Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

SUPERMAN (Excellent)

Even though I had some problems with the "Finale"...mainly with the whole Darkseid story which was dumb for them to attempt anyway after "Failsday"...over all I was pleased. Sad to see Tess die, great seeing Aaron Ashmore as Jimmy...the Lex stuff was good. The first hour was slow but it wasn't too bad...as far as CGI Superman? It was more than I was expecting and feared I didn't have a problem with it. Hearing the Superman theme music was awesome!

By the way..."A network like CW" doesn't have a vast budget. :rolleyes:

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched it in the first two seasons then only periodically would catch an episode here or there. I had stopped watching it but was curious how they would end it.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I am pretty sure Eletric Coleslaw was being ironic. ;)

So then your complaint that the finale should have been a showdown between Darkseid and Clark had no basis as you hadn't (presumably) seen the episodes that outlined this season's overall arc.

4. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That whooshing sound you hear is the sarcasm of my post whizzing over your head.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I voted Kal-El. It was pretty much what I expected and those were extremely low expectations. I really don't know what some of you who are bitching about this expected. This is the same old stuff that we've seen since day one. Why would you expect anything else? LOL. Anyways enjoyed seeing Rosey again...and btw Lex didn't "get" amnesia he was given it by Tess as a last means of redemption for her character. Cassidy was a trooper again as always. The shit they put her character through and she still emerges as one of the strongest actors on the show. The CGI Superdouche wasn't too bad...again what were people expecting? It was nice hearing the John Williams music at the end of the episode. Glad I'm done with with this disappointing series.

6. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

If you say so. :rolleyes:

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching it now. It's sad to see yet another one of my favorite shows end, though I've only been watching the last few seasons. It all comes down to this. Everything is falling into place. Clark and Lois finally getting married. Oliver ridding himself of the Darkness. The whole Darkness saga leading to the finale. Lex Luthor coming back to life. I guess this is more climactic for me, not having known it was going to end sooner than I expected.

8. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

To be brief, it was the minimum of what was acceptable. It was a good finale, I liked it. But I wanted more suit time. More close-up suit time. A single long draw-up shot of him from boots to hair in the damn suit.

Good finale, very good. But my desire for more suit will always taint it. It just barely skimmed by on the minimum on that front.

9. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I just finished watching it and overall I thought it was a great finale. It had its ackward points to say the least....but it started out good, held on and ended okay.

More suit time would have been good and I am curious as to why they never showed him in the full suit up close.

10. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I watched the first 3 seasons but then gave up on it. And then I caught one or two episodes per year thereafter. To say I was expecting a shit-show from this finale would be seriously understating the case.

...And I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't classic TV or anything but not once during the two hours did I feel like I was wasting my time. All the emotional beats (even the stuff in the first hour) landed for me. I was gonna cry foul on the CGI Superman but basically, CGI or not, Supes was on Smallville. And they really earned a lot of good will with that Seven Years Later bit.

From what I've seen of this show, it was often pretty brutal with fleeting glimpses of greatness. Given that, I think they pulled off the best finale they possibly could have. We got the obligatory Superman moments and the rest was devoted to tying up Smallville shit. And that's okay. Like it or not, this show has been doing its own thing for a very long time now and it's not fair to expect it to deny its origins. It can't help but be Smallville-y in its final episode.

It gets an Above Average from me. And that's a real grade. If I were grading on a curve, it'd easily be the best thing Smallville's ever done.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been a big Smallville fan off and on since it started (I loved it for the first three or four years, stopped watching for a year or two, and have loved it again for the last three or four years) and IMO this was the perfect way to end the show. Honestly, I think this was one of the best finales I've seen in a while, if not in overall quality, at least in being an appropriate ending for the show. The only real issue I had with it was how quickly they killed off Darkseid, I was expecting this big knock down drag battle that would take up most of the last 10 or 15 minutes, and he killed him in one hit. I absolutely loved the seven years later bit, and TBH it kinda makes me wish they would do a Smallville movie instead of Zack Snyder's Man of Steel.

