Sci-Fi from the DVD Cheap Bin

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 2takesfrakes, Nov 13, 2013.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

TNG Data lovers should enjoy this 8O's romp!

Continental Drift has speeded up, winning Man's Fight Against Nature. A Mighty Wind called The Slipstream has resulted, making aeroplanes the prefered, perhaps only, mode of travel, in this post apocolyptic world.

One such pilot, a Han Solo-type character, is played by Bill Paxton. Whilst Mark Hamill & Kitty Aldridge play cops taking in Bob Peck playing an android who's taken a Human life, Bill Paxton decides he's going to kidnap their prisoner and take him in, himself - and claim the reward money!

Kitty is so gorgeous, I just love looking at her. Love me some Kitty. You don't know how lucky you are boys, back in the UK!

If all that doesn't clinch it for you, I know just the thing that will: Steven Lisberger directs! Yes!!! The same man who brought you the very first TRON, directs this feature. A feature that's so bad ... it's good!

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn... And that's a mighty fine cast to have in a B pic like that... Wow.. They must have all had some hefty bills to pay to have agreed to that... Nice hair, Bill.. Holy crap!!

3. 2takesfrakes

That's what I say about the original STARGATE movie with Kurt Russell in it ... !!!
    SLIPSTREAM is a very unique picture, despite its shortcomings. I do not believe I've ever seen anything quite like it. It only saw limited theatrical release in the UK and did not do well, in that market. Nor was it released in the Home Theatre market, until just a few years ago, in fact ... it's like it's a new movie in that respect, this gem from a past decade.

4. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

That was my first thought. Such a recognizable list of names for such a movie.

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

TIMEQUEST (2002) - Ralph Waite, Bruce Campbell, Victor Slezak, Caprice Benedetti. A time traveller visits JFK and alters the course of history.

Really like this film, can definitely recommend it.

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Slipstream was available on vhs not that long after it was made in '89 or '90. I remember renting it.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This movie was directed by Steven Lisberger, the creator of Tron.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah. It says that in the last paragraph of the original post you quoted.

It didn't play in theaters in the United States, but I saw it on cable back around then, possibly on Sci-Fi Channel, or Showtime. It was so bad, I thought it was a made for TV special.

9. 2takesfrakes

Another Cheap Bin Gem!
    Apparently, this feature had a very limited release. I was completely unaware of it. But from my limited research, I've found that it was just about as well-received as SLIPSTREAM was! :rofl:

10. 2takesfrakes

Quite correct, neighbor! Everyone, apparently, knew about this movie, except for me. For example: I was unaware of its Video Release, shortly after its run (such as it was), or that it was broadcast on Cable T.V. not long after. Here, It's impressive how knowledgable STAR TREK fans can be of other, obscure, non-Trek shows. Most impressive ...

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I scanned the article but did not see that fact the first time.

12. 2takesfrakes

... HA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well ... I happen to enjoy its campyness.
    In this way, it reminds of the fun of TOS!
    It's most enjoyable ...

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral