Help Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M.A.C.O., May 21, 2013.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I was gonna say 3 are superhero movies, a distinct genre. Star Wars is science fantasy more than science fiction.

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Iron Man, Spider-Man and the Avengers all have staples of science fiction in their foundations. It's not space and starships like BSG, Star Trek and Star Wars but still in the science fiction genre.

JJ's Trek is a fusion of Mission Impossible meets space scifi but titled Star Trek. The comic movies are mega success, the mission impossible franchise is a mega success. Star Trek should be able to perform on that level.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Ooh, I love that term. Science Fantasy. Thank you. And I agree, 3 superhero movies and a Science Fantasy Saga.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about "Science Fantasy" or "Space Fantasy" (as Lucas originally described Star Wars ) is that Trek fits just as comfortably into that category as Star Wars does.

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well. It will probably still do great business over it's second weekend, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this film needs to succeed in order for the Star Trek franchise to continue having relevance.

6. Borgminister

You've yet to talk to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, I see... :lol:

7. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I have never talked someone out of seeing a movie because don't have the same tastes in entertainment as they do.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I don't think it does, but I've said before it doesn't matter to me what people want to call the films. I do think Lucas is right. Space Fantasy sounds more accurate because there's not a lick of fictional science in any of those movies. I know there are light sabers and such, but they are not presented in a sci-fi way. They just work and they are used, kind of like magic. That's fantasy, not sci-fi.

I just wonder why it seems sometimes that people try really hard to put their sci-fi in another category or cram everything else into a category with sci-fi (like "speculative fiction"). I'm not saying you do this; it's just a thought. :confused:

You know, I think I remember you from another Trek website. I think you were one of the people that said this movie would have issues, and I didn't believe it at the time. Well, I believe now. I'm not happy about it, but it's the truth. You were right, imo.

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Well, I've known my family all my life and my friends for a couple of decades now. We seem to trust each other's judgement when it comes to what to see and what not to see. Heck, I convinced my folks that we should see Battlefield Earth and I don't think we would have had nearly as good a time seeing STID as we did that astounding film.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's quite an achievement to be proud of. You want a cookie?

11. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

My troll alert is up.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

13. Borgminister

HUMBUG!

Didn't Travolta play a Klingon in that?

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

After some consideration, it's hard to see your first post as anything other than an attempt to provoke a negative reaction, especially given the topic of the thread which is about helping to improve STiD's box office. The follow-up post comparing it unfavorably to what is almost universally considered one of the worst mainstream films ever made wasn't much of an improvement.

It's fine to hate the movie. It's fine to complain about the movie. But when you come in to thumb your nose at people in a thread about raising box office by saying how many people you've convinced to stay away, it becomes problematic.

Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.

Then hit notify on the post and let the mods deal with it instead of calling the person out in the thread, please.

15. TheCutestofBorg

TheCutestofBorg Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tried to talk my old man into seeing it and he just straight up B*tch Slapped me across the face. Thats the last time I try and talk a non-trek fan into seeing a trek movie with me.

16. M.A.C.O.

Keep up the faith brothers and sisters. Spread the gospel of Trek to all who will listen.

Current total is rougly $258 million worldwide. Although the foreign numbers have not been updated since May 12th. My personal goal is for the movie to make $500 million worldwide.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

You nearly had me with the first post too :guffaw:

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Someone should phone the king of Jordan or whatever that country is with the big Trek fan and get him to pay for a new movie.

19. M.A.C.O.

I want to visit his Star Trek theme park before I die.

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not sure it's still expected to completed by 2014, but looks like they've finally begun construction on that, anyway.