He spent alot more time in the suit than I expected, TBH. I expected the last minute or 30 seconds of the show to be him putting on the suit for the first time and then flying past the camera.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't perfect, but I still thought it was a great finale. I think they could've done a better job with Tess's death in the hands of Lex and the whole scene where Clark saved the Earth from Apokolips. The ending certainly felt rushed, fast-forwarding to present-day Metropolis (+7 years into the future). Tess has been an integral part of the team, and it would've been nice to see an "epilogue" showing her funeral and the Blur, a.k.a. Superman, revealing himself to the public.

EDIT:

I agree. The battle scenes (e.g., Oliver's confrontation, Clark vs. Darkseid) were less than epic; instead, they put too much emphasis on Clark and Lois' relationship.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he did kinda revealed himself to the public when he flew past to get rid of Apokolips. Or do you mean actually going before a camera in the costume and speaking to the public as Superman?

14. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

All the things I saw in the final 15-20 minutes would make a great introduction to a real Superman show. In fact, it is what this lame show should have been for the last 3-4 seasons.
    Also, we should do what they did to that senator guy Rick Santorum. And basically all of us go around and keep posting the words Tom Welling and Prima Donna or Deuche in as many places as we can then we can get it so that when ever anyone types Tom Welling into google the first thing that will come up is Prima Donna and Deuche.

15. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before Lois turned the camera on the President, I thought she was going to file the brief 2011 version of Margot Kidder's "I Spent The Night With Superman" and that's how they'd handle it.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was outraged and confused and dumbstruck. How? When? When... WHAT THE FUCK!?

Seriously, how did he get rid of Apokolips without removing the gravametric attraction of half the populations omega Sigils? The story was leading up to the notion that he was going to inspire humanity to repel Apokolips and the darkness by discarding their marks and denying Darseid, but instead he just shoves it with his shoulder and every one feels safe enough to reject Darkseid because they have a caretaker to look after them and that is why they lost their marks... Was the cart before the horse or the horse before the cart?!

DAMN YOU KELLY AND BRIAN!

It's like words like Cohesive and contiguity are just concepts that happen in other peoples productions.

The last 5 minutes were cool.

(I teared up a little.)

Chloe with Ollie Junior was extraordinary too.

17. Admiral_Young

^ It would have been perfect if Chloe had said "Good night Roy." when she turned off the lights. LOL.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would have been amazing.

Though the comic doesn't make sense, if like the cover suggests that it was (mass)produced by DC Comics, unless the world knows that Clark Kent is Superman.

(Retrieved from a mirror universe?)

Um.

Are we sure that Mommy was Chloe and not Allison, or some one else entirely that we could be arguing a Saint Elsewheres like every episode of Smallville before this has been made up comic book bedtime stories for that kid?

The Warrior Angel jammies on the kid were a nice touch.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Yep. Agreed. The comic was a nice framing device but ultimately pointless...unless it was a one of a kind comic. :) Nice to know DC Comics are still holding the line at $2.99 in 2018.

20. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Really, it was chalk full of massive plot-holes...

Younger Jimmy Olsen looking identical to his older dead brother, and looking too old as well. Why did Lois and Clark postpone the wedding for 7 YEARS? Why was Chloe reading a comic to her son (?) that reveals such information... why was Apololipse so easy to get rid of? Darksied so easy to defeat?

Really, it's symbolic of the entire show.

It was good, but far from great. It had awesome moments, surrounded by lots of holes and soap opera lovey drama.

I was more excited by the canadian promos. Not that there where not a bunch of awesome moments, but if we'd gotten to explore such over this last year, it'd have been much better.

In the end, the legacy of Smallville, I think, will be the longest tease in television that in the end, delivered by the skin of it's teeth rather than leaps and bounds as it should have.