy in common. David's story featured a lot of stuff we'd heard about in passing before, like Finnegan, Ben Finney, Matt Decker, the Kobayashi Maru test, Kirk's roommate Gary Mitchell, Ruth, Sam Kirk, and Mitchell steering "a little blonde lab technician" named Carol Marcus Kirk's way.

Kor wasn't in the "Trial of James T. Kirk" comic storyline, though. It featured cameos from Bella Oxmyx, Anan 7 from "A Taste of Armageddon," and a grown-up Leonard James Akaar from "Friday's Child." The Klingon Ambassador from STIV ("There shall be no peace as long as Kirk lives!") also figured into the plot.

16. FormerLurker

I must have mistaken the ambassador for Kor. That was a long time ago, and I wasn't one for collecting the DC Star Trek comics.

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

This was posted in the "Countdown" Thread:

Hmmmm...plugged that gibberish into the Search, and got an IMDb synopsis contribution page. Seems you can add a synopsis to a listing...did not know you could just do that. Anyway, it looks like there were only two contributors to the page, "LadyLori" (5 hours ago) and "Vondrousek-Jiri". Somebody playing games?

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Not to mention the artwork in the DC ST comics from that era was terrible :lol:

19. Therin of Andor

And Maltz (ST III)!

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

If this is real;

Now we know he didn't invent the stuff

Transparent Aluminum Now A Reality
    By Edwin Kee on 11/03/2015

transparent-aluminum
    The way mankind has progressed is impressive to say the least, and what was once in the realm of science fiction has once again, become reality. What am I referring to? Well, I remember transparent aluminum in Star Trek: The Voyage Home? Well, it seems that transparent aluminum is as real as it gets today, thanks to US Naval Research Laboratory scientist Dr. Jas Sanghera who described it as “actually a mineral, it’s magnesium aluminate. The advantage is it’s so much tougher, stronger, harder than glass. It provides better protection in more hostile environments—so it can withstand sand and rain erosion.”
    Being a more durable material, it will boast of a thinner layer of spinel which is touted to deliver a better level of performance as opposed to glass. When one takes weight-sensitive platforms such as UAVs (unmanned autonomous vehicles), and head-mounted face shields, you can be sure that this is a technology that will change the way we see the world work.
    Sanghera further describes the manufacturing process, so to speak, “You put the powder in [a hot press], you press it under vacuum, squash this powder together—and if you can do that right, then you can get rid of all the entrapped air, and all of a sudden it comes out of there clear-looking.” When the sheet is fresh off the press, it will be ground and polished before being refined further into other uses like bulletproof glass. Should the cost come down in due time, then consumer applications will also benefit, including smartphones and watches.