Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm pretty sure she was wearing a wig. I remember noticing where it was attached at her hairline in close-ups. At any rate, I don't think it really matters what colour Lois Lane's hair is as long as the performance is good.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm perpetually disappointed by putative adults making those kinds of superficial and thoughtless complaints about casting. It's as if they've never actually seen a movie and/or have no understanding of how movies are made.

Yes, that's what it was! When she finally had the blue-black brunette look I think there was some implication that it came out of a bottle.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Wow, forgot about that hair style. Never have liked Lois with short hair (could be because I love long haired women :). I am expecting more casting news...don't know when though.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't see that there is a discrepancy. For one thing, as I've said, given that Lois is usually portrayed as an accomplished, veteran journalist, I don't see any reason not to portray her as being 36. It would be unrealistic for her to be only in her mid-20s and have accomplished that much. For another thing, actors and actresses often play characters older or younger than themselves. Most high-school characters in TV and movies are played by actors in their 20s. And as others have pointed out, Ms. Adams has a youthful face and could easily play 20s or 30s as needed.

For another thing, not only is it easy and commonplace for actresses to change their hair color, but Lois has been portrayed with dark red or auburn hair in the past. So there's no real "discrepancy" here either.

True, "moron" is unnecessarily insulting -- but assuming that it's impossible for an actress to play a character of a different age or hair color from herself is really rather irrational.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

There's issues about the "age" and "hair color" of some "character?" Fuck that. It's Amy Adams.

[​IMG]

Why are we complaining?

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because people are finicky and the internet is a dumping ground for bitching and moaning. :)

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, it's not about fidelity to the source material. It's about an oddly persistent failure to understand the concept of "acting."

I keep waiting for somebody to complain that Amy Adams can't play Lois because she's not really a reporter! :)

9. Admiral_Young

^ That's probably happened on the 'net somewhere. Sigh.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Bingo!

11. Admiral_Young

@TheSeeker, I think you're right regarding the wig. I seem to remember a segment in the Superman Returns documentary where that was brought up and Kate was a bit bashful about the wig lol.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

13. Admiral_Young

The "Superman Earth One" Lois Lane made me think of Jessica Biel. I wonder if that was why she was rumored to be in the running for the role? Gary Frank's Lois is among my favorite depictions of the character. Think I've mentioned that before.

The pic above is familiar but for some reason I can't remember who drew it.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

It looks as if in modern times Lois has been represented as having brown or auburn hair with some frequency. I hope they don't insist that Adams adopt that chocolate brown color; darkening her (politely presumed to be) natural color several shades ought to be enough to satisfy most folks who care at all.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think this is a better example of the short hair.

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good but I wouldn't want to see Adams with that hairstyle in the movie.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Uh...that's a better example of just about everything. :lol:

I don't think she's wearing underwear.

17. Admiral_Young

I'd let her in...

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kind of reminds me of Catherine Zeta Jones.

19. Admiral_Young

^ It does a bit yeah.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Looks very 70s. Maybe early 80s.

[Edit] Looks like it's from 1986, so I was close.