Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nowhere near as primal, sorry. The whole premise of avarice is arguably rather...civilized.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, doesn't look like there's going to be much. But to be fair, even the TDK blu-ray was pretty disappointing-- lots of random special features but very little about the actual making of the movie.

It seems there are just some movies or directors who aren't as interested in documenting or explaining everything.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Given the movie's under-performance I would expect a double dip on the home video...

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Martin Campbell not being one of them. The lack of features is a corporate decision.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think a double dip would only depend on the sales of the first DVD combined with if they actually have enough special features footage to show on an uber edition which I seriously doubt they do. I don't believe that Campbell has ever recorded an audio commentary before on any of his film's dvd releases. I think the commentary is in fact a director and cast thingy, meaning they do them if they are available or want to do them.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

What did everyone think of the "Extended" Edition of the Green Lantern movie? I noticed while looking for bluray information that it's getting trashed in all the bluray reviews...yikes.

RAMA

7. davejames

Well I suspect most of those are people who didn't like the movie in the first place.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I can't imagine making Green Lantern LONGER would make it a better movie experience.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I say Hugh Jackman as Guy.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's rare, but it happens sometimes. The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (which added about forty-five minutes of material removed from the picture by Fox) is a vastly superior movie than the theatrical version.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

People did complain about alot of stuff that got skimped on, so... if those deleted scenes beef up that stuff, it could make all the difference in the world.

12. Professor Zoom

I don't know... most of my complaints were about the Cloud as antagonist and the Green Lantern Corps looking stupid--you lock your greatest threat away from surveillance? Idiots--I don't think a longer movie will help that.

13. davejames

I agree Parallax probably wasn't the best choice for a first villain, but I'll still take a giant cloud over the giant yellow bug-alien of the comics anyday.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll rent the longer edition but this movie at best will be purchased when it's in a $5 bin, if at all.

Thought we might as well examine it's theatrical run now that it's concluded.

Worldwide=$219m
    US domestic=$116.6m
    Foreign=$103m

Anyone know how those intial DVD base units sold? Compared to it's peers how does that rank?

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Is it out? I thought it wasn't released until Friday 10-14-11?

Amazon has everything released Friday
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ords=green+lantern+2011&sprefix=green+lantern

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither have I. Frankly those numbers are decent. They're not smash hit either. Parallax was needed in order to do the War of Light story which they very clearly intended to do over a trilogy. I didn't like the fact that they combined Krona and Parallax together. As for announcing a sequel...they don't have to rush it. I'm not naive enough to think it's automatic or that it will even happen but I'm also realistic enough to think that they will still green light a sequel. We've got sequels that have made less money and been low profile than "Green Lantern" before.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The gross, worldwide, barely covered the film's production costs. Add in the cost of marketing -- reported to be pretty high for this film -- and you're in the hole. Divide the profits between the distributor (Warner Bros.) and the exhibitors (theatres) and things are looking even more dire.

Geoff Johns says that "he hopes the character gets another film," and he'll probably get his wish, sooner rather than later. Just not a film that is a sequel to this version.

19. Professor Zoom

20. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought most of the complaints was about poorly developed characters, mis cast actors, and dialogue that was groan worthy.

And since the extra footage is just expanding Hal's father's death and Hal asa child the day of that event, it really doesn't address the flaws of the film.

And of course the fact that the transfer is awful, certainly doesn't help at all.