TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. YoungCadet

YoungCadet Cadet Newbie

I'm 13 and started with TNG when I was 11. I wasn't born into it, I just happened to see my dad watching it. I was wondering, why isn't Star Trek as popular as it once was for younger people? I'm the only one at my school who loves it.

2. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Grew up watching all the Star Treks with my dad. Massive fan of TNG, DS9 and (most of) the original crew movies. I like some of the Original Series and some of Voyager but I'm not die hard for them. Looking forward to many discussions across the various forums.

3. Chen

Chen Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I love TNG - used to be a religious Wednesday night pursuit when I was a teenager (because of the TV schedules, not just because I had time to fill on a Wednesday! XD) I did enjoy how much Star Trek evolved from TOS and seeing the lay of the universe in a new century.

Picard is probably my favourite character, although I liked most of them (including Wesley). Riker is great too. Pulaski is one of my favourite doctors ever (controversial!) and I particularly enjoyed the Romulan episodes.

Favourite TNG Moment: In Descent where they're looking for Lore's hideout. Deanna Troi drops the line "Captain, I think I've found something", and it turns out to be an immense building that you'd have to have your eyes in backwards to miss!!!

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I fail to see why people don't like Pulaski. She has her problems with Data, but accepts him grudgingly. Crusher is a bit bland. Pulaski had the better arguments with the crew. But I like them both....;)

5. orlok1138

orlok1138 Ensign Newbie

I love TNG. Nothing beats Worf's love advice haha.

6. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Pulaski came acrosss as abravise and arrogant to me. I think they were going for a female version of Bones but it didn't really work. She lacked charm and was very rude. That said, it was nice to have a main character who rubbed the crew up the wrong way. Ro was another one who did that but she was more endearing than the good doctor.

I agree Beverly was bland. She got better in Season 6 and 7 but she was the least fleshed out of the main cast. The writers didn't seem to care for her much. I still prefer her to Pulaski but Pulaski, love her or hate her, was a lot more developed as a character.

7. TolkienOtaku

TolkienOtaku Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just started a proper re-watch of TNG via Netflix a few days ago.

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Reruns of TNG were my introduction to Star Trek.

9. Lyonsbannor

Lyonsbannor Ensign Newbie

Hello! New here, but not new to Trek, I've been a Trek fan since I was about three. I grew up with The Next Generation, even had all the toys, and moved on to DS9, Voyager, and (grudgingly) Enterprise. While I've been forced to move into other genres and different sci-fi, nothing really compares to the vast universe of stories that is Star Trek.

10. Ember

Ember Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm Sara, close to my 30's ("give me one of those rejuvenation pills, Bones!") and I began watching The Next Generation almost as soon as it was broadcasted on Dutch television. Together with my father (and indirectly with my mother, who'd mock the characters and was all too eager for it to be over again) I'd watch the Enterprise going boldly where no man had gone before. I believe they first broadcasted Unification as a pilot here, as people were familiar already with Spock, but don't quote me on that. There was the occasional TOS episodes here in the Netherlands already, which I would also watch with my father so it didn't take long for me to recognize Spock ofcourse. :vulcan:

As Dutch television prefers to subtitle foreign television series, leaving the original voices untouched, I learned a great deal by just reading the subtitles while listening to the English audio and I'm fairly certain that part of the reason why I autodidactically learned to speak basic English was because of Trek. Being in a wheelchair myself, Trek has always been about giving the finger (or Vulcan salute!) to the boundaries a handicap can bring. Too much sci-fi might have turned me into a bit of a tomboy, but it also gave me a streak of independence. When the city wanted me to go to a special school for the disabled, I put down my foot and demanded I'd follow the same education as anyone else and after a long tug of war, they gave in. Thanks to that attitude I followed a proper education and paved the way for others in my situation to do the same.

Back to the show. As TNG was pretty much syndicated here, shown over and over, it wasn't long before I'd be quoting parts of the show. I must have really annoyed my English teacher later on by quoting "The higher, the fewer" whenever I wanted to be a little smartypants. ;) I remember there was a costume day at school and I ofcourse wanted to go as the captain of the Enterprise, Picard, because hey when you're 10 or so who cares about what gender your idol has? Finding me dressed in a red T-shirt with golden christmas ribbons sewn to the sleeves, with 4 golden buttons for ranking pips (which I undoubtedly had torn from my only good jacket) and black lycra trousers that probably should never have been worn as part of a costume, my mother knew she had finally lost me to the Trekkie fever. My father, dry as his humour can be and seeing my mother agitated, wryly asks if I want him to shave my head before I head out. :lol: Admittedly I'm glad he didn't.

From TNG on I eventually got to watch DS9, Voyager and when the DVD was introduced I finally got to watch TOS proper. Eventually there was Enterprise, which while amusing did not push my Trek buttons and for reasons I'm not sure of gave me more the feeling as if it was a Stargate-esque series. Not always having a lot to do, I played quite a few of the videogames, some of which were good, but many of which weren't. The latest Online game is fun, but fairly liberal on its diverting storyline.

So hi everybody. I'm not going to be a cliche by saying live long and prosper, so let me say instead: "When life tries to pull you away from your dreams back into reality, then don't keep running, just be the best of both worlds."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  11. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Welcome, Ember. Your story is intriguing, though not all that unusual. Uncounted millions of people with physical or social disabilities have found solace in Trek. Your description, though, is fantastic and your command of English is stellar (pun intended). On a personal note, I spent quite a bit of time in the Leiden area on business and learned to love the area and the people. I even had a meal named after me at the Groenendijk hotel but that's another story.

12. Ember

Ember Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Perhaps then, someday I'll hear why. :techman:

13. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Present!

I don't know if my checking in counts because I'm one of those weird ones who likes all of Trek (except for that one movie and there are a couple of episodes within each show that I skip) but for the most part as far as I"m concerned...its all good.

14. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

Hi all, Been a TNG fan since the age of 10/11 back in 1988. Loved it from that point until its very premature end in 1994. Loved all the characters (Picard and Troi my personal two favourites) and also all the morality lessons in the show.

TNG for me has shaped my world view ever since.
    Great show and I never get tired of watching it now all these years later.

(I also love all the other Star Trek shows too!):cool:

15. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

I thinks that's probably because Pulaski came across as being quite grumpy and crotchty but I never had any problems with her as a character. :cool:

16. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

But not as much as TNG, right? ;)

17. dammitjim6400

dammitjim6400 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi I'm Dammitjim6400, my gosh I love TOS, no one is better than Kirk and Spock, But TNG carried on very well..Picard and Data are awesome characters.:techman:

18. Cronus

Cronus Ensign Newbie

Cadet Cronus is present and accounted for. Nice to meet all of you.

I always disliked Deanna Troi... Always so dramatic, and not in a good way. Other than that, I liked all other characters in the series.

19. woodstock

woodstock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I guess I like discussing character development or lack of it, anomalies within and between episodes and characters, continuity and the larger ideas behind Star Trek like diversity, equality and how that universe really worked, political, economical, etc.

TNG didn't end with the show or the movies for me, it continues in the literature and that influences how I see the series.

20. dief25

dief25 Ensign Newbie

Hi, I´m new

I grew up with TNG. It made me who I am. For better or worse.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015