Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OdoWanKenobi, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i don't dig Zatanna's new look either. and her pre-Flashpoint book was excellent. one of the many good books from that that time that got killed prematurely.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Zatanna's current look is much more movie-friendly. I hope Del Toro sticks with this project, it ought to be right up his alley.

And I'm definitely down for a more proper John Constantine.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? She looked much more like a stripper in her old costume. I could see somebody wearing that thing to bachelor parties. It looked even worse on Smallville.

I like her new look. It has a touch of goth and looks like something somebody might actually wear. It will definitely work in a movie.

As for the rest of the new universe, I really like the redesign of many of the Batman and Flash villains. I like the redesigns for all of the Justice League, with the exception of that little jaw protector thing flash wears. J'onn's costume looks great as well. Green Arrow is fine--I like that they have gone back to his pre-beard look, but I don't like the way the character is actually written. The only two redesigns that I don't like are Hawkman's and slutty--Victoria Secret underwear sporting--Catwoman.

But these are only my opinions and not objective facts.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I totally missed the stripper thing in JLD. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't Catwoman wearing pretty much the same outfit she's been wearing for years now?

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think he was referring to what she wears under the catsuit.

7. theenglish

If any female character in the DCU has been treated horribly, it has been Selina Kyle--she can't zip her suit up all the way apparently and despite her lifestyle seems to feel that lacy, sex bras are more practical than sportswear undergarments.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This version of Catwoman seems to equate her clothing to common bondage gear than to cat burglar attire.

I swear if DC thought they could get away with calling her BDSM-girl, they would.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I hadn't even noticed. I'll have to go back and check.

10. theenglish

I don't necessarily have a criticism with the actual story, other than the quality pales in comparison with her previous series, but I can't get past the art. I am embarrassed to read it around my wife and daughter who feel like it epitomizes every misogynist stereotype about comic books -- sorry if there are actually fans of the series here but that's just the way I feel.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say James Marsters myself. Maybe not a big enough name though?

I like Zee's old costume, and it seems to work pretty well in animation (see Young Justice, for example), but I think you're right on here.

This sounds like a great project and perfect for Del Toro, I hope he sticks with it.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Oh, yeah it looks fine in animation, but IMO it would only really work in live action if they had it as a stage costume she wore while she wore something more along the lines of her current costume out on the streets. They did manage to pull of the classic costume on Smallville, but I thought it looked kinda goofy there.

13. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

We can only take superhero women seriously if they just wear granny panties!!!!!!

Because otherwise, the world of Wonder Woman, Supergirl and all these other fictional women with super powers who do things not actually possible in real life just doesnt make sense!

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This could be a good way to grant a wider exposure to Constantine and in turn the more magical side of the DCU to the general public. Sure, animation is still a niche realm to many but it's a start.

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That could be good or bad. Hopefully its not done by the people who made Justice League: War and Throne of Atlantis. Also, I hope it takes the idea but makes it an original story, because the comic was pretty awful. The idea was good, but the comic was definitely not. Plus, the New 52 screwed over Zatanna, so I hope if she's on the team we get more of a classic Zatanna.

I also definitely hope we get no cameos by Batman or the normal Justice League. DC seems to be convinced (despite sales evidence to the contrary) that Batman or the Justice League needs to be in every Direct to DVD animated movie they put out, and I'd like to see some more varied stuff from the Animated movies again.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only read the first collected edition of the comics, but I really liked it, so I'm looking forward to this.
    I think the main Justice League made a short appearance in one of the JLD issues, so I have a feeling they'll probably be in this too.

18. theenglish

The JLD started off really well and was good until the Trinity War. I disagree with Kirk55555 on this as I think Zatanna was well written for the most part. By the time Forever Evil rolled around the concept was already a mess.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I really hated how her whole backstory became infected with Constantine in the New 52. She was suddenly his old girlfriend, Constantine was responsible for her Dad's death, etc. She wasn't a strong character anymore, she was Constantine's ex that gets recruited for his team. Her whole New 52 existence revolves around the overrated idiot in a trenchcoat.

She also acts nothing like Zatanna has acted in any form during her creation until 2011, and has been redesign to look more like chriss Angel then a stage magician. The destruction of Zatanna as a character means I pretty much loathe JLD and whatever moron wrote it. She's another in-name-only character, like New 52 Harley Quinn, Starfire, Power Girl, "Shazam", etc. So, I'd say the idea of JLD was ruined immediately because of the horrible writer and people in charge of DC. Hopefully the movie uses the JLD name, concept, and nothing else.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well, the running time just went from two hours to an hour and ten minutes :lol: