Miranda Class

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by NCC-1701-B, Apr 7, 2009.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would try to argue that no one thought the audience would be confusing the ship on screen with a "hero" ship when they showed all kinds of Galaxy class ships on DS9, but then considering how often I heard people say "is that the Enterprise?"...

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    One must also consider the first time DS9 showed a Galaxy class, it was to blow it up to make a point. Afterward, all the ones we saw were after the Enterprise-D was (grumble) destroyed and it was technically no longer a Hero Ship.

TNG had overlap with the TOS movies, which is probably why they avoided showing operational Constitution class ships - even though it was 80 years later, they were still making the movies with them in them. Which in turn probably explains why there was never a CGI model made of it, which is why we didn't see them in action on DS9 or VGR.

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To further confuse my earlier point, in TOS, whenever they showed another starship, it was almost always another Connie. :wtf:

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    ^Which was of course budgetary.

5. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

It's obvious. Someone clearly ordered 30 Reliant class ships to take light duties away from the larger more adaptable vessels. Someone mistook a smiley face for a zero and they ended up with 300.

So now they're just trying to wear the damn things out!

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And really, that's the only reason why Starfleet keeps going to war. The Dominion? C'mon now, the war wouldn't have happened if the Federation didn't keep butting into sovereign territory :)

Consequently, what ship is most often seen on the front lines? That's right, the Miranda. And some of them *still* survived the war. Boo-yah!

7. CharlieZardoz

CharlieZardoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think the main reason why Miranda's were abundant in the Dominion war was due to how the series creators wanted to make the battles scenes. The Dominion had big ships and little ships which are faster and since the Defiant is considered a prototype, I think they chose the Miranda to be the Starfleet equivalent to the Klingon Bird of Prey or The Dominion fighters. That way you have this nice effect of little ships weaving in between the big ships. I really think that was the only reason they were so common and the registries suggest a fair amount of them were built some time in the early 24th century making them not too old.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Holy four-year-old thread revive, Batman!:p

And no, the reason why Mirandas were in the DS9 fleet scenes was because ILM made a Miranda CGI model for FC which along with the Akira, SAber and Steamrunner, were given to CBS for use in DS9. It had nothing to do with how big or small the ships were.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Four years old...?

It required some digging to find this old thread.
    :lol:

10. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Fleets use of Miranda Class ships in the Dominion War reminds me too much of "Operation Human Shield" from South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut.

11. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

In other assume th audiance is dumb......