Dark Frontier TV-Movie: Thoughts and First-Time Recollections

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by CaptainMatt, Jan 21, 2012.

1. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I remmeber watching Star Trek Voyager late 1990s and seeing the TV Movie Dark Frontier.
    I was not all that suprised that the Borg were brought back as I knew all about Scorpion and 7of9.
    What did suprise me is the Queen was included and reintroduced for those fans who had seen the feature, Star Trek-First Contact.
    So I am just wondering who else recalls first time seeing this rare event and what their thoughts were then and now. Who thought "SNAP! The Queen! I thought Picard and Data axed her royal ass in the movie!?" or something like that?

2. CaptainMatt

Come on! Surely out of the 40 who have viewed this topic, there is somebody out here who wants to contribute?

3. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My initial thought was "groan... not Borg queen again. Didn't they just kill her off? Oh well, I suppose they'd get another queen."

4. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do realise that shouting "Come on!" and making rather pathetic statements like the one quoted gives you the appearance of a petulant child stamping your feet because no one is giving you attention don't you?

In fact I bet seeing that someone has replied to your topic and excitedly clicking on your thread, only to find this post and not a much-anticipated contribution about Dark Frontier will only fuel your little tantrum.

Oh well...

5. CaptainMatt

What are you some sort of Mod?

6. Sandoval

What are you?

Some sort of ill-tempered child who throw their toys around because people aren't replying to your threads as quickly as you'd like?

7. CaptainMatt

See what I had initially thought was there was just the one Queen and once she was dead she was d-e-a-d dead. But apparently not as the film FC's backstory says she was also there at Picard's assimilation and survived the destruction of that cube as well.

8. Sandoval

Please don't send me any more private messages, I have no desire to converse with a petulant child in a more private manner.

9. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jeez what is wrong with you? Stop acting like such a brat
    I share your frustration OP, sometimes threads I create gets tons of views but no replies, but I think these forums have a lot of lurkers too. Anyway, I never saw "Dark Frontier" the first time it aired but it is one of my favorite episodes.

10. CaptainMatt

I dl not know if you mean me when you said "what is wrong with you" or not. And for the record the only reason I sent the pm was to clear the air instead of doing it on the board itself and risk a flame war. I had assumed a Mod would approve of that but this one didn't.
    I did not ask for him to be so rude to me. I just wanted to talk about Dark Frontier. Thank you for your time and post.

11. You_Will_Fail

I was quoting sandoval, I was addressing him. His reaction was as puzzling as it was unfriendly and rude.

I appreciate a thread on one of my favorite Trek episodes.

12. CaptainMatt

Thank you. I appreciate it. So was it the first time you saw the Queen, or had you seen her in FC or one of the other VOYager episodes? I first saw the Queen in FC and was suprised the writers brought her back, no doubt a rathings hook to be sure. But what of her onscreen relationship to 7of9? It borderlined on sexual almost from what I saw.

13. You_Will_Fail

No, I'd seen the Queen in "First Contact" and hated the whole notion of a Queen but found it worked much better in "Dark Frontier". Her appearances in "Unimatrix Zero" and "Endgame" are a whole different story however.
    And I don't think her interactions with Seven were particularly sexual at all!
    Somebody laughed at me in another thread when I said "Dark Frontier" was better than "Best of Both Worlds" but I feel it was a more personal episode and DF told us a lot more about Seven of Nine and Janeway, than BOBW told us about Riker who I find to be a fairly insufferable character anyway. Scenes such as Seven as helping soon to be assimilated people escape from the Borg vessel and all her interaction with the Borg queen was so much more personal and arresting than what we got in First Contact too. The reveal of Seven's assimilated father was a major O.O moment for me. And of course, it had one of the best cold opens in Trek!

14. Sandoval

All this animosity for calling someone on their temper tantrum!

The OP should be thanking me for kick-starting their thread, look how popular it is now!

I feel so under-appreciated...

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've never cared for "Dark Frontier." Star Trek: Voyager should have moved on from the Borg after "The Raven." Everytime they encountered them again after "The Gift" it cheapened what Kes did for Voyager ("The Raven" gets a pass because it explicitly shows Seven back-tracking into Borg space).

16. CaptainMatt

I say sexual because the Queen always seemed that way to me with her body language in FC and then VOY towards Seven. Just my observation, but there you have it. I like DF as well because it takes such a personal story and weaves it around the Borg whom Ive always been interested in since the old days when TBOBW was brand-spankin' new. So I am partial to both stories.

17. CaptainMatt

18. Lange

Lange Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're the one who sounds like a petulant child. Is your custom-made Picard Uniform riding too tightly up your ass, making you uncomfortable? Maybe got some sand in your vagina?

I'm tired and people are tired your trolling bullcrap, you think you have to sit on here and and act like your God of the forum all knowing. people can't even have a decent discussion without you coming in with your grammar nazi hammer, and godlike correction of what everyone says because the human race is imperfect compared to you.

Let the mods deal with you and if you want to continue to be such a dick than that's your problem.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  19. jokobama

jokobama Cadet

You're a fucking faggot dude.

20. Lange

Lange Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now if I can actually have a actual discussion about the topic with that aside, Dark Frontier is a amazing episode. It really had a epic sci-fi plot and I consider it to be one of the best episodes of Voyager ever. Bringing back the Borg Queen as a villain and having her confront Seven Of Nine after her unique changes and joining the crew was just a great piece of story right there. It was like those plotlines where your apprentice or henchman becomes good and then confronts their boss later on.

I thought the Voyager crew really defeated the Borg in one of the greatest manors since first contact. Voyager itself fighting the tactical cube when in Trek Lore federation ships vs cubes were severely disadvantaged and hopeless, while the Voyager crew really showed their stuff with only moderate damage and showing the Borg their stuff. Also the shielding on the shuttle and the bioshielding or whatever were even more tools to outbest the Borg. It just felt like a epic action movie all the way through and I just really enjoyed Dark Frontier even though i've only seen it once, makes me really need to see it again soon.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012